Friday, December 3, 2010

My Daughter, the Rabbit

2011 is the Year of the Rabbit. This is my daughter's year. She's a rabbit. There are twelve animal signs of the Asian zodiac. I know it's considered the Chinese zodiac. However, my mother goes by the Japanese zodiac. (Click on these two links to find out what you are.) I think the traits attributed to each animal are a bit different in each country. It's so broad anyway that your personality can hold true with any year as far as I'm concerned.



I do think my daughter is a bunny. She's sweet, soft, generous and kind. She's also very quick about getting things done hopping in every direction.

My son is a horse. He's physically strong, an excellent runner and hard to tame. Believe me. I've tried.

Art is a monkey. He's quite clever, agile and yes, he likes bananas.

I'm a cow. I'm supposed to be patient. I don't think I am. I tend not to run around a whole lot. Just leave me in a pasture and I might be content with a plate of salad.

My mother is a snake. It says snake people achieve financial security through continued persistence. That fits. She may appear sweet and kind to others (she is), but if anyone should hurt her family in any way, they will feel her bite.

KC is a dog. Right now she's a cute puppy so we'll see how she turns out as she grows up.

I remember 7 year old Jon in a Chinese restaurant decades ago looking at the paper Chinese Zodiac place mat. I think it said something about horse people being childish and stubborn. His eyes grew very big and he said, "How did they know?"

18 comments:

  1. But does Tiffany like carrots? :)

    This is a fun post.
    I don't even know what animal I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was teaching I used to do a week's project on the Chinese New Year, and the children used to love the stories connected with how the years got their animal names, and to find out what animal they are. And I used to get fun out of seeing which attributes were appropriate. Apparently I'm a rat, but I don't know if the attributes work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked and I am the Dog in the Japanese Zodiac are the most loyal of individuals. Dogs carry a sense of duty in the things they do and have a high level of loyalty towards others. Dog sign individuals carry the fine quality in which nature has to offer.

    I see you are a cow and your mom is a snake. I liked the last paragraph you wrote a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me chuckle. If I go by the Western calendar year, I am a dog (per a jewelry store in Hong Kong, where I bought a dog pendant).

    But if I go by the Chinese lunar year, I am something else (can't remember if it was an ox or a rooster).

    Then according to my horoscope, I am a goat or a Capricorn.

    Go figgah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your link to the Chinese zodiac, Kay. It says I am a rooster, which means I bought the wrong pendant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dina: Tif is OK with carrots, but it's not her favorite veggie. Do check the link and see what animal you are. :-)

    Amanda: What a fun lesson that had to have been.

    Abe: I hope KC will have those finer attributes as well.

    Gigi: Oooops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. According to the Japanese zodiac I am a rooster! Well that's interesting! I have to find out what I am with the Chinese zodiac! Do you believe this? I am sorry but I cannot believe that horoscopes are really predicting the future!;))
    Still it's a nice game!
    Thank you for your visit! I didn't see the news yet, so I don't know how the situation is now. I hope with you that this will soon be over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm a rabbit or maybe a dog. I'll check it out. I'm very doglike in my loyalties and sense of duty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting!!!! I am a boar in both tradtions which surprised me.

    I'm not certain if what they said is true but I like it!

    "People born in the year of the Boar are brave. They have tremendous inner strength which no one can overcome. They display great honesty. They are short-tempered, yet hate to quarrel or have arguments. They are affectionate and kind to their loved ones."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know there was a Japanese zodiac, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice and interesting post Kay! I must go and see what I am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea the two countries had different zodiacs.

    In China I'd be a dog. In Japan I'd be a boar.

    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely hate saying this -- I am a Boar. That tends to be a conversation stopper and people drift away in agreement ....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too am a snake, and I am determined to be a kind and loving one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. fun traditions, kind of like horoscopes they usually fit

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't funny how something that seems so random fits so well? I'm a fire horse and yes, it pegs me -- I still remember reading somewhere that fire horse girls were considered so undesirable in ancient China that they were often abandoned.

    You made me laugh, saying Art likes bananas!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a monkey...not that crazy about bananas...I forgot to look up my daughter....Ah...the sheep...passionate and elegant..that does describe her...

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.