
We just got a Christmas card today. The address labels to and from on the envelope were computer generated. The card itself did not have our name on it anywhere and the signature was also computer generated.
Ummmm....
There is no actual handwriting anywhere. The card has never been warmed by human hands. No newsletter to indicate what they've been up to all year. No photo. This isn't the first time. It's like this almost every year. (Yes, there's been a few years where they've actually written their own name on the card.)
Why did they bother to send this card? Perhaps I'm being too harsh? It is after all the season to be merry.
Yeah, if it's that way then what's the point of even sending it?
ReplyDeleteKay, I have to say I agree. I think alot of people send cards just because that's the thing to do. I personally sign every card, write my return address and the recipients address. It takes me hours because I also make holly and berries on each side of the recipients address and color them in with red and green markers, but I just love doing it!
ReplyDeleteI agree. There's nothing heartwarming about receiving a greeting that's never before been touched by human hands. And I've lately seen an add on t.v. from Kodak or a similar company that prints your photo cards and mails it for you! You don't even have to have the card in your possession at all before it's mailed out.
ReplyDeleteAll of ours are usually signed. My problem is that my eyesight is tired and my hands are even worse. I was thinking about sending out a holiday email....but that's pretty bad stuff. Not a merry thing.....
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. I preferr New Year's cards because people have more time to write something.
ReplyDeleteWe know every year our first Christmas card of the season will be from one of Bob's brothers. He is compulsive by nature so he probably addressed all the cards in July just to be able to mark that task off his list. There's never anything but their names inside the card. I'm always tempted to trash it immediately.
I never snail mail holiday cards, because I don't see the point. But, my favorite greeting is from my friend Lynette, who sends me a newsletter consisting of color photos and brief captions. Lately, she has been emailing her newsletter, which is even better, as it saves trees. I, in turn, email her my blog entry of my xmas party just so she can see pics of my family.
ReplyDeleteThat is my favorite kind of holiday exchange!
I agree, a card with address, return address and signature all computer-generated is worse than no card at all.
ReplyDeleteMy handwriting has degenerated badly over the past several years (as has my typing) and I find myself making handwritten errors as well as typos, but the people who love me will understand.
No, Kay, you're not wrong to feel unerappreciated, but maybe-perhaps the sender has arthritis or some other problem that makes writing difficult and/or painful?
Hi to Art -- K and Dick
It's like a decaf soy latte. Why bother?
ReplyDeleteChristmas cards - lovely to receive them but they are an added consideration when life is busy. I enjoy cards with personal messages - but why is it that Christmas is so often the only time to catch up? Then and funerals . . .
ReplyDeletewell I do a newsletter then try to add a little something written at the end but it sure helps to have computer generated addresses to and from for the envelopes. OTherwise it's a too lengthy process.
ReplyDeleteWe've cut back on the number of cards we send, but still do everything by hand. I address the envelopes, and Hubby signs the cards and takes care of the postage and mailing.
ReplyDeleteThe only thing I don't write in long-hand is the address label. I usually have printed ones that are festive for the season. My handwriting is terrible these days but I print my envelopes out so that the mailman will be able to deliver them, and then I do a handwritten message inside. I have a few friends who suffer from arthritis and get their cards printed. I love getting round-robin Christmas letters but even these have whittled down over the years. It will probably all be done electronically one day - sad to say - and we'll be finding handwritten Christmas cards in the Smithsonian :)
ReplyDeleteI should add that the Christmas Cards I truly treasure are the ones that are handmade. I used to have a dear old family friend who painted all her Christmas Cards and I still have them. My sister also made me beautifully hand-crafted cards and to me they are greatly treasured now that she is no longer with us. When my other friend passed away that was the last of my hand-crafted cards but I treasure all the ones they sent me; they are absolutely priceless.
ReplyDeletec'mon Kay, the post office still needs the revenue. LOL, don't forget to buy a $2.00 card to send back in return.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you! Send me your address and I'll send you a personal card! I had photo cards made up thinking they were postcards I can mail. Nope, they're actual photos and have that darn stamp on the back so I can't write on them! When I realized I wasn't supposed to write on them it just blew me away.
ReplyDeleteI must admit that over the past years I've been annoyed by the newsletters that come with Christmas cards; they seem so impersonal, just a list of 'look how clever our children are' not tailored to the recipient at all. But, in retrospect, I have 'fuller' memories of those people now than I have of people who just sent cards, so perhaps they're not so bad after all. I do print off address labels, it takes far too long to write out all the addresses, and I use printed return labels that I receive from various charities each year who are attempting to woo me into donating. But I do make each and every one of my cards myself and then write the recipient's name and greeting inside, as well as signing them. Note that I keep repeating 'I' - Christmas cards is not something that DH has ever got involved in; I imagine that's much the same the world over.
ReplyDeleteI definitely use address labels also. My problem is when there is absolutely no personalization on the card. I get more personalized cards from my banker and newspaper delivery person.
ReplyDeleteI think you can only count on people that love you and the friends that care a lot to be sincere in Christmas cards. Thank you for coming by and thanks for your Christmas wish. I like your new windows, have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteIt could have been worse... a Happy Holidays text....@:}...I know I love a hand written card...
ReplyDelete