Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Illegal !^%!&# Fireworks!!!

Enough is enough! I feel like I've been hearing fire crackers go off since after Thanksgiving and it's ridiculous! Some of the fire crackers aren't fire crackers. They are explosions! Horrendous! The walls of the house actually shake and I've heard more than one car alarm go off from the shock waves.

Each year the smoke from the fireworks sends people with respiratory conditions to the hospitals. I have one friend who actually went to stay at a hotel with more air tight rooms and air conditioning because she has asthma. It also injures and sometimes kills people who were playing with or near others who were exploding the fireworks stupidly.

This has been a problem since before we left the islands over 35 years ago. Setting off firecrackers to ward off evil spirits going into the new year is a Chinese custom. Hawaii is a melting pot for different worldwide customs. So why not set off a few state regulated fireworks at Chinese (lunar) New Years?

Here's the Law:
§132D-3 Permissible uses of consumer fireworks. Consumer fireworks may be set off, ignited, discharged, or otherwise caused to explode within the State only:

(1) From 9:00 p.m. on New Year's Eve to 1:00 a.m. on New Year's Day; from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Chinese New Year's Day; and from 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on the Fourth of July;...


Well... I'm thinking there's a WHOLE lot of crazy people out there who don't know the law or don't care.

I just saw this article in the Star Bulletin this morning.




Fireworks are on sale EVERYWHERE we go. It really IS ridiculous! Maybe I'm just cranky from having explosions go off at 2:30 in the morning. The police can't catch the culprits because by the time they get there, the crazy perpetrators are gone.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit these past few days. I've had insomnia and my cold is not 100% gone yet. I thought I had it licked and we went for our usual walk in the evening. Doing too much along with the irritating fireworks explosions in the middle of the night may have caused a bit of a relapse. I have one day to shape up for New Years!

20 comments:

  1. Use the a/c, Kay! That's what we do!

    Our neighbors tie a wire from the telephone pole to their roof and then string 20 feet of firecrackers on it. They light it at midnight. I'll try to photograph it for my blog.

    Good thing about my neighbors is that they ALL sweep up the mess so the street is bare and clean on New Year's Day.

    David bought a bottle of champagne. We plan to drink it around midnight!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading this, I could hear fireworks exploding down the block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! I've never heard of that custom, but I guess it makes sense. I can see how it would be annoying. Hope you can sleep soon and finally get over that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Word. Your post reminds me of our stint in Chengdu, China, in 2004-2006, off and on. We heard and saw fireworks every weekend, I swear. The reason for them we were never sure, but they did light up the city something fierce! I'd forgotten all about this until I read your post, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when my oldest son was a missionary in Taiwan and he phoned to tell us about all the exploding firecrackers. Scary-hope it's soon over for you. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too had never heard of this custom. I think I would be wearing ear plugs 24/7! I do hope you are feeling much better soon. Have a wonderful New Year! P.S. Oh, I did do some year end cleaning, thanks to your Mom! I cleaned out under the sink in Ashton's bathroom and the drawers in it! Now I am pooped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have this problem too; people here are crazy for fireworks and light them every chance they get. They're illegal in the Republic but everyone buys them up North and brings them over the border. It's worst at Halloween but New Years and other holidays always have them.

    Considering the danger they are, it's amazing that the State doesn't do something to at least cut back on the number going off, like taxing them or limiting their sale with a license or something.

    I had to ROFL at Cheryl--we spent the day cleaning too, and took down the Christmas tree. It *does* feel nice.


    Rest up and get well soon Kay, don't start the new year sick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness we don't have that much of a problem at all and in fact I haven't a heard a single firework so far. I do hope you're feeling better soon! Wishing you and Art a very Happy New Year! And may the fireworks go away soon!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. we had some kids busting firecrackers next door last night with the lolo parents practically cheering them on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many years ago, 40 to be exact, we were in Honolulu over New Years. It sounded like the island was exploding, looked like it was going up in smoke, and the streets were red with firecracker wrap. A war zone of celebrating.
    Take care and do what you can to be calm in the uproar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fireworks always make me nervous, unless it's a professional show and I'm far away. Kay I noticed these two ladies today in a crowded Ikea and wouldn't you know, they had their backs turned from their cart, inspecting some carpets and one of them had a large Coach handbag sitting in the top section and the other lady's bag was in the lower compartment. I thought of you and couldn't believe it. My husband goes 'want to steal it?' very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Year's isn't fireworks time here in Ohio.

    It sounds like you are on overload.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate them and people go nuts here with them even though they are illegal. They do put off a lot of toxic smoke... It sounds like you had a really nasty bug and it will take a while to get back to your normal energy level. I have trouble sleeping so I can relate..I hope that too improves as you recover more... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel the same as you about fireworks Kay. I'm afraid of them and what they can do. Around 4th July I am always worried one might land on our house and set the place on fire and when you get kids setting them off it's always a worry they may be injured. I daresay we'll be hearing a few this evening.

    Do hope you start feeling better soon. Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can empathize with you. Fireworks are illegal here, but there are always people who ignore that fact. If they stick to the beach, it isn't too bad. But many wet them off right over our houses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you feel better soon.

    Happy New Year to you, your family and your commenters.

    Regards,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, we all know how I feel about fireworks in general after The Hubby's big "blow-up" last year!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.