
I've been rather astonished lately to notice that my right leg is now substantially thinner and softer than my left. The calf has lost a whole lot of muscle tone. It's rather unnerving. How can you lose muscle that quickly?

Well, I suppose this says something about needing to exercise all the time, hunh? So when I'm out of my cast, does that mean I should jump around on my right foot so that I can even out? Hmmmmm....
If I wrap a padded bandage around my tummy for three weeks, could I lose flab there?
Hmmmmmmm....
Isn't that strange? My doctor had told me when I asked about this very thing that you lose muscle before you lose fat. I was seriously considering a whole body cast ... hey! weight loss is weight loss. LOL Glad you're feeling so much better Kay!
ReplyDeleteLosing muscle before fat is unfair. So unfair. Tragically unfair. I hate exercising even more than dieting!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it's already been three weeks! The good part of that I suppose is that you're halfway to taking it off again, right?
Nancy: The problem is I can't do my walking so I swear my tummy is twice the size now. Sheesh!
ReplyDeleteSusan: True. True. I sure hope they let me take it off in 3 weeks. I HATE exercising, too. I love seeing your new profile photo. Gosh! You look so young for having a teenage daughter.
I don't see that much of a difference in the photo..but I guess that would make sense. I guess you will need some PT to get it back to strength...
ReplyDeleteMichelle From Rambling Woods
well patience and follow your doctor's instructions for regaining your muscle and returning to exercising. it's all about time...
ReplyDeleteIts probably like the "weight-loss suits" you see advertised to "sweat" off the weight! I bet P.T. afterwards will "even" you out. Glad you are progressing well.
ReplyDeleteI have heard of tummy wraps before, but I think tape over the mouth is more effective.
ReplyDeleteMichelle: I guess it's hard to tell in the photo but Art says it's noticeable.
ReplyDeleteLin: I guess patience is key. I'm just tired of it... especially in this heat.
Cheryl: I guess the problem is losing the muscle first before the fat is crappy. I can't imagine those sweat suits making you lose weight........but I wonder.
Linda: Mmmmmpfffff!
With little excercise and all the walking it will be ok soon....women tend to loose their muscles faster once they are above35...that explains importance of excercise .
ReplyDeleteKay,try that tummy thing and if it works tell us....lol.
I think your left leg is doing double duty so it is more muscular. At any rate, I am sure the right leg will recover after you toss the brace for good.
ReplyDeleteHi Kay,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to wish you
'Gute Besserung'...Can't believe
a chair caused you broken bones.
I thought I was the only one who
did stupid chair things - remember
my wrist? Not sure if you were here then. It shrank too.
You'll get back your strength and
beautiful leg in time but probably need physical therapy.
Take care. Vera
Kavita: If it really worked we'd see a whole lot of women wearing a belt in the U.S.
ReplyDeleteGigi: I hope so. I don't think I like the unbalanced look.
Vera: Hallo, Vera! How great to hear from you. Yes, I do these crazy things, too. Can you believe you, Caroline and me (neighbors in Illinois)all having broken bones? My leg isn't as bad as Caroline's was. I wonder if she's got one skinny leg, too. Well my friend, have a great start to the week. Auf wiedersehen!
Oh, if only it were that easy to lose weight! And doing the exercises to get the muscle tone back again is almost as dreary as dieting. But needs must. It must be driving you mad to have to wear the boot in the heat, but at least it's easier than a cast.
ReplyDeleteI may just wrap my tummy! I was surprised to see that you lost the muscle so fast. I'm so glad to see you on the mend though.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you Kay, in hopes that you're completely better soon.
Kay, you made me giggle about wrapping your tummy, if that worked I'd be doing it big time!!
ReplyDeletewrapping your tummy..haha.plz do try and share with us..
ReplyDeleteAmanda: The nice thing about a boot cast is that you can wash the insert when it starts to smell, too. I change my socks morning and night so I've been OK so far. Nobody has held their nose when I go by...yet.
ReplyDeleteSandy: If tummy wrapping worked, those old time Japanese women with those heavy obis should have all had flat tummies. Hmmmm...
Sherri: I wish it were that easy too but I do know that you can't just get rid of fat with heat and pressure. I think... Wouldn't it be nice though?
R. Ramesh: I would if it weren't so hot in Hawaii! Thanks for visiting R. Ramesh. It's so nice to meet new people.
I remember the difference is size of one of my students' arms when he broke it and had to wear a cast for weeks. The broken arm soon caught up with the "normal" arm after the cast came off, though. It is surprising, though, how quickly muscles atrophy when they're not used regularly.
ReplyDeleteHi Kay, doesn't take long to lose that muscle tone does it but I'm glad to hear your foot is feeling better. I'm always spraining my ankles and a doctor told me long ago that I have a weakness in them. Fortunately no broken bones yet but I'm touching wood as I say that.
ReplyDelete