Monday, November 9, 2009

Doing the Right Thing

Abe Lincoln of Pick a Peck of Pixels wrote a post on Sunday about how some Americans thought it was a good thing to kill off all Native American men, women and children in 1867.

When I've mentioned atrocities that happened in the past some people have excused it saying, "It was just the times. That was how it was back then. They couldn't help but believe that way."

I couldn't believe that but could it be true? Slave owners and their families were OK because they really felt it was fine with God for them to do this? European immigrants coming to America could kill Native Americans in horrific ways because they were clearing the country for Christianity? Citizens didn't really know what was going on during the Holocaust and if they did it was still OK because they were clearing the world of Judaism?

Really?

And yet there were people in those times who fought against the injustices. I was reading about John Brown in the Smithsonian Magazine. His strategy was extreme but he was a religious man fighting the extreme evil of slavery. During the Holocaust there were diplomats and citizens who tried to save as many people as they could.

I'm not sure why but thinking of this opened up memories of kindnesses from so many people we met while away from Hawaii. I'd heard terrible stories of prejudice on the Mainland. I feared it and steeled myself for it. Yes, I saw a bit of it but there were far more people who were extraordinarily kind.

Thirty five years ago we were newly arrived in Chicago from Hawaii and moved into a two flat owned by an older German landlord who told us he fought under the Kaiser. He became our surrogate grandfather giving drills to train me to not open doors so freely as I did in Hawaii. He would cook sweet and sour meatballs and share them with us. I know he cared deeply about us and was upset when we bought a home and had to move out. He came to inspect our home later to make sure we'd made a good choice and we visited him whenever we could.

We moved into an older subdivision populated mostly by Catholics in a predominantly Jewish town. We didn't know any of this when we bought the place. In fact, we moved in the winter and Art heard from somebody on the train going to work that they were surprised we lived there because they thought it was a very segregated community. We had no idea! What a shock! They told us our community was even nicknamed "The island of gentiles in the sea of Jerusalem." From being in the majority in Hawaii, it was rather disconcerting to be a minority and it took some getting used to.

Anyway, one day I was talking to my neighbor who was into Lithuanian dances and she was scolding me for not knowing any Japanese dances. Dick, a veteran of WWII (Pacific theater) and a retired reporter was riding by on his bicycle....slowly. He overheard part of our conversation, stopped and proceeded to quite sternly chide my neighbor saying, "Why do you expect her to know Japanese dances? She is American!" I stood there with my mouth agape.

When Dick passed away, I wanted to attend the funeral. I planned to sit at the back and be unobtrusive. However, when I walked in, somebody must have noticed. I suppose I stood out a bit. Dick's grieving wife walked down that long aisle, thanked me for coming, took my hand and insisted I come up front to sit with them.

I've never forgotten that.

22 comments:

  1. Kay, this is great. Made me stop and really think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kay, your photo brought back a flood of memories and a tear.
    A warm house with a perfect family.
    The kids and I always loved coming into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you for the reminder that there are so many good people in this country. I'm contemplating a posting on health care and the libertarian " take care of myself" attitude has me feeling down.
    I think I need to remember that as individuals, most poeple are good. It's collectively that they can be trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, you find good and bad everywhere. Sometimes it helps not to have negative expectations-they you aren't looking for that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Kay, so interesting. I met a young lady from Somalia yesterday, late teens/early 20's. She had been in this area for three years and sounded very American. When she heard my accent she was surprised I had been in the US for almost 34 years. I've never lost my British accent. Our area is rich in different cultures, one I am truly glad that our son was brought up in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. So many of history's atrocities came from mistrust, fear, greed and arrogance---I hope we keep getting better.

    We used to live in Belfast, which years ago was segregated. We moved into a mixed neighbourhood which had been, well, "their" neighbourhood, and from some quarters the hostility was very intimidating. I felt under seige very often---eventually we had to leave. But the moments of kindness and friendship really shine among those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful house and a beautiful story, to boot! It brought a tear to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not think wiping out peoples and cultures was acceptable in the past. I do not think we should excuse it as "one of those things", but I do believe it is time to let the anger go. How can we learn to never do such things again, if we are still extracting punishments for things long past?

    No matter how badly I feel, I cannot make amends for something my great, great, great, great grandfather did while owning slaves. All that I can do is live my life embracing the differences of others and working to end such current injustices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh -- the way you were greeted at Dick's funeral, and the way you responded to me when I spoke in ignorance -- that is the way forward. With love, acceptance and education.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very moved by your post. I wish that people would treat each other better. Kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, I'm reading my daughter's art history and of how the Spanish invaders destroyed all the pre-Columbian (Central, South American) art and their society. Man's inhumanity to man? Survival of the fittest?

    Glad you have good memories of Chicago and were able to fit into society there so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent, thoughtful post!!!! I have never understood how anyone who calls him/herself a Christian can be prejudiced.

    Heck! I'm Catholic and there are those who have told me I'm not a Christian and want me to believe the 'right' (their) way. (St. Peter wasn't a Christian?)

    We'll all find out what the
    'right' way is when we meet our Maker.

    I believe that God (or whatever you call him/her) will not judge us on what (if any) religion we practice but on how we lived our lives.

    Some people are gonna be in a lot of trouble. I hope I'm not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story...its hard to contain my emotions right now as my eyes are wet and my mind full of thoughts.A lovely,lovely house and some very touching tales...we never forget good things don't we ?

    About all the horrible things done in the past its better to learn from them so that the history is not repeated.I hope we all realize this before we all kill each other in the name of religion,politics,land,resources etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful, thoughtful post, Kay. Thanks for sharing. Kindness always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this uplifting true-life post, Kay.


    Aloha, Neighbor


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Kay, thank you! I married a black man in the early 60s and I was from Texas. I refused to believe that people were different because of color or religion or whatever differences people came up with. My children grew up never seeing color or differences because of religion and thankfully they still don't. We all have two legs, walk upright. Why can't we just accept each other for the human beings that we are!

    Have a great week, my friend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  17. How terrible people can be! The worst thing is that they justify their actions with one of the Holy Books in their hands. Only Jesus and Buddha never ever told us to kill or to discriminate against each other. Slavery was and still is the worst of all crimes. I cannot understand that Christians didn't see that their actions were downright against the message Jesus taught them.Very great post Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it usually take some time to get used to the new environment..

    ReplyDelete
  20. A truly superb post, Kay! I read an interesting quote recently . . .

    I would rather live my life believing God is real and find out He isn't, than to live my life believing there is no God and then find out there is.

    I am thankful for the upbringing I had that I have passed on to my children.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Most posts don't bring tears to my eyes in spite of my soft heart my kids say I have but your post did just that.

    Yes, the people -- the Native Americans felt the pains of terrorism from a lot of misguided Christians and that is what my post was about the day you visited.

    I am spending the whole week on the topics this post gouged out of my memories.

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was thinking about this after watching a show on 'the independent lens' about a coal power company in the SW desert on native land that didn't benefit the native people. How can any group think it OK to take advantage of any other group? I don't understand at all...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.