I know. I know. Sometimes (a lot of times), it takes a while for my brain to actually figure things out.
When we remodeled the kitchen some 15 years ago... (Gosh! Has it been that long?) we bought a microwave oven that was uuummm... rather large. And to compound the crowding of our counter, we bought a toaster oven that was also... rather large.
It called for an 8" x 8" baking dish. That's sort of small. I hated to heat up the oven for such a small baking dish.
And it's HOT right now in Hawaii. Why didn't I do this 3 months ago?
That's when I wondered if I could stick it in the toaster oven.
It's an oven, right?
I put the glass baking pan in to make sure it would fit.
It did.
And guess what? 💡 It IS an oven!Duh...
It baked perfectly!
Since I can't taste things very well, I had mom taste it.
I didn't tell her what kind of bread it was.
She said, "Chocolate?, Coffee?"
Hmmmmm...
My brother stopped by and I asked him to taste it.
He answered, "Pumpkin?"
They couldn't detect much ginger in it.
They did say it was tasty though.
My neighbor thought it was melon. 😆
Well, Tiffany sent me another mix.
I'll bet they won't have any trouble figuring this one out.
(And yes, I'm going to bake it in the toaster oven. 😁)




We resurrected our old toaster oven it is very handy except some parchment paper almost caught fire in it. So now we don't put parchment paper in it, it is a small oven.
ReplyDeleteThat toaster oven must be bigger than it appears if it can fit an 8x8 baking dish, it looks very nice... that's nice your daughter sends you things like these mixes too. I'm going to be thinking of truffle brownies all day!
ReplyDeleteYou have a good quality one. I've seen many that aren't very insulated and I think they probably put out more heat in the room than a conventional oven.
ReplyDeleteIn the Philippines where I spend a large amount of time, few people own conventional ovens but you do see some toaster ovens here and there.
P.S. When we did our kitchen remodel a couple years back, instead of replacing our double wall ovens, we got a wall oven with a microwave/convection oven combo unit above. We have yet to use the oven functionality yet but theoretically, it can be used as an oven and a microwave.
Wow! I didn’t know there was such a thing as a
Deletedual purpose microwave/oven. Your kitchen must be awesome!!!
always something new to learn although we don't have a toaster oven...
ReplyDeleteMy toaster oven is big enough that I can and do bake bread in it. I have to cover it in foil the last ten or fifteen minutes to keep the top from turning too dark, but it bakes bread as nicely as my regular oven does. I also make sure mine is big enough for a thirteen by nine baking pan so I can do casseroles and the like in it as well. My toaster oven is my most used appliance; in the summer it sits outside on my porch on a metal table as part of my makeshift summer kitchen. I enjoy being able to bake without heating up the house!
ReplyDeleteWow!!! That’s a huuuge toaster oven. How wonderful to have a summer kitchen.
DeleteI've my toaster oven and cook in it all.the time..eventually i.want to get a slightly larger one that holds an eleven by seven pan..now that it's just a make half a cake in a six inch circle pan that that fits perfectly
ReplyDeleteLast night I cooked four frozen biscuits and the night before brown sugar garlic porkchops
I miss my toaster oven! Got rid of it during last move. Not enough counter-space in my kitchen now. I miss it.
ReplyDeleteOften thought about one but never had the counter space for one. Interesting about the mix. One cake to fit everyone's taste. Don't tell them what it is. Just let them enjoy what they think it is.
ReplyDeleteWhoever designed our kitchen didn't cook. What we don't have is counter space. I keep one appliance out on the one long counter, and everything else lives downstairs. The microwave lives on top of the refrigerator, and we use that instead of a toaster oven. I envy you all that counter space.
ReplyDeleteBrownie truffle? That sounds incredible. My kids use a toaster oven and I had no clue how to deal with it, or that it could be used as a mini-oven. I've never had one! (I have a conventional toaster)
ReplyDeleteI use our toaster oven for making little pizzas and also for heating up those hard packaged mochi. Haven't really used it for much else. I wonder if it could bake a pumpkin pie?
ReplyDeleteYep, that "little" toaster oven looks like a commercial version that Art's family would've used in their restaurant. I have a small one, but I don't think it could do a little cake without burning somewhere first. So, it's not just you with the tasting problem: seems others are having trouble guessing the gingerbread flavor...nice way to keep the house cool too. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteMicrowave ovens weren’t invented yet at their mom and pop restaurant. Everything was done old style in those days.
DeleteMy house is being renovated right now, so I have a temporary kitchen. I have been using my toaster oven for many things I normally wouldn't have used. Good for you using yours! :)
ReplyDeleteYou always make the simple things fun, Kay
ReplyDeleteI think some of the mixes are very bland so you can't tell what it is.
ReplyDeleteMy condo kitchen is so small I can have a small microwave or a small toaster oven but one has to live in storage. I hardly ever use my microwave so that is usually sowed away.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a toaster oven. Is that strange?
ReplyDeleteNot at all. My son doesn’t have one either.
DeleteIf you keep baking, you may become the toast of the town.
ReplyDelete🤣
DeleteI don't have one. I do have a microwave.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to use smaller appliances in the heat. I've been BBQing, and that has helped. We're cooler today, though. Thankfully.
ReplyDelete