Wednesday, October 22, 2025

A Really Awesome and Really Awful Time

This past Saturday was such a momentous day. 


My Kauai cousins sent me a photo of their participation in the No King's Day protest. I consider it a celebration of our freedom to protest what we see as a danger to our democracy.

They sent me this fun photo. My cousin is on the right.

I texted back that I wish I could have been there with them.

But that same evening, we had a birthday party for mom to celebrate her 96th birthday. My cousin, Arnold made a special trip to our house bringing with him a huge platter of exquisite sushi that was almost gone by the end of the party. He had to leave early to avoid being with too many people before a trip he was taking.

The sweetest, most wonderful gift was the time he spent with mom talking and listening to her. Auntie Grace was Arnold's mom and the sister mom was closest to because they were closest in age. And Auntie Grace was such a vibrant person. Arnold knows quite a bit of Japanese so he could communicate with her easily. Since the party was late starting and mom eats normally at 5:00, we had to give her meal earlier while Arnold kept her company.

After Arnold left my nephew, Shawn sat next to mom. She was overjoyed that he could be at her birthday party since he has a busy schedule performing around the island.

It was a joyous night. You would not know that three little kids could run amok around the house and create such a loud cacophony of happy celebration and activity.

Unfortunately, at the end of the party when family were leaving, I began to feel that terrible omen that I could be having a vertigo attack. 

Art rushed upstairs to get me a meclizine pill.

But it didn't work.

A half hour later, nausea hit. I tried the Epley Maneuver but it seemed to make it worse. I couldn't walk. I couldn't move.

Art rushed downstairs and got mom's walker with the seat. 

He got a bowl to hold in front of me, helped me onto the walker seat and wheeled me to the bathroom. Everything, and I mean everything I ate in the day came out of me from both ends. It was a nightmare.

After a couple of hours when nothing else was left in me, Art wheeled me back to my office/bedroom and had me lie down on the twin bed I have there. He slept on the other twin bed to watch over me. I couldn't take a shower and slept in the clothes I wore all day.

He and my brother think the vertigo might have been triggered by all the noise, activity and stress of putting the party together and making sure everybody got what they wanted. And yet, they are family and they all pitched in to clean up and organize left overs. 

I don't know what caused it. I've written my doctor and listed all my episodes just so he has a record. I'd kept notes since 2021 of each attack hoping to figure out what was going on.

So it was truly a day of ups and downs. 

POSTSCRIPT:

Remember my doing Photoshop in my last blog post? I learned how to do it from my brother who is the Photoshop magician. One family member wasn't able to join us until after our group photo was taken. My brother therefore took a photo of that late comer when he arrived and magically added him to the group photo. I wonder if you can tell which person it was. 😄

28 comments:

  1. What you describe happening to you happens to me too and for me it is actually my body reacting to all the stress of plans, executing plans, and trying to make sure everything is perfect and spot on. It works my mind and body up so much that I have the same reaction. I hope you are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd that it should happen to you too of all people because with both of your blogs beginning with M, I sometimes start out, for just a bit, thinking that I am reading the other blog. /AC/
      (Missed my login. I have to login before I start typing. It’s a Blogger mystery why this is the case.)

      Delete
  2. Oh Kay. What a horrible end to a wonderful day! Hope you are better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful to see your mother's laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible end to a perfect day. I hope answers can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! What a horrible end to a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same a your brother on the attack -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. From one extreme to another! I assume you are doing much better today. What a wonderful set of photos of your Mom smiling and laughing with nephews. Hold on to these times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joyous celebration! And that photo is priceless. What a wonderful reminder of such a great day. I am guessing the fellow at the far right back was photoshopped. Everyone will be happy to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: And you’re right. 😊

      Delete
  9. How horrible to have the wonderful events of your mom's party overshadowed by your vertigo attack! It sounds horrendous. I hope they don't last long and that you're back to normalish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: It’s the 4th day and I’m afraid I’m still fighting it.

      Delete
  10. Oh, Kay, I was reading and enjoying your post... until I came across your vertigo attack. I'm so sorry. I do think stress triggers these things. Here I either get a migraine or an IBS flare-up.. and I used to wonder why my body can't take a little stress, but have given up worrying about it. It is what it is. I sure hope you'll be feeling back to normal soon. Great pics! And great to see your mom so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see my answer is already verified correct. To me, the tip off was the shadow not extending as far to the right as it should. But I commend your brother for making the left foot look good.

    Vertigo sounds like a real bummer. I hope I never have to deal with it and I hope you get over your bout soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was going to guess the person behind Shawn but I see someone else guess different - and correctly.
    Stress probably caused your vertigo. And then panic when you think, Oh no - I'm going to have an attack! Fear does horrible things to our psyche.
    I actually had mild vertigo last week and tried an alternative method (Avazzia microcurrent with tongue stimulator). It felt weird and then I got nauseous, with cold fever chills and a racing heart. Scary. For the next few days I had slight woozy feelings when I lifted my head and I would tense up, but it would subside the rest of the day. It is gone now - and I am wondering if I would try the alternative method again. One caveat of natural healing is that you get worse before you get better. And I did get worse. But I am better now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great party. What an awful ending! I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kay, we are so alike. In 2024, I had vertigo so badly that it was thought I could be having a stroke. Mine had to do with my inner ear. Please God, I never have it again. I hope you never have it again either. Please give your Mom happy wishes from me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great party for your mon. She looks so happy.
    I didn't realize you had such terrible vertigo attacks. I'm so sorry that happens to you.

    ReplyDelete

  16. so sorry to hear about your vertigo. I have had it once, and send sympathy in large quantities. Glad your mom had a good time, though. The Photoshop? Guessing the white haired person at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad your Mom had a good time! 96! Wow! I'd guessed the guy on the far right was added, maybe the gal sitting on the end. Bummer about the vertigo; almost sounds like the 24 hour flu. Please keep in touch with your doc; there's other meds to help with dizziness and nausea. Hugz, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: My doctor’s nurse called yesterday and said he wanted to see me. I’m still recovering. It’s not over yet after almost a week. It’s really frustrating.

      Delete
  18. So sorry to hear of your attack, but I guess now you are back to normal. I love that Mom had such a great time in spite of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sometimes the Epley has to be repeated several times, and depends on which side of the ear is affected, has to lean toward different sides, so sorry you were suffering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: I discovered I was doing the Epley incorrectly when I checked the instruction sheet I’d gotten 2 years ago. I’d forgotten the exact sequence.

      Delete
  20. So sorry to hear about your ongoing bout of vertigo. After being shown how to do an Epley by various practitioners, I finally saw a neurologist who diagnosed something else entirely (vertiginous migraine....). I've cycled through various medications and now have a reasonably good regimen of meds, keeping a regular schedule of eating/sleeping etc - can count on very minor vertigo spells a few times a months but nothing like it was before I got my personal system worked out. All this to say vertigo is a symptom of many things, the kind addressed by Epleys seems to be most common and the one medical folks want to diagnose, but sometimes that just isn't the answer. Your doc sounds proactive, and of course you husband is a gem.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ceci! I'll have to mention this to my doctor when I see him. I don't think I've seen a neurologist. I've been sent to an audiologist and PT during bouts I've had in previous years. I didn't even want to go to the ER because they can't do anything except to hydrate me intravenously that I don't think I need and then explain the Epley which I don't feel like it helps very much except to make me dizzy.

      Delete
  21. Poor you, having such a nasty heath turn, and just when the party was happening too. Your mum looks so sweet, I'm sure she loved having all her family around her.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.