Wednesday, December 24, 2025

A Special Holiday Gift of Long Ago

Many years ago, after we moved to Illinois, my grade, high school and forever friend, Mavis in Hawaii would send us amazing works of fabric and woven art each holiday season.

Mavis has always been incredibly talented in every way. She was one of the smartest, most thoughtful kids in high school and then a super talented designer of all manner of clothing, quilts, you name it, she created it. Some of the adorable items she created for my children and grandchildren are framed on my wall or passed down to our grandchildren. 

And when Art retired from the U.S.E.P.A. I asked her if she could use Art's many old ties for any of her projects. She said she could. So I happily sent them to her and promptly forgot about it. 

What a surprise when she sent this retirement quilt to us to commemorate Art's work at EPA!

It’s now proudly hanging in Art’s office here in Hawaii. 😁

Mavis knew about our cold Chicago weather and surprised me one year with this incredible fleece cardigan. I was astounded to think of the time it took her to crochet all those snowflake like doilies to add to the cardigan. 


I used to enjoy wearing Mavis' cardigan to my Illinois classroom because my 1st grade students had fun seeing it. I imagine they were trying to count how many snowflakes were attached to me, or maybe the colorful buttons.

I  didn't bring much cold weather clothing with me when we moved back to Hawaii, but I had to bring this. 

Anyway, I've always hated going into that super cold refrigerated room at Sam's Club here in Hawaii to pick up our salad, blueberries, grapes, milk or whatever.  

One morning, I wondered if  it would be a good idea to wear Mavis' fleece cardigan into that freeeezing ❅ room. 

And yes, it was perfect. I was probably the only warm person in that room and could take my time finding which salad had the longest expiration date. 

When all my friends and I got to a certain age, we have taken pity on each other and are not sending gifts anymore. However, whenever I look at Mavis' creations, I have to smile. And that's the best gift of all. The memories.

16 comments:

  1. I often wish I were crafty/artistic like that. I need a bit of inspiration/guidance to help me build things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gifts are wonderful, but as a sometime seamstress myself, I am amazed at the skill in that tie quilt. Your friend Mavis has a great gift as well as being a gift herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mavis is a special friend. Gifts can be a burden as you feel you must return a special gift. A kind word is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your man had many ties. I only had, and probably still have only a few, probably because I was able to stop wearing them to teach around the mid-80s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful gifts from a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and unique quilt! That cardigan is perfect for the cold area; I've never been in Sam's Club and didn't realize they had a walk-in refrigerated section.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a talent - and you love what she makes (so do I). That love is the best gift of all that you give back to her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad I gave away all my ties. I could have something attractive as Art has. That is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The retirement quilt is fabulous.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate those cold rooms too at Sam's. I must remember to bring a warm jacket just to check out produce and dairy items. Warm today though in K.C. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful! Merry Christmas! (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My home and walls are filled with things made by family and friends... (or pictures of same)... no room for other decor. That quilt and sweater made by your friend is price less, Kay... and full of memories. I have the quilt my long time friend made on our bed as well as her fisherman's afghan... and many cross-stitched pieces from family/friends on our walls. Wearing Mavis' sweater for your cold room was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes...the memories are the best part. Merry Christmas to you and Art and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely beautiful........

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.