Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Traffic Trouble to the Tower of London

After five days of non-stop travel and sightseeing I was tired. Luckily, we had the morning to unpack further and organize our room before our excursion to the Tower of London in the afternoon.

We couldn't fit the Tower into the time we were on our own so had decided to do the Viking excursion.

Unfortunately, the Half-Marathon was being run in London and the streets were jammed.

Our tour bus driver was absolutely amazing or maybe had always wanted to be in the Grand Prix. He negotiated the roads like magic and got us to the Tower.


I can hardly remember what the Tower was like when we were here in 1990. We were fascinated anew with the historical place where so many people were imprisoned and executed (or murdered).


Art climbed up the White Tower to see the displays there while I waited in line with the tour group. The Yeoman Warder opened his winter cape to show us how the EIIR would be changed once King Charles III had his coronation.


We weren't allowed to take photos of the Crown Jewels.

To be honest, there weren't a lot of jewels there and many of them had been removed to be cleaned for the coronation.



Here is a photo of the Tower of London from Wikipedia.

We got back to the ship after 6:00 but our travel buddies were still at the World Cafe having dinner so we were all able to share what our day was like.

I was just hoping for a good night's sleep which was rather elusive.

21 comments:

  1. I really think tours are the only way to see other ares of the world. Traffic and odd events can monkey wrench the whole day, but tour guides know their stuff. Sound like an excellet trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin Floyd says I was there in the 1980s and can hardly remember anything but we did see this sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have trouble sleeping when away. You photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never went inside the Tower of London or saw the jewels during any of my trips. It looks fascinating though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so much more than the Tower what I once pictured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you and Art were able to use the time well. I'm not surprised but laughed at the Grand Prix driver. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. European drivers, especially those in big cities, are incredible! Scary, but amazing. I enjoyed the Tower of London when I was there many years ago; I love castles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember being impressed with all the jewels and beautiful gifts in the tower when we were there in 1996. I know you must be worn out with all the running around... but such wonderful memories, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live the experience through your eyes and blog. Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your driver did well.

    Once again, lovely photographs from your tour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London is one of my best memories of our week in London, more that 20 years ago now.
    Hurray for that bus driver!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the many wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The place is certainly different than Hawaii, isn't it!?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that tower of London is underwhelming. So was it a prison?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it was once used as a fortress and then it became a place where prisoners were held. I thought it was just a prison, but I guess it had other uses.

      Delete
  15. I would love to see the Tower someday.

    Someone else I am unfortunately acquainted with, I'd rather they be an involuntary permanent resident of it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  16. The concrete lions look scary! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would be tired after seeing all this too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We spent HOURS in the tower of London. Really, so much to see. The idea of that poor elephant starving to death because no one realized that he was not a carnivore! And the idea of all those creatures loose while people just walked among them. And the place where the two little boys whispered eerily to each other sent prickles right up my spine. And the crown jewels, and the site of the executions. I mean really, an incredible amount of history packed into such a compact place!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.