After a 6:00 buffet breakfast at Raffles we went out onto our balcony and could see the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia in the distance.
I could still remember how awed we were by those mosques in 2005.
Turkish musicians greeted us at the port.
The Hop On Hop Off Big Bus at $40 a person was more reasonable than the $99 a person excursion we'd signed up for earlier. This way we could go at our own pace.
Ear buds were provided so we could listen to information in English about what we were seeing.
There was also free wifi on board the bus. Yae!
Here is the Bosphorus Bridge that connects Europe and Asia.
Turkey is the only country located in both Europe and Asia.
People in Turkey are considered Eurasian.
Istanbul (which used to be Constantinople) has 16 million people and is the largest city in Turkey. There are 75 million people living in Turkey.
I do love to take photos of crows in different countries.
I took this photo from the bus of these workers doing landscaping on a hill.
We also passed the New Mosque.
The Yeni Cami, meaning New Mosque; originally named the Valide Sultan Mosque and later New Valide Sultan Mosque after its partial reconstruction and completion between 1660 and 1665; is an Ottoman imperial mosque located in the Eminonu quarter of Istanbul. It is situated on the Golden Horn, at the southern end of the Galata Bridge, and is one of the famous architectural landmarks of Istanbul.
--Wikipedia
Feeding the pigeons here is supposed to bring good luck.
We hopped off our Big Bus and headed for the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.
The Blue Mosque is in the background.
What are the odds of this happening??? We ran into Arnold and Nancy at the Hagia Sophia and he took our photo for us before running to catch up with their tour group.
We decided to go to the Hagia Sophia first.
I still remembered what an awesome place that was and looked forward to seeing it again.
The sheer size of the mosque took your breath away.
Hagia Sophia (from the Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία, "Holy Wisdom"; Latin: Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia; Turkish: Ayasofya) is a former Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica, later an imperial mosque, and now a museum (Ayasofya Müzesi) in Istanbul. From the date of its construction in 537 until 1453, it served as an Eastern Orthodox cathedral and seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931. It was then secularized and opened as a museum on 1 February 1935. --Wikipedia
On the left is the Pillar of St. Gregory the Miracle Worker. Devotees used to believe that the sick could be healed by touching it. Now people think that sticking your thumb in and twirling your hand would grant you a wish.
The photo on the right shows Art climbing to the second floor of the mosque.
The view from the second floor was amazing too.
This is a mosaic of the Virgin Mary with Emperor John II Comnenus and Empress Irene.
We left the Hagia Sophia to walk to the Hippodrome since the Blue Mosque was closed for prayers.
This is the Obelisk of Thutmose III.
After specifically bringing a scarf all the way from Hawaii to wear at the mosque, I forgot it on the ship. I forgot Flat Stanley too. I was really grateful that scarves were provided at the Blue Mosque.
It was lovely to be inside the Blue Mosque again and see all the beautiful blue tiles on the walls.
We boarded the Hop On Hop Off Big Bus and returned to the ship.
It was a more relaxing day of sightseeing without having to worry about keeping up with everybody.
I later noticed Hop On Hop Off buses in other cities too. It's something to remember for any other trips we take.
I could still remember how awed we were by those mosques in 2005.
Turkish musicians greeted us at the port.
The Hop On Hop Off Big Bus at $40 a person was more reasonable than the $99 a person excursion we'd signed up for earlier. This way we could go at our own pace.
Ear buds were provided so we could listen to information in English about what we were seeing.
There was also free wifi on board the bus. Yae!
Here is the Bosphorus Bridge that connects Europe and Asia.
Turkey is the only country located in both Europe and Asia.
People in Turkey are considered Eurasian.
Istanbul (which used to be Constantinople) has 16 million people and is the largest city in Turkey. There are 75 million people living in Turkey.
I do love to take photos of crows in different countries.
I took this photo from the bus of these workers doing landscaping on a hill.
We also passed the New Mosque.
The Yeni Cami, meaning New Mosque; originally named the Valide Sultan Mosque and later New Valide Sultan Mosque after its partial reconstruction and completion between 1660 and 1665; is an Ottoman imperial mosque located in the Eminonu quarter of Istanbul. It is situated on the Golden Horn, at the southern end of the Galata Bridge, and is one of the famous architectural landmarks of Istanbul.
--Wikipedia
Feeding the pigeons here is supposed to bring good luck.
We hopped off our Big Bus and headed for the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.
The Blue Mosque is in the background.
What are the odds of this happening??? We ran into Arnold and Nancy at the Hagia Sophia and he took our photo for us before running to catch up with their tour group.
We decided to go to the Hagia Sophia first.
I still remembered what an awesome place that was and looked forward to seeing it again.
The sheer size of the mosque took your breath away.
Hagia Sophia (from the Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία, "Holy Wisdom"; Latin: Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia; Turkish: Ayasofya) is a former Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica, later an imperial mosque, and now a museum (Ayasofya Müzesi) in Istanbul. From the date of its construction in 537 until 1453, it served as an Eastern Orthodox cathedral and seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931. It was then secularized and opened as a museum on 1 February 1935. --Wikipedia
On the left is the Pillar of St. Gregory the Miracle Worker. Devotees used to believe that the sick could be healed by touching it. Now people think that sticking your thumb in and twirling your hand would grant you a wish.
The photo on the right shows Art climbing to the second floor of the mosque.
The view from the second floor was amazing too.
This is a mosaic of the Virgin Mary with Emperor John II Comnenus and Empress Irene.
We left the Hagia Sophia to walk to the Hippodrome since the Blue Mosque was closed for prayers.
This is the Obelisk of Thutmose III.
After specifically bringing a scarf all the way from Hawaii to wear at the mosque, I forgot it on the ship. I forgot Flat Stanley too. I was really grateful that scarves were provided at the Blue Mosque.
It was lovely to be inside the Blue Mosque again and see all the beautiful blue tiles on the walls.
We boarded the Hop On Hop Off Big Bus and returned to the ship.
It was a more relaxing day of sightseeing without having to worry about keeping up with everybody.
I later noticed Hop On Hop Off buses in other cities too. It's something to remember for any other trips we take.












Those mosques are beautiful indeed. If I ever get to Istanbul, I will visit these two places for sure. :-)
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of Hop On/Hop Off so that one can travel on one's own. I cannot imagine how you manage to do group tours like you and Art do.
ReplyDeleteKay, you look so cute in the scarf. :) I know you saw marvels of the world but that landscaping photo is most captivating.
ReplyDeleteI am really upset that we canceled our Turkey trip, but it was with a religous group and probably not what we wanted. Do you dare post what this turkey part cost? Great photos and you now have some great memories.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what the Turkey stop cost if you're including the ship. I know our NCL excursion would have been $99 a person. The Hop On Hop Off Bus cost $40 a person because we purchased the tickets onboard the ship. I think if you bought it on land it would have been $30. I always encourage people to visit Turkey. It is an amazing country. We spent about 16 days there in 2005 and thought it was one of our best trips.
DeleteLove the idea of the hop on hop off bus. I've been to Istanbul (2007) and loved it. We did this fabulous cruise down the Bosphorus.
ReplyDeleteI love visiting mosque but I didn't have to wear a scarf when I was in this church in Germany/...
ReplyDeleteKay, looks like you are having a great time. I'd agree that the bus was probably better than the excursion. I tire of listening to the spiel, and would just like to explore on my own.
ReplyDeleteThose are some good photos, Kay. And you look great (as does Art with his smile)
ReplyDeleteALOHA
ComfortSpiral
<3
i follow so many turkish blogs. it was very interesting to see istanbul through a vistiors eyes! you guys are the best travelers!
ReplyDeleteLove the idea of moving at your own pace. They really do seem to make it very easy for the tourists. The architecture is just breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteI have heard Turkey is a must see. Maybe your blog is as close as I will get.
ReplyDeleteIt's also one of the few Muslim-majority nations that officially separates religion from government. A wise choice
ReplyDeleteThis was really a fun trip, I enjoyed it so much. Thank you for taking me along, this is as close as I will ever get to Turkey. As usual, your photos are absolutely awesome!
ReplyDeleteThank you. I'll look out for them later in the month. :)
ReplyDeleteHop on hop off busses are a great idea. Hilo has them now, called Hoppa on Hoppa off! We've needed something like this.
ReplyDeleteDear Friend, Just stopping by to say HI. Hope you are having a good December so far. This will be a very different kind of Christmas for George and me this year. But—all in all, we are both enjoying being together and sharing our love with each other. What more can we ask for!!!!
ReplyDeleteOther than a post today, I won't be blogging much until I start feeling better and get this knee/leg taken care of... I will try to at least read your posts (even if I don't comment)... I will however be posting off and on on Facebook (since it's so simple) if you want to check there when possible.
I don't always comment --but I am SO enjoying hearing all about your trip... Amazing. You are such a good writer/photographer... Love your posts.
Hugs,
Betsy
Hi Betsy! I'm so sorry you've not been well. We've had some serious family crisis ourselves so this holiday season is not the same. I'm hoping to be able to visit again soon, but I think it'll be January before I can get back to almost normal routine again.
DeleteI doubt we will get back to that part of the world so it was good to see a bit of Istanbul.
ReplyDeleteThe hop-on bus tours can be a good way to get from place to place and see cities. We saw them everywhere. But we used public transportation and lots of walking to get where we wanted to go.
If you had not run into Arnold and Nancy, I'm betting you could have gotten someone to take your picture. My goddaughter and I were touring a museum in LA and ask two people to take our photo. We realized they did not speak English so we motioned our photo for theirs and both turned out great. LOL
ReplyDeleteMy oldest son's wife is from Turkey but I've never been there. Most interesting!
ReplyDeleteLots of beautiful buildings....not sure I'd want a snake and mouse in the bed; and my first thought about the spot where it's good luck to put your thumb in and twirl your hand......is that everyone else's hands have been there ready to share germs? Hope you stayed healthy. DrumMajor
ReplyDeleteI am enthralled with all the beauty you have seen while traveling and hey, I see the hooded crow :)
ReplyDelete