Thursday, September 13, 2012

Still Worrying...

My son, Jon is beginning his post graduate work at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.  Couldn't he have chosen a university closer to Hawaii instead of almost as farthest away as you could get?  I thought New Mexico was far enough.  Now he and our daughter, Tiffany are both over 10 hours (flight time) away from us.

Jon has been the source of more gray hairs on my head than anything else I could think of.  From being born in the elevator, to breaking his right arm, then his left, to crashing his bike, to Peace Corps volunteering in Mali and catching malaria, to fire fighting at Los Alamos, to now going back to school for graduate work.

You'd think I'd be used to life with Jon by now.  Besides, I'd already seen that I didn't have to worry quite so much about my granddaughter, KC as she entered kindergarten.

Still... after not hearing from Jon that first week of school, I wondered.  Was the school a bit too overwhelming?  Did he like his professors?  Were they nice to him?  Was the area where he rented an apartment safe?  Was he getting enough to eat?  Was he making sure he got enough rest?  Did he make any new friends?  Was he able to find his classes OK?  Was he taking too much of a load?

Then came the call from Tiffany. "I just had a nice chat with Jon, Mom," she reassured me.  "He's doing fine.  He's met his advisor and he's joined a soccer team already.  I thought I'd call you right away since I figured you were worrying."

What?  Me worry?

Then again, what's he joining a soccer team for?  Won't that take time away from his studies?  What if someone kicks him by mistake (like in grade school) and breaks a leg or something?

Sigh....

Maybe I should dye my hair.

Coqui frog Update:  We went out to listen for the mating calls last night and heard nothing.  Yae for now!

33 comments:

  1. He he that made me laugh. I think all your readers will be nodding their heads with your worries. We mothers are all the same no matter how old our kids get. I think Jon and Jordan sound exactly the same. A worry, lol. At least Kay they really live their lives and are not people who take the easy road. Jon's sense of adventure must have started in that elevator. What a life story he has already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your Jordan is certainly an accomplished, beautiful and independent woman, just like her mom, Lilly!

      Delete
  2. What's that last photo? What is Jon studying now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's gone from political science/biology to now Epidemiology. He was doing research on West Nile disease in that photo. I was worried he'd get bitten by one of those mosquitoes. Sigh...

      Delete
    2. Jonathan may yet save the world. And I write that with all seriousness and admiration, and hope!

      Delete
  3. Well, Tiffany is certainly the most thoughtful daughter! I understand your worries, it comes with being a mother doesn't it? It seems if you raise them right, you've given them wings to go out and conquer their world...at least that's what I read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a typical male of the species, Kay. Made to worry moms and turn our hair grey. Figures that you would hear he's all right from your daughter, who is very thoughtful to let you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that soccer is a lot of running around back and forth, back and forth. Balances out the studying for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. he sounds like a wonderfully accomplished young man,
    Do you suppose there is something about the name Jon, my son is named John and he caused me no end of worry as well, ha ha, don't dye your hair, I think its so pretty,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... thank you, Laurie. I can't dye my hair because I'm too lazy to keep it dyed. I can barely keep it cut.

      Delete
  7. I bet Jon MEANT to call you, but got hung up on the time zone differences :-)

    I've always assumed that no news is good news. Over the years that's saved me a lot of worrying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did call us over the weekend and we all had a lovely Skype chat. He had just been awfully busy. I knew that was probably the case, but I still worried.

      Delete
  8. I tried dying my hair, but it still came in all grey. They do what they want to after they turn 18. I am watching my daughter going through this now with her girls ages 18-24. My daughter worried me silly, but she turned out to be a great Mom and citizen. Worry and Guilt, two useless emotions. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. For what it is worth, my daughter who was also born in an elevator has been the one who caused me the most worry in her younger years. You have a son to be proud of, but I'm sure that won't keep you from worrying, even with Tiffany letting you know all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh GOSH! I forgot! That's right! You have an elevator baby too! I guess worrying is part of parenting.

      Delete
  10. And if he is considering entering the foreign service in Africa after he graduates, even more to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  11. once a mother always a mother...time to get a life...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the part they never tell us before we become parents. The worrying. I am quite accomplished at it. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, Kay -- That's so cool for Jon! Turn the worries into pride. What a grand accomplishment to be at a good grad school. Just email him stuff on his personal email, and he'll eventually respond. I'm sure Sarah is keeping him balanced too.
    My veterinary med student son sends me his course schedule, so I know not to call him at the wrong times if something is urgent. With 19-21 credit hours in grad school, it's good they have some sport activity. (The student health center and student health insurance is for injuries and colds.) They have to do something to keep the blood moving into the brain. My son plays frisbee on a student team. Grad students with a goal don't have time to watch the news or do much but study.
    Sending a monthly box of goodies from home is quietly appreciated, and keeps we Moms out of trouble. Now, I'm worried about Jon in the cold winter! Maybe he can head to Illinois between semesters.
    All he needs is coffee and cookies to get through grad school! You should be a very proud Mom with your two dandy kids. DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be hard for Sarah to watch over him since she's now at Georgetown University doing graduate work in Foreign Studies. They have to take trips back and forth between D.C. and Baltimore with Mungo (our granddog) doing weekend visits with the other "parent". When they both graduate, they'll be living abroad.......arrrrgggghhhhhh... even farther away and you know it won't be in some comfortable, safe, developed country. When we heard last night about Ambassador Chris Stevens' death last night, I sprouted at least a dozen more gray hairs.

      But cookies is something I can focus more easily on. I WILL remember that because both Jon and Sarah like cookies.

      Delete
  14. He's probably toying with your emotions again lol...seems he likes to rib you which is so endearing. I wish my kids would do that.

    L. from W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh... So you've noticed that he does that, hunh? He did call and text over the weekend after his first week and said things were going well, but he was in the back of my mind throughout the week along with KC. Funny that they started classes on the same day.

      Delete
  15. My mother once said about my father one of the nicest things I've ever heard: "Henry (my Dad) ALWAYS LANDS ON HIS FEET." Well, Jon is that kind of guy. So, no need for you to worry.

    On the other hand,there is a case to be made for worrying. I am a notorious worry wart. However, in my estimation, this means I pay close attention to things and therefore they turn out all right when I plan them. I guess the thing is you can't plan Jon's life anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told Kay G down below, Jon is also a mountain climber which gave me all the gray hairs on the front of my head. I don't know about the landing on the feet. He did get that malaria and it was pretty (very) bad. That second broken arm was massive and required further surgery and two years to repair. Then there were those laceration on his arm, the split chin, etc....

      But you're right, I haven't been able to plan his life for 15+ years now. Sigh...

      Delete
  16. Jon could work for the CDC in Atlanta, and then you could visit him and we could all climb Stone Mountain together!
    I asked my Dad who is 85 when do you stop worrying about your kids and he said, "Never".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon and Sarah happen to be mountain climbers. They'd be racing us up the mountain. Actually, I'll wait down at the bottom with some ice tea, please.

      Delete
  17. Seriously- thank you for reminding me that there are good reasons why NOT having kids is a different blessing in it's own way. It is easy to forget the care that parents put into their children. An excellent post about a common issue, Kay


    Aloha from Honolulu side
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, but Cloudia, you are wrong this time....you have kitty kiddies instead! (And spirit dogs from the past, eh?) DrumMajor

      Delete
  18. Isn't that our job to worry? I understand what you are saying. I do the same thing. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to constantly remind myself that "Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." Try just worrying about the frogs and it might help.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kay, I have Jake, so I know, I know, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always hated when Mom and Dad worried about me..but now I worry about my daughter..so strange is not it??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't parenting grand?
    We've had my daughter and granddaughters for the weekend. I need a nap!
    It is wonderful when they are grown and on their own!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.