Friday, May 26, 2023

The Royal Britannia Yacht and Edinburgh Castle

Because of the rough ocean waves we sailed to the Port of Rosyth instead of Edinburgh. The Port of Rosyth is on the Firth of Forth. (Wow! That's confusing!) The Firth of Forth is the estuary, or firth, of several Scottish rivers including the River Forth. (Now I'm more confused.) 

I know we sailed under three bridges to get to the port.


The drive to Edinburgh took 45 minutes. Our guide was Fergus. He told us about Thomas Bouch, the architect/engineer of the Tay Rail Bridge that collapsed a year after being constructed killing 90 people. Bouch would die a year later from the stress of the catastrophe. 

Fergus said that's how we get the term 'botched job.' 

We arrived at the port of Edinburgh and went to see the Royal Yacht Britannia. This is the yacht that the royal family often sailed in.


It was interesting to see the rooms the royals slept in and the huge dining room where they often entertained important people. You could even see the jeep Queen Elizabeth liked to drive. They appeared not to live in excessively luxurious quarters.


The support staff  had a minimalist sleeping area BUT the laundry room was HUGE. 


It was fun seeing the yacht that the royals once sailed and relaxed in. Apparently, Charles and Diana also sailed on this yacht with the rest of the family.

Yes, we wore masks all the time. 

Lunch was at the Apex Hotel. We all had a chicken dish and apple crumble for dessert. It was OK.

We enjoyed Fergus' commentary as we drove through Edinburgh. 

He pointed out Edinburgh Castle up on the hilltop.

Fergus also explained how the old homes had all these chimneys because they didn't have modern central heating in the past.
Each room had to have a fireplace for warmth which then needed its own chimney.

Fergus told us the story of Half-Hangit Maggie

Apparently Maggie's baby had died and she was accused of killing it. She was sentenced to be hanged. Miraculously, she survived the hanging (probably scaring the fellow carrying her coffin) and they couldn't hang her again since she'd technically already been hanged. She was henceforth called Half-Hangit Maggie. 


We arrived at Edinburgh Castle and stood in line to see more crown jewels. 


We saw the royal crown and the Stone of Destiny which is called the Coronation Stone.

It was delivered to Westminster Abbey for King Charles III's coronation on May 6th.


We ventured into the Great Hall of Edinburgh Castle and saw many of the armor that was used by knights of the time.

As we left Edinburgh, we passed by the statue of George IV. He apparently wore a kilt and made it popular even though he was very overweight and did not look good in it. The statue apparently flatters him.


Dinner was wonderful followed by a musical presentation of Broadway musicals that we really enjoyed.

It was another happy day and tomorrow we'd be looking for Nessie.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. That is a ship. I cannot handle rough weather. My cousin is visiting our grandparent's former home over there. I don't remember much of them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin Floyd says thanks so interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay your photos are just beautiful. I'm a bit overwhelmed how well you documented this trip! I'd love to see that royal yacht in person...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would get seasick! I loved Scotland and would enjoy going back, then heading over to Ireland. I was supposed to go in 2020 but we know how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great tour from you. Such interesting tidbits, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would very much like to see Edinburgh someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did not get to Scotland on our travels so this is all new territory for me. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard about the royal Britannia for a long time . Is it still used or just a museum these days. Great photos of all the stuff you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand it's now retired from royal service.

      Delete
  9. So much to see and do and experience! I enjoyed hearing some of these tales, like the story of Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thelma, over at Northstoke passed along a wonderful story about the Stone of Destiny: Did you ever know it was kidnapped? https://northstoke.blogspot.com/2023/04/the-stone.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up with your recent posts ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.