Friday, March 26, 2010

Day #4 Mito, Kairakuen Garden

It's now 12:35 AM! It's so late and I have so many photos. What do I do? Sigh...

Thank you everybody for your encouragement. I don't know how long I can keep up with just four hours of sleep.


Today's busy day began with a Skype call from Tiffany and KC. It was fantastic seeing them on our computer although they're on the other side of the world. How weird to think we're talking to them on Friday but it's Thursday in Chicago.


We had an oatmeal and fruit platter breakfast and were on our way.


The bellhop found a taxi for us right away. The taxi took us to Ebisu station. We met our friends Sam and Keiko there. Sam is Art's old Bradley University college buddy.


We noticed quite a few people wearing masks. I thought they were being very polite about not spreading their germs but that's not the case. They're wearing the masks to protect themselves from swine flu.


I've now been made aware of the different helpful facilities for the handicapped. As I was taking a photo of the private bathroom for handicapped people I noticed this fellow going into the Ladies Bathroom. He came out a moment later very shame faced.


Once again the JR train attendants were very accomodating.


Being on the train was fine. Everybody is very respectful, but it was extremely crowded.


From the Ebisu station we caught the Shinkansen bullet train to Mito.


Mom and Auntie were happy as clams, but thought we were too late to see any plum blossoms that the garden in Mito is famous for. There were other flowers also but mostly plum trees. I have no idea what this is.


We were not disappointed. There was a LOT to see.

Here's what it said in the Garden's flyer.
"Kairakuen, one of the three historically noted gardens in Japan, was built by Nariaki Tokugawa (1800-1860) the ninth Lord of Mito. The name Kairaku means to share pleasure with people.

Auntie took full responsibility for keeping her sister comfortable and pushed her the entire way.


The bamboo forest was gorgeous.


We had fun seeing different birds at the Garden.


I thought these beautiful plum trees were fake bonsai but when I went closer I discovered they were real bonsai trees!

Mom and Auntie loved seeing all the flowers and talking to everybody.


I love camelias!
I'd never seen a camelia tree this big.


I'll bet mom was dying to get up and walk on her own, but Auntie kept pointing things out to her and they loved all the flowers.


This crow had the most arrogant walk I've ever seen. He just seemed to exude attitude.
Art took this photo of the water fountain.


We were surprised to learn that this was a cherry tree.


Sam showed me this plum tree and said it was called "Full Moon because of that hole in the trunk."



We were all freezing! I have a feeling the temperature was in the 30's.


Sam and Keiko treated us to lunch. I love how the Japanese have these elaborate dishes with a little bit of many delicious and healthy things to eat. I very rarely see overly overweight people in Japan.


I had the tempura soba. We were enjoying being in a warm restaurant eating hot food.


There were a lot of shops specializing in plum products and bought a LOT. Well... let me revise that. Auntie bought a LOT!


There are over 3,000 plum trees in Kairakuen gardens and 300 varieties. The Japanese love plum blossoms because it's the first trees to blossom in spring and as delicate as it looks is able to stay beautiful after a snowfall. It symbolizes beauty and strength... according to the two sisters.


Even though it was late in the season for the plum blossoms, they were just gorgeous.


Yes, we did take a million photos of plum blossoms. I know I shouldn't post so many but I couldn't help myself.


We were truly breathless with delight... or maybe we just didn't want to breathe too much of the cold air.


It was amazing to see all the different shades of plum blossoms.


Many of the trees are extremely old and the branches have to be propped up like a crutch.


The Lord's house is well preserved but we had to remove our shoes to enter. The floors were like ice. No wonder people didn't live long in those days.

Japanese homes were built differently from the west. Here the rooka (hallways) are on the outside perimeter of the house so you don't walk through a house.

I stayed downstairs with mom while everyone else went up to the second floor and took a photo.

Another bird! I have no idea what kind it is.


When we came to Japan two years ago we ate soft serve ice cream EVERYWHERE we went. We loved trying the different flavors. Here they served plum, of course. I wanted to try it but my frozen fingers refused to allow me to get one.

As we were leaving the park these plum blossom girls in kimonos came along and posed with everyone. Look closely at this little girl. We thought it was hilarious that she held this pose with her fingers in her cheeks for such a long time.
We returned to Tokyo and grabbed a quick carry-out meal. Then Art and I did some laundry, sent a suitcase to Narita airport and got ourselves organized for tomorrow.
We'll be leaving Tokyo for Takayama.
Oh my gosh! Is it really 1:28 AM? I need to get to bed.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Kay! I always look forward to your posts. Looks like you and your family are having a grand time.

    I loved those bonsai trees. They do look fake, don't they! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun, I look forward to your daily posts and photos-gorgeous blooms. The food looks scrumptious. Don't know how you keep awake. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, gloriorous day!!!! And the smile on your mother's face is preiceless!!!!

    That said, don't worry about posting!!!!! Get some rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bamboo is huge, and gorgeous.
    And the chair's wheels are really small. And you are doing a great job with your family and with your blog-family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the updates, Kay! Really really nice pictures. Almost like we're there with you; but of course get more sleep than you. I can see the toothpicks you used to prop your eyes open last night. You forgot to take them out... nah, gambatte kudasai!

    aloha,
    walt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know how you find the time and energy to do these posts while travelling. Enjoyed seeing those large plum blossoms, don't know if I've seen those before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fabulous gardens! Don't ever apologize for posting such wonderful pictures. The more the better.
    Now, for heaven's sake, get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay, I am so glad you shared all those photos with us-the plum blossoms are simply gorgeous!! I love the picture with your mother laughing-she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I loved seeing all the wonderful photos!
    Thanks for sharing them, Kay.
    Take good care & I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

    Margie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay, I love that you are blogging this as it is happening. It is wonderfully fun to see. Do get some sleep though, otherwise you will just rember this trip as a blur and I think it is something to be savored.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That bamboo forest is amazing! Your pictures are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great day!



    So enjoyable-



    Aloha from back in Hawaii, my Friends!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful gardens, Kay. And you're right: that crow does exude attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful day. The plum blossoms are so pretty I don't blame you for taking so many photos. Good luck traveling tomorrow - how you keep going amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are an amazing person, Kay! I love visiting your blog and visiting all the places you travel to, too! Get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm at the Oregon coast, catching up with you. Beautiful! I love the very old trees!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beauty around you Kay, and I love how the food is presented. Those ladies looked lovely in their kimono's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like all your photos, all those trees with blosoms are very nice. I am glad your mom is seeing all of this. I liked the Bobsai trees.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kay,
    Thanks for informing me your trip to Japan. Am sort of glad that people you met in Japan were kind. There is one thing I don't like in Japan is their smoking habit. I have been out of this country for 9 years (3 years in NYC, 10 month in Iowa, 5 years in Sweden!) and as soon as I come back to Japan, It smelled like cigarette! Everywhere!
    Please let me know if you and your family members have a chance to visit Japan. We live close to Nikko, another World Heritage sites!
    Have a wonderful day.
    Yoshi

    ReplyDelete
  21. We're planning to return to Japan next year to see the highlights of Sakamoto, Ryoma's life. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.