Thursday, February 3, 2011

2011 Snow in the Midwest

Here are some of the photos that my daughter, Tiffany sent me from Illinois. They have apparently broken the 1979 snowfall record.

This was the view that greeted them in the morning from the kitchen window. I have never seen snow piled that high from that window before. Tif says there was a lot of snow drifting from the strong winds.


This was the view from their front door. It must have been tricky opening that door.


After opening the door, they saw how high the snow was.


And here's the deck that KC was trying to look out at from the kitchen window. That black thing is their Weber grill.

It was hard for KC to wait for them to finish shoveling so she could go for a sled ride.


Tif says she thought they were out there for an hour shoveling, but discovered to their surprise that they'd been shoveling for three hours.

Even though this snowfall has broken the 1979 record, I think we had a bigger problem in '79 because we already had about a 12" layer of snow on the ground. They had a clear ground to start with yesterday.


Our neighbor's teenage son took their snow blower out to the street. KC used the track he left to visit a favorite neighbor, Auntie Caroline.

Tif says this is the first time that KC could walk onto the middle of the street without worrying about cars.

I've just realized something wonderful. The city won't pile all the snow in front of their house like they did in 1979 (when we lived there) because the village moved a fire hydrant in front of the house a couple of years ago.

After Tif sent us these photos, Art asked if she'd taken photos of the completed shoveling job.

Being the kind, always sweet and wonderful daughter that she is, Tif dashed out of the house with KC as the sun was setting to get these shots for my post.


Tif says she knows they'll have no trouble whatsoever getting to sleep tonight. They are exhausted, but happy. Tif is feeling pretty good about the exercise she got. I really do think living in the Midwest makes you stronger and hardier. However, I'm still rather liking living here in Hawaii (wearing my shorts and t-shirt while I write this post) and just looking at the awesome photos she's been sending me.

Then again, I miss the euphoria that spring brings. I must remind Tif that she's got that to look forward to... in about three months.

Oh YIKES! I forgot to wish everybody Gung hay fat choy or Shin en kwai luh! (Happy Chinese New Year!)

25 comments:

  1. Now that really IS snow; it makes our 8 inches look very small. I do hope they're well prepared for dealing with snow for several weeks. But it will make the spring even better and more welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just incredible photos! So deep! I can't even imagine being snowed in like that.
    A great job the kids did in making a way through it.
    What an adventure for KC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they certainly got more snow than we did here in Ottawa,Ontario
    Although we did get quite a dumping from the same storm.

    I would choose Hawaii as well (at least at this time of year...)

    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning,
    I was on Sylvia K's site and saw your title of the posting and being the nosey one I am I had to come and check it out. I was born in Ohio and remember the Blizzard in 79...I was a senior in HS and there was no movement for a month!
    I love the photos and thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures make me so glad I live in NC!! I bet you are glad you are in Hawaii Kay!! I keep forgetting to tell you I love your header picture. I am part Dutch and would love to go there some day!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brr I get cold chills looking at those pictures! I have a friend who lives in Chicago, her son's daycare closed for the first time in 20 years yesterday because of the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Maine! I love the beautiful, fresh landscape after a new snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. now I remember why I dislike snow...and shoveling. love living in the high mountain desert...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been dealing with this stuff too. Again, I say, I HATE SNOW. I think it is pretty but wow, it is not fun. Our poor little Clayton is have trouble trying to find his way out. It is quite awful. Of course I worry about Daddy but he's safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope they didn't have blisters on their hands from shoveling all that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is indeed a lot of snow. I'd probably find me a nice warm place to burrow in and say tell me when it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that your daughter gets to live in the house where she grew up. Even if it is in the middle of a snowfield!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible, Kay. We have snow, but nothing like that. It's a good thing the kids are young enough to enjoy the exercise, I know I sure wouldn't. We have a neighbor who comes over every now and then with his snow blower, but I've only seen him once. He calls it "Anonymous Snow Removal" and he does it for other neighbors, too.
    Hi to Art and your mom.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. It certainly is pretty, and that is such a nice house. Are they going to do any cross country skiing? This brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hattie: I don't know if they're going cross country skiing. I know my son-in-law just returned from going downhill skiing somewhere. They don't have cross country skis. I do know there are neighbors that have gone around the village on cross country skis.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Talk about juxtaposition...the visual of you writing this post about the snow storm in the midwest while dressed in your shorts and t-shirt in Hawaii.

    Don't you just love what technology allows you to do? It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Lots and LOTS of snow. The amount of snow received in your daughter's area seems more believable/incredible when seen in her photos than when broadcast on TV by the weather-people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They really got hit badly, we only got a few inches because of the sleet... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a lot of snow. That fire hydrant you spoke of, the neighbors would have been glad to submit bids on it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow that's a lot of snow. Toronto was spared to about 15 cms although the city shut down with all the advance warnings we had of much worse!

    I'd say spring is just about 6 weeks away if that makes Tif feel any better! And that's according to the groundhog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't you miss it even a tiny little bit? I didn't think so! The photos from inside the house are amazing! KC has certainly gotten taller!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every time I open your blog and see that header, I inwardly gasp. It is so beautiful! And such a contrast to what's happening in the Chicago photos. That's a lot of snow, and a lot of shoveling! Now I hear that it is very cold. that snow might be around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a perfect reminder why I no longer live in the Midwest and now live in Southern California. I know I don't have 3 hours of snow shoveling left in me!

    LOVE your header photo! What a gorgeous contrast to the nasty winter blizzards.

    Happy New Year, jj

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Makes our British snow look rather puny.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.