Terry, our retired nurse friend sent this video to us about ensuring our ability to get up from a fall. Art and I did take a "Fall Prevention" class, but it was more about how to fall. This video shows exercises on strengthening your muscles so you're able to get up if you do fall.
Thursday, September 3, 2026
Getting UP After Falling
Our son, Keola was testing us when he visited to see if we could get up from the floor with crossed legs. 😕 And nope, neither Art nor I can do it. But yes, we can if we're allowed to use our hands.
Ahhh well... I guess I'd better practice doing those pushups.
Please stay safe, everybody.
15 comments:
I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.
I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good advice
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: And now we need to do something about it.
DeleteI don't think I was ever able to get up with crossed legs and no hands. No problem with hands and arms in play, but push ups are a good idea right now.
ReplyDeleteCeci
Kay of Musings: When my son and family were at our house visiting a few years ago… I could almost do the crossed leg thing. Almost. But definitely not anymore.
DeleteThe video was pretty interesting. I'd suggest different methods of balancing that would feel more safe like using a counter or a hefty chair to practice balancing. We do this at our gym -- balancing exercises quite a bit along with strengthening the leg muscles that help you squat down to pick things up ... never bend over!
ReplyDeleteMany cannot sit down and stand up with crossed legs.
I can but I've done it forever. I most often use that when my hands are occupied with a camera but I need to lower myself and later stand.
As a young adult, I was also a gymnast so I don't think everyone is able to do that.
Using a hand to steady yourself to get up is advisable. Practice getting up and down as well as a bit of strengthening is always good!
Push ups against the counter and squats are the best!
Kay of Musings: I definitely can’t stand up with crossed legs. But yes, I need to practice getting up more.
DeleteI've had to go over to my neighbor's house and pick him up off the floor twice and toilet once. His kids are trying to convince them to move into a place where help is available but thus far it hasn't happened yet.
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: You are an amazing neighbor, Ed. I wish you lived next door to me too. It’s a good thing you’re strong.
DeleteI tried to leave a comment yesterday, but it wouldn't publish... so here goes again. I'm not sure that those of us in our 80's should even try to do getting up and down without using our arms/hands.... could cause more problems. I agree that our legs (mine) are not as strong as they used to be... can still get down easily, but getting up is definitely harder. But we do have to be careful... and some exercises to strengthen our leg muscles is probably a good idea. Doing more walking works best for me.
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: This is so weird. I tried to leave comments yesterday on others’ blogs and they wouldn’t publish too.
DeleteI really should do some of these exercises. Siiiigh….
Blogger had a big messaging snafu yesterday but it is fixed now. I thought it was just something I did!
ReplyDeleteI have positional vertigo and I am prone to falling. After breaking my arm, I don't have a lot of strength to get up. I have footstools and tables positioned around to help pull up. This old age stuff is not fun.
Kay of Musings: Me too! I carry meclizine with me whenever we travel. Oh gosh… yes…. I broke my shoulder.
DeleteI could get up using one hand touch but couldn’t with no hands. I lift weights at a gym two days a week. It’s important to stay strong.
ReplyDeleteI tied to comment yesterday but blogger was taking a nap! Lol
Kay of Musings: I mentioned to Rian that I had the same problem yesterday, but I thought it was something to do with our wifi or whatever. That’s fabulous that you’re doing weights. I really should do something too. 🥴
DeleteI feel like I would pull a muscle if I tried to get up off the floor with no hands. Perhaps I'm just making excuses? ;)
ReplyDelete