I've gotten tons of spam comments on my blog through the years and thought that if I just marked them as Spam and kept them in the Spam Comments File, it would teach the computer to never let them get published.
It didn't appear to work.
One day I was looking through years of Spam that I've gotten and saw that there were a whole bunch of comments that were one or two word comments. I didn't know back then to click the comments that I knew were safe and to publish them.
I discovered later that you can click on
Comments which would give you the options to go to the Published or Spam file.
If something Published is a person you know is Spam you can indicate that and the comment would be moved to your Spam file.
This was from Dylan Brandon in my Spam File. If I knew for certain it was not Spam, I could click on those three dots that would then show me that trash can or that check mark which I could click to move him to the Published file.
So then I'm wondering if I should keep all my Spams to help the computer or Blogspot AI remember who the Spams where.
So I looked it up and this is what AI said:
So OK. I'll mark any Spam I find in my Published file first, and then go to the Spam file later and kill it there too. I'll give it a little time to make sure the AI brain is remembering this in order to make sure I don't see it again.
POSTSCRIPT:
It's been a couple of months now and so far, so good. I haven't gotten any more Spam. I just got that one Spam from Dylan which I kept just so I could show it for this post.
Fingers crossed 🤞 this continues to work.
I’ve neglected to check mine recently. I find very little true spam but do find that proper comments are sometimes put into the folder, so I ‘unspam’ them in that case.
ReplyDeleteI 'spam' those comments and delete them right away. Glad you found this out.
ReplyDeleteThat is what I do as well.
DeleteI don't put a lot of faith in Google learning from the comments I label as spam. Afterall, for probably a year, it marked any short comment I made on my own blog as spam and I would have to go in and republish them. Another case in point is another spammer that has a raven head as an avatar that has been leaving spam comments on my blog for at least two or three years and I've diligently marked them as spam every time. Yet they continue to comment (begging me to check out their blog along with some random comment) at least a handful of posts every month.
ReplyDeleteI try and check mine regularly. Blogger's a funny beast, though, and comments already published suddenly reappear.
ReplyDeleteI check the spam folder periodically because several regular commenters end up there for no reason.
ReplyDeleteThanks
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings:😂
ReplyDeleteYou are still a teacher!!!
ReplyDeleteBtw, I have been getting dizzy spells when I wake up in the morning. Not full on vertigo, but dizzy enough to be a potential problem. I remember the very first time I had vertigo and it was quite bad. My good friend told me that she would go to see her masseuse so I went to see him. He massaged me for 2 hours! Gentle shiatsu. That did the trick. A couple of months ago I was feeling like I was coming down with something and had vertigo. My original masseuse was gone and I went to one near my house - he used to be a Chinese acrobat performer (!) and that did the trick. I might see him again if my dizzy spells persist.
Long story short, your vertigo might be a symptom of stress in your body. Maybe a really good massage will help.
I can understand the stress part. I am caring for a mother with advancing dementia and just a lot of this and that. On a better note... at least my nephrologist told me I'm just somewhat abnormal but that seems to be the way my body is working now. So I just need to apply more salt to my diet and not drink too much water. My friend does shiatsu also and she really does love it, but wow! So expensive.
DeleteI'm not even sure that WordPress has a spam folder--yikes! I probably should go check. It does require me to approve a first time commenter, so that might be its way of regulating spam.
ReplyDeleteawesome information, i frequently get spam comments!!
ReplyDeleteI've got to look around in my emails more. Hmmmm, save your next can of SPAM and throw all of you unwanted blog spam in it. Just had to say that. I'm using an empty, cleaned SPAM can to be my wintertime rain gauge. Even the plastic rain gauges have instructions not to leave them out in wintertime. Yep, my previous plastic one cracked. I just made marks inside it for the inches and increments. My son used tuna cans all over his yard to check the amounts of rain from his sprinkler system for adjustments. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteI generally just delete... but maybe by marking it as spam, the system knows not to send from that source again?? Not sure the system does that...
ReplyDeleteRelatable: I too periodically check for comments that were filtered incorrectly.
ReplyDeleteI check my spam comments regularly. On occasion there are real comments and the odd spam that show up.
ReplyDelete