Monday, July 15, 2024

Demolition of Mom's Bathroom and Installation of Vanity and Sink Cabinet

The crew did the demolition for mom's bathroom so I had to help mom take a bath in the guest bathroom. And that's when we had a problem. The plumber did show me where the spout, shower and wand was but I guess we really didn't understand it well enough and there was no diagram.


When I tried to give mom her shower, I discovered there were a lot more settings. And of course, they were unmarked. So I ended up making a diagram and taping it to the shower wall so I could remember where the diverter settings were. 

The water was also pretty tepid for the entire time I helped her with her shower. Art didn't quite understand it so he got some buckets and ran the water. After 3 buckets full on the hottest setting it was still only luke warm. 

And now the demolition.

I texted our contractor asking if I should warn the demolition crew to be careful because it is a single wall redwood construction. He said it was unnecessary because he already had. 

All the banging we heard was disconcerting and sure enough... there was another crack. This time it was on mom's bedroom wall.


They took out mom's bathtub, toilet and sink cabinet and installed the new cabinet.

POSTSCRIPT 1:

Although there was nothing that could be done about having too many diverter choices, plumber Josh was able to adjust the settings so we could get a hotter temperature in the guest shower.

Mom will never have to worry about this once her bathroom is done because we stipulated that she couldn't have this sort of control. I'll also keep the diagram for anybody who needs to use the guest shower in the future.

POSTSCRIPT 2:

The cabinet and sink were installed in mom's bathroom, buuuut.... I saw later that there was a gouge on the outer wall of the cabinet.

This was frustrating. The contractor said the entire cabinet and sink would have to be removed and a new one would have to be termite treated and installed.

My brother who once worked for a cabinet company and Art who worked with my cousin to install our kitchen cabinets 17 years ago knew that a simple veneer panel could be placed over it to cover the gouge.


I told the contractor and he procured the veneer immediately. 

Unfortunately, the veneer was not clamped on properly by the carpenter and was sticking out the side of the cabinet. (I took the photo on the right with my iPhone facing up from the floor.) You can see the glob of glue keeping the veneer from sticking properly to the cabinet. My brother explained that the veneer should have been clamped on after gluing to prevent this from happening.

Another customer who may not have worked at renovating their own home might have accepted this flaw. But it was impossible for Art to be happy about this.

Sooo... we'll see what they do.

15 comments:

  1. I am somewhat gobsmacked by this whole process. It is quite a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I could return to being 20 years old and not be able to figure out that shower handle. That's pretty complicated. Glad you came up with the diagram. Maybe laminate it and put it in the shower by the fancy handle? So, today's "craftsmen" don't know how to properly repair stuff. You are 100% right to want the cabinet perfect, but you're going to be teaching the younger alleged craftsmen how to do it correctly. Keep breathing! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine all the water I would have to waste standing in your guest shower trying to figure out the controls so I could take one! I can't believe with three handles so close together, there wasn't some sort of wording or etched in diagram to help out.

    Your contractor seems like they need to slow down a little bit and pay attention. Those mistakes were entirely preventable and now that he has messed up the veneer, it will take a lot more to fix the simple gouge mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, reading all of this, I've come to one conclusion. I am SO glad we are doing our own work. It is obvious that your contractor is working projects to his satisfaction. The fact that we are doing the work to our own satisfaction leaves out that annoying middle part where you need to debate with a third party on the standards to be met.

    This sounds HORRIBLE. And stressful. And annoying as heck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would drive me bonkers! I remember how on edge I was when my master bedroom and bathroom were being re-done. Then I decided to have my other two bathrooms partially re-done. How crazy was that? The shower looks complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, what seemed to start off well has become a headache due to lack of quality. I have used contractors in the past for jobs and it used to frustrate me at how long they were taking - but it was quality work, which I believe is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'd think trades people could be more skillful than is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess I'm spoiled, but my water needs to be hot and good water pressure. Glad you were able to fix that. I've been where those faucets were complicated. It takes a bit to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shower control to too complicated! Looks like Mom's bathroom will be as discouraging to complete as the guest bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is unfortunate that contractors and many other tradespeople no longer have an eye for detail. I have experienced this first hand and it is absolutely maddening. I feel your pain. Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay (Your Cousin) of Musings: I’ve lost 5 pounds from the stress of it and probably have developed ulcers. 🥴

      Delete
  11. Goodness me! As Marcia said, how are you still sane?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.