Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day #1 and #2 Hawaii to Yellowstone

My pilot cousin, Arnold flew back from Pago Pago and drove his mother and us to Honolulu International Airport at 7:30 PM. Our flight left at 10:00 PM. All our plans to bring my mother's wheelchair went out the window when we saw how much luggage we had and how much space the rental minivan would allot us.

Mom wore the puffy ski jacket we bought her last year onto the airplane because it took up too much room in the luggage. It was hot on the way to the airport, but she was the only comfortable person on the United flight because they had that cabin way, way too cold!!! She still said her nose was cold.

Our daughter, Tiffany and granddaughter, KC flew in from Chicago to join us at the connecting layover in Denver, Colorado.


We landed in Billings, Montana, picked up and packed our rental Kia minivan and drove to Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park.

When we got to the Mammoth Hotel, Tiffany and Art went in to register us while I waited in the car with my mom, aunt and KC.

Suddenly the side door slid open and a young man with a jacket and ski hat stuck his head in saying some pleasantry like, "How are you all enjoying your trip so far?"

I was so shocked that I stared at this rather forward person and said in my teacher voice, "May I help you?"

My mother and aunt were taken aback too. We thought he might have been some staff personnel telling us to move the van.

The handsome, though slightly disheveled man looked startled, shocked and perhaps disbelieving.

"Mom!" my exasperated son said.

"Oh my gosh, Jon? Jon!?!??" Everybody was now yelling at the same time. My mother was now realizing who it was and we could hardly believe it! Jon had driven 16 hours all the way from Albuquerque, NM to surprise us at Yellowstone. He'd camped in the FREEZING park, checked out places that would be convenient for his grandmother and grand-aunt to see and then waited over an hour for us to arrive.

He then left us to surprise his sister and father.

Don't they write stories about mothers who recognize the children they lost when they were younger and could recognize them after decades apart? Elephants know where their babies are all the time, right? Aren't penguins able to recognize their young out of millions of other babies on the frozen tundra?

Sigh...

And Tiffany? She tells me she recognized her brother instantly.

Sigh...

30 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! And what a thoughtful, fun-loving thing for Jon to do. Have a terrific time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's funny! It just goes to show when you aren't expecting something, you see what you want to see! Have a great trip, Kay! I'm glad we get to come along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny, you'll never live that one down. How sweet. Someone you certainly weren't expecting...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true Kay, you'll never live that one down!!! (lol)
    However....what a wonderful exciting family time you are having!!! and what a wonderful (and handsome)son! (I wish I still had an unmarried daughter...we could have done some matchmaking ;-)

    Hope you can continue posting often, so we can come along on the trip with you

    blessings and safe journey
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  5. The light is different in the 48 states vs Hawaii. You just have to get adjusted, then you'd recognize your own son! 8-)

    I had wondered about that wheelchair. Not surprised it got left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If some guy suddenly opened a car I was in, I'd think it was impending robbery or murder.
    Lucky you it was Jon. What a good boy to come see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely, so funny about Jon surprising you like that and you not recognizing him at first. What a good guy and having Tiffany and KC there too. You certainly are going to have a fantastic family vacation. I remember Gregg popping of the car in a downpour with me in the passenger seat, and then a strange man quickly jumping in a few minutes later. He scared me silly. He was an okay guy but he had run from the store and jumped into our car because it was the exact color and make as his parked two or three cars away. I don't know who was more startled, him or me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how funny!! And, no, you'll never live that one down!! I love it! I'm so glad Jon could join you! What a wonderful surprise! You have wonderful children, Kay! Enjoy your trip!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just imagine you addressing him in your "teacher voice"! Here's John, traveling all that way to help you, and you say, "May I help you?" like a schoolteacher. LOL I'll be laughing about this all day. It's a good thing you don't have any baby penguins.
    How wonderful, though, for him to show up like that. The start of a fabulous (though perhaps chilly) family holiday. Three cheers for your mother staying warm in the plane. Did they at least hand out blankets or offer to turn down the airconditioning?
    Have a super time. I'll be thinking of you.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great surprise!! But of course you were startled by the van door opening - wow, I was startled just by reading about it. :o
    That must have temporarily frozen your instinctive Mama Bear recognition genes. Kay, you have such an engaging writing style. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.... Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. (laughing here) I'm guessing that y'all were disoriented and tired from your long flight and that's the only plausible explanation. What a lovely welcome surprise Jon gave you!!!! I'm so looking forward to your travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! Enjoy your trip, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kay --
    You should be able to rent a wheelchair in town from medical supply, or reserve one for a fee and driver's license at some of the sites. Yes, grown boys can surprise us...they change alot from day to day; week to week, with choices for facial hair and caps -- make sure your life insurance is good if he keeps spooking all of you! What a goofy surprise! Have fun! DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great story. Filled with the good things in life.

    Patty, reminded me the day she was shopping and saw this woman across the store and thought to herself, 'I wonder who that woman is? I have seen her before?'

    Later they passed cart by cart and she saw her again, and surprised, they both said, "Becky!"

    "Mom!"

    It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is too funny. At least you recognized him as being handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun surprise....and nice for Art to have another male in the group.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a heart-warming story. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great story! I love Jon. He is quite the guy. I think you are all going to have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Kay what a beyond wonderful surprise! This is going to be such a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It cheers me up so much to think of the wonderful time you must be having. You have wonderful children!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can always blame jet lag for not being able to recognize him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am rotfl! Poor Jon, his own mother didn't recognize him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful stories like this make me cry :):)So happy that you all are together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, that was funny. So glad Jon was able to join you. he's such a sweet kid. Nice to know you are all together! :) Such a lovely sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's the funniest thing I've read in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So funny! Poor Jon. I didn't recognise my son's voice on the phone last week and was doing the 'teacher voice' when he said, 'This is your son.' I did feel silly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1. Packing for a trip such as this would be absolutely daunting to me!

    2. What a wonderful surprise for you all!!! And how sweet for Jon to have driven all that way to see you.
    (I sat staring at the wrong baby in the nursery after I had my son!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I love this! What a superb surprise! Had to chuckle that you didn't recognize him, but I so understand that! You weren't expecting him there so of course you wouldn't think it was him. How great that he drove all those hours for you to all be together. Family love is a beautiful thing. You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a cute story about not recognizing Jon. And what a joyous surprise!!! Thank you for this post, taking yet more notes for when we make this trip :)))

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.