Monday, February 14, 2022

Just Dropping in Again: A Potpourri of Free Masks

One morning, I got an excited message from a good friend. She said she'd been to Longs Drug Store (CVS) and discovered they were giving away free N95 masks.

I really didn't need more N95s. A friend had told me about some very comfortable Honeywell (DF300 H910 Plus) N95s she'd gotten so I'd ordered them a while ago. When I texted my kids about how our infection, hospitalization and COVID deaths had suddenly gone up in Hawaii, my son (not knowing about the Honeywells I'd bought earlier) sent us a box of 3M N95 masks.

So yes, I suddenly had enough. When I tried the 3M N95s, I found they were very tight. I should have read the instructions first. You're supposed to stretch them before putting them on.

Did you see how easily Nathan Chen put them on before and after going on the Olympic ice?


However, I was curious to see what kind of N95s stores were giving out so we stopped by on the way home from grocery shopping.

Longs CVS was passing out the same N95s I already had.

Walmart had these fish shaped ones which were rather tight also, but yes, I should stretch them and see what it's like.


And then... a couple of days later a friend sent me a photo of another kind of mask that was given her.

Wow! This was a new one. I haven't seen anyone wearing a mask like this one.


Would you believe the following day Art's classmate sent him a photo of a mask that was given him at Sam's Club.

Wait a minute. I thought you weren't supposed to use a mask with a exhalation valve! I looked it up on the CDC website. Nope. They changed the rules on it. This is what I found:

Yes, an N95 filtering facepiece respirator will protect you and provide source control to protect others. A NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator with an exhalation valve offers the same protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. As source control, findings from NIOSH research suggest that, even without covering the valve, N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings. In general, people wearing NIOSH-approved N95s with an exhalation valve should not be asked to use one without an exhalation valve or to cover it with a face covering or mask. However, an N95 filtering facepiece respirator with a valve may not provide the same level of source control as an N95 without a valve. To make an N95 have similar source control to one without a valve, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to cover the valve.

Oh my gosh!

From not having enough masks they are all over the place just as states are easing their masking rules.

But do you think for one minute, I'm going to stop wearing masks when I go out? 


Nope... because here's another statistic that just came out.

Good grief! Why? I've heard one source saying it's because there are more older Japanese and Asians in Hawaii.

Sigh...

I'm wearing my mask.


35 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see you posting again. You, Art and your Mom have been missed.
    You certainly have enough masks and yes like you, I intend to keep wearing mine. My last cold was in 2019. Interesting about the exhalation valve. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still wearing my mask. Although I do think more and more people are feeling mask fatigue, still better to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay, good to hear from you and that your family is staying safe. I have a few N95 types, but they were purchased last year at a home improvement store. I have not seen any giveaways at the local grocery, but I have heard of towns where there were open boxes of masks for shoppers to just pick up.

    Numbers are still high locally, but have started dropping. I'm staying home except for essentials. I do get my daily walks around the neighborhood. Sunny today, so that should help with the chilly weather.

    Post some pictures when you can. Something warm! I'm looking forward to spring :)

    M in NC

    M in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please stay safe. I'm planning to be back posting in March. I just hope I'm done with my family photobook project by then. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
    2. We have all missed you terribly, Kay!!!

      Delete
    3. Awww... thank you, Margie. I am intermittently scheduling posts to go up in March when I think of something. Still busy with project. Sigh... but so much get in the way that takes my attention.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kay, it's good to see a new post on Musings again, I sure hope you. Art and your mom are all doing good. To be honest, I have yet to check the two drug stores in my neighborhood to see if they have free n95 masks. I know masks are still required to ride the bus or subway here in Pittsburgh, but it's been a while since I've seen anyone wearing a mask. That is a scary statistic regarding the Asian population in Hawaii, I'm glad to hear you guys are still being very careful. And thanks for the reminder about those free masks, this is obviously far from over. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird that most people are not wearing masks by you. I see everyone wearing masks everywhere we go (except the military commissary) here in Hawaii. Are infections are down, but the fatalities are high. I hope you're fully recovered. Art was asking about you after reading about long haulers.

      Delete
    2. That was very nice of Art, could you please thank him for me Kay? (I am still battling with the darn smell-taste thing, but its improving, I wish yours was too.) Anyway you're right, it is strange how rare I see a mask here in my neighborhood or even downtown. Just on the buses.

      Delete
  5. I have yet to wear an N95 mask this entire pandemic. At first this was to preserve them for those on the front lines. Now I have no excuse other than comfort. But I am not high risk and don't live with high risk people. I also naturally avoid enclosed and populated spaces. Combined with my cloth mask, I have yet to get Omicron or was asymptomatic and didn't know. I will probably continue to wear the cloth mask as long as the CDC recommends masks and my still wear them when in theaters which is the only high risk area I really go to with frequency, because I have enjoyed life with fewer colds and other viruses that were typical pre-pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stay home. It is easy for me because I am returning to a state of agoraphobia. I do own every kind of mask in case I have to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are receiving a plethora of masks. Not here. I did get 15 KN95 from the police chaplaincy to wear to school which I have been doing. Otherwise, I'm using my cloth masks from the large stash I've built up over the past two years. I even have one for Valentine's Day. I use a P2.5 filter with the cloth masks most of the time, depends on where I am going. I don't know of any stores giving away N95 masks here. Nor home COVID tests. Terry was able to buy 4 of the tests back in early January before there was a big run on them. We've used two. Then I ordered the 4 freebies from the government and received those last week. I'm hearing that Medicare recipients can get free tests at their pharmacy but I've not tried. I really hate using those tests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting, I asked the same question 'why' your thought makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am mostly using my cloth masks with filters, which makes them even more safe. But I've got quite a stash of different N95s and KN95s to choose from if I think I need more protection. Hubby double masks, but he's immunocompromised and needs to stay safe. Me, too, for him if not for me! Nice to see your smiling post today, Kay. Happy Valentine's Day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice review! I still wear your masks for my private duty patient hours, with a filter.
    IF it says NIOSH, it's good. In more dangerous environments, I've worn some K95s that were stamped NIOSH. I like the 3M brand with the formed cone the best because it's not smashing my nose tip. Sometimes my hardware store has them: 3M with NIOSH stamped on it. If you stretch the band, only at the middle, they become more comfortable. Don't stretch from the glued attachment point, or they detach sometimes. The non-3M ones really detach from the glue points sooner, even with stretching the middle of the bands. The true "hospital-like" N95s have head bands for a better, tighter fit to prevent airflow leaks, which allows covid cooties to get under your mask. The KN95 masks with ear loops aren't as effective.
    In a hospital, the N95s are designed to not permit ANY cooties. We are "fit tested" yearly to see if we wear a large, medium or small on our face. The testing consists of a clear plastic helmet placed over our heads while wearing the mask. If we can smell any of the perfume or citrus odors they spray into the helmet, it's not a good fit. They are meant to last one day, used when caring for only the same one patient. Using such masks more often outside the hospital, it only correctly lasts 2 days, maybe 3, before I can "smell" my private duty patient during his daily bowel routine.
    For the N95s, I really have to bend the upper edges down and inward to help fit under my glasses. Because of my ear devices, I can't wear the top strap over the crown of my head, so both straps are under my ears onto my neck.
    That Walgreen's one is pretty, but I don't see NIOSH stamped on it.
    Since everyone finally got vaxxed with my private duty patient, I love your cloth ones with 1 filter. I have a medical UV lightbulb to disinfect them too.
    I actually found some 3M N95s at my local Ace Hardware store too, stamped with NIOSH, so it's medical grade, not just the thinner ones for filtering out sawdust, etc.
    SO disappointing to see the numbers for Asian covid cases and deaths. Those folks have worn masks more consistently than anyone. Denmark is the place to be: 81% vax rate, now dropping all restrictions!
    Stay safe! We will get to herd immunity one way or another: vax rates increase; sick and dying people increase.....sad stubbornness still permits contagion.
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have to try the 3M cone masks again. My nephew is a Queens Hospital ER nurse and told me how he’s protected very well. In fact, he hasn’t caught COVID this entire time although his parents have which is amazing.

      Delete
  11. I would love more N95s; I have some medical grade ones but prefer the fit of the KN95(over the ears). They're not as good so I wear a blue mask underneath. I will definitely continue to mask, especially until we see where Omicron goes and if something is coming along to take its place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We purchased a supply of masks a while back when it was recommended by the CDC. Tom wears N95s and I wear KN95's because I don't want those straps around my head. Masks are still heavily used here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don’t have a good mask. I’m still inthe cloth ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the mask info. I, too, had a box of N95s I ordered and sent each of my children that was delivered Christmas Eve. Then I accepted a couple free ones the government provided my drugstore. I've been interested in reading how they can be reused and how many times.

    You can be sure I'll continue to use a mask and follow my usual prevention measures. I think it's premature to do otherwise. I wonder why other nationalities seem to have worse outcomes and sorry to read that. Do take good care of yourselves, mother and rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our kids in Vancouver all got COVID. They got through pretty well, though.
    Our numbers in hospital are going down. They've stopped testing so much, though. We're still masking.
    Good to 'see' you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be wearing masks for some time to come.

    Here we are presently dealing with an occupation by anti vax, anti mask, anti fact trucker protests who in turn are having their strings pulled by western separatists and white supremacists.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the reason that there are so many masks suddenly is because mandates ARE being lifted. I need to buy a package to travel with. I like the look of that one from Walgreens. Perhaps I can find some of them here.

    The truckers. Why are people idolizing/hero-fying them and that behavior? That is frightening. They are not fighting for 'our' freedom. They are a group of thugs behaving badly. When you have confederate flags and swastikas waving around, you are not the good guys. And yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swastikas? Yeah, right :/ Funny (not) how that one gets unpacked, whenever a group of good old boys (and girls) get together and say "enough!" of the hypochondriac hyperventilating.

      Wahoo, yayy truckers :) :) :)

      Meanwhile, (young) people have lost jobs, and HOMES because of this imposed flu-bug melodrama.

      Delete
    2. I keep wondering why you insist on returning to my blog, Sue. You sound like a very unhappy person and it must just add to your unhappiness to visit us.

      Delete
  18. I have always wondered how Covid-19 affected people by race. The Japanese rate is surprisingly high

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been wearing the surgical masks for the duration. Last week Walmart was giving out masks that look like the ones in the Walgreens photo. Very uncomfortable and not one word printed on them anywhere. Thinking they are knock offs.
    I will try stretching them to see if they are more comfortable. Thanks for that info. Keep masking and staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kay, your latest post is not available online. The one called Puzzled Apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I’m so sorry, Margie. I was moving a post and mistakenly posted that when it’s supposed to come out in March.

      Delete
  21. Our numbers in the UK continue to go down.
    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. So good that you got free masks..we have to buy ourselves. I use N94 when out and about even in the office. I am fascinated with the colours they have. Staff safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Agnes, Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment. I have too many masks now, but I find the Honeywells are quite comfortable. I'm so glad our numbers in Hawaii are going down... finally. I just hope they stay down once the masks come off.

      Delete
  23. Thank you for the note. Yes, I am home at last and too, have lots of masks. after coming down with covid, I too woudn't think of going out without a mask.

    ReplyDelete
  24. An interesting survey. Thank you, Kay

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.