We love to travel, but we do have to be careful. Tourists are often seen as easy marks. I know I'm one of them since they've attempted to pick my pockets and backpacks several times in Portugal, Rome, Paris, etc.
Now it appears you have to be careful while you're on the airplane too!
My friend, Myrtle just sent me an e-mail about thieves that:
"...sit in the back row of the plane observing where bags are behind or away from the passengers and systematically pull them from the overhead lockers, while passengers rest or watch movies, take them to the back of the plane and steal any valuable contents.
They prey on foreign airlines as the penalties are so lenient, the pay-off makes it worth the risk.
I naively have never thought of robbers operating on planes, but now I have experienced it first hand, there are a few takeaways:
1. Hand luggage should ALWAYS be locked.
2. Do not assume luggage under your seat is safe....last week one passenger had her purse stolen by the guy sitting next to her while she slept!
3. If in doubt, wear or keep any valuables ON YOU at all times!
4. Don't assume, like me, that everyone on a flight is a law-abiding citizen.
5. Do not assume business class travel is secure....robbers can be wealthy..."
This is so annoying. I shall be getting some locks for my carry-ons now. I guess you can never be too careful. Another thing I never do is wear or carry any valuable jewelry with me when I travel. Well... to be honest I don't have much valuable jewelry. They've already been handed down to the kids.
However, I shall be much more vigilant about other things since we do carry our iPad and Kindle with us. Those things all have security code locks on them just to be on the safer side. I guess we'll also be careful about not going to the bathroom at the same time. Please be careful, everybody. First there's annoying vacuum salesmen and women. Now there's airplane thieves! What next?