Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

It's rather funny that I'm always the LAST one to wish everybody a Happy anything.


The children in our neighborhood are having a great time firing off fire crackers.

We celebrated the 4th by taking advantage of the mattress sales. We have finally made our nine months long decision on which bed to buy. No, we didn't buy it on Craigslist. We went to Slumber World and checked out their Ironman latex blend mattress but ended up buying an ALL organic natural talalay latex Vera Wang mattress at America's Mattress. The owner, Chris helped us make the decision. He was lying down on the mattresses along with us. It was rather hilarious. I told Chris I was worried about the mattress being able to make the turn up the stairs to the master bedroom, but he said the latex mattress is really pliable because it's rubber so we shouldn't have a problem. He also said he'd give us a month to make sure we liked it and if we didn't we could return it. Then he threw in a mattress cover. What a nice guy!

Whoa! The firecrackers are going off full force across the street. Happy 4th everybody!

12 comments:

  1. I never had much money as a kid so I never got to "fire off" firecrackers unless somebody gave me some to light. When I got older and did have money I always had other things to spend it on. When I got married and we had kids, I did buy firecrackers once or twice. But usually both those "Sparklers" because they were less dangerous but hotter than the sun and we gave them to our youngest kids to twirl around. LOL

    Fortunately, the kids are mostly over 50 now and can buy their own.

    They were all here yesterday and nobody has a single firecracker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Happy 4th of July to you!!!

    I hope you enjoy your mattress! I am sure you will.
    We don't have the latex at home, we have the memory foam which is less expensive but ever so nice still. My husband has hip problems and it cradles it just perfectly!
    I always had customers complain about how warm the latex was but for those suffering body aches or joint pain, it was a wonderful and soothing relief and I would often recommend it as it would feel wonderful for those folks when they woke up in the morning... they felt so much less stiff.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Hugz♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. after 10 days of vacationing and sleeping on different mattresses in motels, it's wonderful to be home to our familiar comfortable bed at home. I never did firecrackers too dangerous but loved sparklers as a child. so do my grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whew, Kay, you and Art sure are on a buying spree! New car - filing cabinet, chairs, and now a bed! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new mattress! I hope it works out well--we need a new one soon too and I dread the choosing, then getting rid of the old one, etc etc. Just as well we've left home for a few weeks instead LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abe: I think the love of firecrackers in Hawaii started with the Chinese people in Hawaii to scare away evil spirits at New Years. Millions of dollars are spent in firecrackers in Hawaii every year.

    Michele: We did try the memory foam but it was just a bit too soft for me and Hawaii is so HOT as it is that I wanted something cool to lie down on. We'll see how much we really like this one.

    Lin: I remember when we were traveling in Nova Scotia. One of the bed and breafasts had the perfect mattress. I wish I could remember the name. She even told me what it was.

    Gigi: That's one thing about moving so far away and not bringing everything with you. You have to replace stuff. We have just one thing more to buy. Bedroom furniture for the master bedroom. We've been looking for that since we moved here last July and STILL haven't found the one we like. Then again, we couldn't buy the bedroom furniture until we knew what size bed we were going to get...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan: They say you're supposed to change your mattress every 10 year. Ha! We had our other mattress for at least twice that or more. It was definitely very saggy by the time we left Illinois and we left it out for trash. One of the reasons we did choose the all latex mattress was because it's got a 30 year warranty. I don't even think the store will be around that long but they must feel pretty confident about the bed. We figured the bed just has to last another 30 years for us at this stage of our lives. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting how stores are open on July 4th..only in the U.S.!

    The Latex mattress sounds interesting, especially if it helps joint pain, I'm getting there!

    I was thinking you have the perfect life, Kay, retired in Hawaii where it's warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to make a decision..I wish you and Art many, many nights of good sleep Kay..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a great day Kay. Happy 4th of July a little late myself here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine: I think it's the memory foam that helps with the joint pain, not the latex. We wanted the latex because it's supposed to be durable.

    Michelle and Denise: Thanks very much! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The month thing is very important with a mattress. I have been told to lay on it for a full 15 mins to be sure it feels ok, but I'd feel like an idiot in a store LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.