Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Stolen Wallet! Rats!

The only horrible thing about yesterday's expedition to see the movie, Departures is that Art got his wallet lost and stolen.

Suddenly he had no identity. How weird is that?

We know it had to have happened between the time that he paid for the tickets in the theater lobby of the Kahala Mall and after the movie when we went to pick up lunch at the food court. None of the staff say they saw it even though we went right back.

We had to cancel all the credit cards right away and then get a new driver's license. There's still more cards to replace and it's a ton of trouble. It's a good thing we each carry different credit cards.

The only helpful thing we had was a photo copy of the contents of his wallet that we did several years ago. It was old but helpful because in order to get his driver's license replaced, you need a photo ID. All his photo IDs were in his wallet! AND we don't have our passports because we sent it in to be renewed. This was a wake up call for me too so I updated my wallet contents again just to be careful.

We just called the library and they said we should report it to the police station in order to get a free library card replacement.

This is just a little reminder for everybody. Art says he won't put so much into his wallet again. It's scary.

24 comments:

  1. Oh, Kay, I'm so sorry! What a pain in the whatever! This is just a sad reminder of all the things we need to do in order to protect ourselves from identity theft! I hope it all gets taken care of quickly!

    I'll hold good thoughts for you both!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was stressful, for sure. Maybe it will arrive by mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my goodness..to lost a wallet is the most troublesome one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. good advice, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. That's terrible. I need to be more prepared for such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so sorry...You are right, I couldn't tell you everything that is in my wallet....I am going to take a look and make a list...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. I think I'll be putting all my wallet contents on the scanner and taking a photo! Thanks for the heads up. I am sorry to hear about the hassle you're having to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's terrible Kay I am so sorry. I hope you get it all sorted out.

    And thanks for the excellent tip on copying it, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's awful news. Good that you had any kind of photocopies though. I also keep too much in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry, Kay!

    But thanks for the great lesson

    Aloha, neighbor!

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  11. Major bummer. Sorry about that.

    I also do the photographing thing and remove unneeded cards when I go to certain places and use a "wallet" small enough to fit in my FRONT pocket.
    I was with two different friends who lost their wallets to pickpockets on crowded buses on Jaffa Street. It was a good lesson.

    Good luck in all the replacement work now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went through this ordeal once: my handbag was stolen by a student in my class! What a pain to have to close accounts, replace credit cards, etc. I hope Art gets everything replaced soon, and now I'm about to make photocopies of my wallet's contents....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds serious. No, never saw the movie Departures. Will have to look for it here or buy it.

    Patty, my wife, only carries driver's license and car keys when she goes somewhere. If she is going shopping she carries a small purse that fits in one hand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a terrible thing to deal with. Thank heaven he had the photo copy of the wallet's contents!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah there are so much trouble when you lost a wallet. So gotta be more careful next time ok?...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no--what an awful thing! I hope it didn't shake you up too badly; I hate losing things with my address and everything on it. Good point about the library card, because someone can walk away with a small fortune in CDs, DVDs, and books, then you'll get the bill in a month's time. But often people forget to report it, or don't think it's important.

    My husband has lost his a few times, so now he carries two smaller ones: one with his license and most cards, and the other with one credit card and his cash. If he loses one, it won't be a *complete* catastrophe.

    Great idea to make the photocopy! We'll do that too, on our next trip to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry about the lost wallet. I read years ago about photocopying the items in your wallet, which I did promptly. However, that was years ago and I must get everything copied today, as some of the cards have changed, my drivers license has changed, etc. hmmm...something to remember to do annually. I do hope everything is replaced quickly for Art. I would not want that hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am sure i had commented here earlier...it was published twice so i had deleted one.I have come back to thank you for visiting me today..your smiling face on my comment section makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH How Horrible!! I got my purse stolen once. It had everything in it except the kitchen sink!
    Did you have checks in it? Even if not, report it to the bank right away! My checks got stolen, and they wrote about $600 worth of stuff. What saved me is that I reported it to the police, then I had to get a Report from the police (Dang, can't remember the name of the paper; but this paper was very helpful and the only way that you weren't liable for anything the theives did. I couldn't use my driver's license at grocery store. I had no ID. BUT, the stores the thieves when to didn't as for an ID, I'm guessing.
    Anyway, you need to carry that piece of paper everywhere with you to prove your ID/info/cards did get stolen or you are liable for whatever the theives spend/do.
    IF you had checks stolen, CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT! When I asked the bank clerk if I should close it, she said no, because I had come in with that Police report. LIE. Guess she didn't know. The theives couldn't had used those checks, cuz the account would have been closed.
    My family pictures had been taken, insurance cards, try to remember to call every one. Then you'll have to show that piece of paper to all. Sorry I can't remember what that paper is called. But, ask the police.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Even is you have credit cards through you banks, close the account. I have been to my drive through, riding as a passenger, and I give my girlfriend my withdrawal slip, and my license.
    they have video cams that they can see you and talk to you. And, They have NEVER not given me my money, and they couldn't see me in the passenger seat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Kay, that is awful! I have a photocopy of the contents of my wallet too! I need to update that, thanks for the reminder. I guess you just can never be too careful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yikes, very scary. Hmmm, have to take a picture won't I.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I often think about what would happen if I lost my purse, and quickly change the topic. Now I have put photographing the contents on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.