I am writing this post on Saturday, several hours before Hurricane Lala is expected to pass south of our island of Oahu. It's grazing some parts of the Big Island right now.
I'd asked my classmate/good friend on the Big Island how they were doing and she said it was OK in Hilo. In fact, her neighbor had shared a photo with her with the funny caption "Only in Hawaii."
And then my cousin on Kauai sent me the same photo! Apparently she found it on Facebook.Whatever the case, with all the dire warnings several days ago with threats that it could be another Hurricane Iniki which happened in 1992, Art and I decided to siiiighh... go ahead and put up the hurricane shields on Friday afternoon.
After 2.5 hours, we were exhausted and we still weren't done with everything.
But we gave up, saying it probably won't be thaaat bad anyway.
But in the afternoon, the governor and mayors on all the islands warned on TV that this was promising to be bad and emergency crews would be on stand-by.
It rained all of Friday night and the hurricane wasn't even all that close to us yet.
Then on Saturday morning, we saw this and more warnings.
Arrrrghhhh...
So we went out and put up the rest of the hurricane shields.
I texted my cousin, Lorna, "I'm exhausted putting up hurricane shields. We figure if we prepare, Lala will fizzle out."
She texted back, "If it fizzles, it will be all due to your efforts! Thank you." 😂
I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that Lala will blow away from us, and then I'm going to ask my brother to come and help us take all this hurricane stuff down.
POSTSCRIPT: (Written on Sunday night)
Well it's been pretty darn awful! On Saturday night around 7:30 PM the power suddenly went out! And the winds began to blow and rain started to pummel the windows. The branches of the tree next to our sidewalk broke off and fell on the neighbor's fence. I could feel the wind buffeting the house and I worried the shingles on the roof would blow off.
Art? Slept like a baby even though our bedroom is next to the mountainside where the wind hits hardest.
I moved to my office and fell asleep around 10:00. And then was rudely awakened at 10:30 when the lights suddenly came back on.
The next morning I was happy we had power. But at 6:00 AM or so the power went OUT AGAIN!
Our compact power generator for our refrigerator started to lose power around 3:30 PM so Art brought it to my brother's house a distance away to charge it again for our fridge. Dennis (who never lost power) loaned us a power bank for our phones.
And then suddenly... the power was back around 4:30 PM! What a surprise!
It's been quite a few eventful days.
Uh oh... my poor cousin just texted that he still doesn't have power at his house. If it doesn't come back by tomorrow morning, I've told him to bring it over to our house.
And I'm hoping we will still have power....😬


I wondered about you. Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteGlad you could post between naps and power events. Those tan hurricane shields are funky. Looks like canvas that covers your garage doors? The news sounds horrid all over, but many roofs peeled off on Hawaii island. One video showed a man upset how much fruit was lost from his downed trees. When the supplies are restocked, grab a short ladder. Much better than standing on plastic patio chairs, maybe? I have my token vienna sausage can in the pantry if my power goes out. Linda In Kansas
ReplyDeleteI did notice the plastic chairs and thought they were worrisome, especially at our age.
DeleteSo glad to hear that it wasn't any worse, but still, my gosh, what a lot of work you put in just to "maintain." Also glad to know your power company was able to reestablish power unlike in Saipan where they were out of power for a couple of months.
ReplyDeleteThe photo of the shoes taped to the deck made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteWe still don't have power here in Kaimuki and it has been almost a day. No internet service except from my phone which I will soon need to charge. The rain and wind gusts were crazy on Sunday! One of my large potted trees blew over but I righted it up. And now, the sun comes peeking out, all is well with the world even without electricity. Thank goodness we have water.
ReplyDeleteWhen we went shopping today there were a LOT of huge broken tree limbs all over the place. We've never seen it this bad since we moved back here almost 20 years ago. That's awful that you don't have power yet. My cousin in town got power back last night. My Mililani friends told me it's sporadic. Most power came on, but not enough for TV or bigger appliances. We're OK... but for hooow long?
DeleteI'm glad you prepared, just in case. It's so unusual for a hurricane to hit Hawaii, and terrifying! Hope you keep your power. I hate being out of power, especially without a generator. Take care!
ReplyDeleteBe prepared is smart. Hope you are spared the bad weather thought.
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: I’m afraid although we were OK… Lots of downed branches and some trees as well.
DeleteI bet you were glad you put up the hurricane covers. Glad to read all is well. Did your Mom do okay through this?
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: She was pretty oblivious to it all. Her windows were completely hurricane proofed so she never knew what was going on.
DeleteYikes, I've seen different footage clips but of course it doesn't tell the story. I sure hope that Tuesday finds you doing well.
ReplyDelete