I recently recommended The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason to our friends. I'd read that book ages and ages ago and knew it was a mystery, knew I really liked it and passed it on to my brother who liked it too. But I couldn't remember the story.
So despite the fact that I don't read regular books anymore, I decided to read it again. (I did just get new reading glasses.)There are TONS and TONS of glowing reviews for this book and the words often used to describe it are intellectual, cerebral, brilliant, suspenseful but more often, it's erudite.
Here is a little synopsis from Publishers Weekly:
"...Caldwell and Thomason's intriguing intellectual suspense novel stars four brainy roommates at Princeton, two of whom have links to a mysterious 15th-century manuscript, the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili . This rare text (a real book) contains embedded codes revealing the location of a buried Roman treasure. Comparisons to The Da Vinci Code are inevitable, but Caldwell and Thomason's book is the more cerebral—and better written—of the two: think Dan Brown by way of Donna Tartt and Umberto Eco..."Hmmm... cerebral. Yes, it's definitely that. It's not a book you can skim. The sentences are so eruditely structured that you have to read some twice to get the full appreciation.
"...Ten years ago, Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason's The Rule of Four became a literary phenomenon that earned comparisons to Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose and Donna Tartt's The Secret History. Hailed as "ingenious...profoundly erudite" (The New York Times), "compulsively readable" (People), and "an exceptional piece of scholarship" (San Francisco Chronicle), it spent forty-nine weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, sold nearly two million copies in North America, and was translated into thirty-five languages around the world..."
"...At once a riveting literary thriller, a feast of biblical history and scholarship, and a moving family drama, The Fifth Gospel is a novel about the depths of sacrifice and the power of forgiveness. Rich, authentic, erudite, 🙄 and emotionally searing, it satisfies on every level..."

I seldom re read a book myself. But every once in awhile there is one I really like and I will re-read it.
ReplyDeleteI read to my children when they were small. I would finish one book and my son would immediately say read it again. My daughter would immediately hand me another book from a huge stack and say now this one. My husband was a prodigious reader who read his favorites again and again and seemed to remember everything he read. I have gotten halfway through a book before realizing I read it before. Just funny how reading habits can be so different.
ReplyDeleteGot to admit I can do without erudite prose. Though if you are stuck with such, a hard copy is best for flipping back and forth. That is the only drawback to a Kindle. Impressed that you are jumping right back into the fire with another of his books. Pretty soon you will be able to change your blog title to Erudite Musings:))
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSounds intriguing, and I might give it a try this summer, altho' I'm not sure I'm erudite enough to appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteYour deliberate, repetitive use of that word got me giggling. Well done.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good read
ReplyDeleteI like those kind of reads although I have to be able to concentrate to enjoy them. Right now with baby in the house, I'm too tired!
ReplyDeleteAlright Kay, this is WAY over my head. Had to look up the definition of erudite: "having or showing great knowledge or learning." Is it rude to be erudite?.... I guess not. At least you're still a very good teacher; inspiring folks to look up the definition!
ReplyDeleteIf I have to reread a line to figure out what was said, I wouldn't find that very relaxing to read. Reminds me of trying to understand stuff from old nursing textbooks.
I'll just read your book review instead. thanks for the lesson. Linda in Kansas
reading a book for pleasure is not on my list. though i read a lot...online! Guess I'm not erudite! lol...
ReplyDeleteI very rarely read a book a second time especially if it is a mystery. Glad you and your brother enjoyed it. If you read it a long time ago, I could see why you wouldn't remember the entire story. Glad you loved it both times!!
ReplyDeleteOK, I will have to try them.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great book!
ReplyDeleteSounds too "heavy" for me, but it makes me wonder and I will find it.
I'm not sure if this is a book recommendation or an exercise in sarcasm, but knowing you just enough, I doubt it is sarcasm, but indeed well done humor. And perhaps a book to put on my list. My erudition cells seem to be shrinking, however, so that might be troublesome.
ReplyDeleteI also looked up the meaning of erudite, to be sure I remembered correctly. Since I haven't read either book, I think I'll start with the first one! Thanks, Kay. I re-read books quite often myself. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for this Kay, it sounds very good.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I had to look up the definition of erudite, lol. Not sure if I can handle that kind of book.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteA new one to me.
ReplyDeleteErudite was one of my vocabulary words in the tenth grade. It's actually a word I use from time to time.
ReplyDelete