Monday, May 29, 2023

Looking for Nessie at Loch Ness

We were docked at Invergordon, Scotland and had signed up for an excursion to Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle. We just didn't feel like we could come this far and not try looking for the Loch Ness Monster, a.k.a. Nessie.

Cal and Myra had gone on a free bus tour of Inverness, but Craig and Terry were game to try looking for Nessie too.


Our excursion was from 12:30 to 4:30. 

Uh oh... It started to rain... a lot. However, during the 1 hour drive to Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle the rain abated. 

Our guide, Sonya was funny and amazing. She has a beautiful voice and sang a lot of Gaelic songs for us. She also had an amazing store of knowledge about the area. 

Sonya said the Highlands are so named because there are 278 mountains in the area. A munro is a Scottish mountain with an elevation of more that 3,000 feet. 

The area we were docked in is called Invergordon. Inver means mouth, so it's mouth of the Gordon river.

Inverness means 'mouth of Ness.'

There are 130 distilleries in Scotland. She laughingly said men are like good whisky if they age well.

The Romans built the Hadrian Wall between England and Scotland.

Gaelic was the Highlands' native language until the 1800s. Then they became bilingual until Gaelic was forbidden. Now only 5% of the people speak Gaelic. 

Sonya laughingly said Scottish people don't have a good diet because they don't like to eat vegetables. This is why they always lose any sports match.

The Scots just like to cheer for any team that can beat England. However, they do well with golf since it doesn't require a lot of exertion and Scotland has 550 golf courses.

Loch means lake. 

Loch Ness has more water than all of England.

And by the way, said Sonya, "Braveheart was actually filmed in Ireland and starred an Australian actor with a dodgy Scottish accent."  😂

After seeing the Visitors Center we walked down to Urquhart Castle where many battles had been fought.

The trebuchet is a French word for a kind of catapult that was used to attack the castle.



I kept looking toward the loch to see if there might be something moving there. I was told someone had recorded a sighting few days earlier. 


Unfortunately, we never did catch a glimpse of Nessie.

Ah well...

18 comments:

  1. That looks like a most interesting tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nessie is an elusive beastie. There are also tales told of Lake Champlain and Lake Okanagan having resident beasties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lin Floyd says how fun even if it was rainy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lockness - one of the most fascinating, unforgettable places on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely day, in spite of the rain. Literally laughed aloud when reading what Sonya said about Braveheart!
    Stay safe & well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on the photo shop, or.......is that real????
    I really enjoyed this post. I like old stuff. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: Ha! Ha! I definitely photoshopped it. I planned to do it while we were looking out at the loch.

      Delete
  7. Nice ending for this post. Good history lesson of Scotland. It's just another example of people losing their language by force.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun excursion! I really enjoyed this. Thank you, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! The sites look familiar: Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle. I loved the history part of our tour although I wish I retained the information better. Did I blog while I was in Scotland? I don't really remember!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last picture is hilarious. You know, I've never thought of doing a cruise, but I really am impressed at everything that you're seeing. They do a good job of really giving you a chance to see so many landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kay, we loved Loch Ness... and took the boat tour over to the castle... and did look for Nessie in the water! Saw some disturbances in the Loch, but never knew what it was. They pushed serving whiskey on the boat - probably to get more sightings! (ha!) What I remember learning is that Loch Ness water is potable (drinkable)... and very deep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the most marvellous adventures! Hubby would love to visit England, but it just won't work for us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been there. It's a beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to visit ...
    Love your last photograph :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.