"I guess it's going to be like 1979, hunh?" I asked.
"1967!" she said.
I remember arriving in Chicago in 1974 and everybody telling me how mild it was that winter. When I told them I thought it was quite a lot, since it was my first experience with snow, they said it was nothing compared to '67.
Well, 1979 was no slouch! I was exhausted from shoveling.Wikipedia states: The Chicago Blizzard of 1979 was a major blizzard that affected northern Illinois and northwest Indiana, U.S. on January 13-January 14, 1979. 16.5 inches (41.9 cm) of snow fell on January 13 alone, setting a new record for snow in one calendar day. By the end of January 14, 18.8 inches (47.8 cm) of snow had fallen.
However, I have to admit it was rather fun, too since I didn't have to try to get to work. Tiffany was around 4 years old and Jon was 1. Interestingly, KC is now 4 years old, too. These photos show the mountain of snow piled up in front of our house by the front-end loaders. The city was having a hard time finding places to store the snow.
Unfortunately, Tif doesn't remember any of it except from these photos we took. I hope they take lots of photos so that KC can remember. I've told Tif to send me some photos so I can post them in the next day or two.
POSTSCRIPT: WOW! I just got an automated emergency call from our town in Illinois. They have our Hawaii phone number on file and warned us to stay home, park on the correct side of the street and not call 911 unless it's a dire emergency. They also want me to shovel around the fire hydrant. Nuts! Look at these photos. Can you imagine trying to shovel out a fire hydrant?
Wow, that sure was alot of snow Kay!! I hope Tif and KC don't get that much!
ReplyDeletewow look at all that snow! We're hunkering down for a big storm tonight too.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is some serious snow. Makes our 18 inches or so look paltry. Sure looks like it was fun for Tif, although not for you.
ReplyDeleteWe've had some serious cold, though. -30 Celsius when I got up this morning, but it has warmed up a lot and is only -13 now. (Those would be 22 below 0 Fahrenheit and 8.6 above 0.) We have bright sunlight and blue skies. The sun actually felt warm coming through the south window.
-- K
Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
Great pictures! It has snowed here all day. We were out of school today and already tomorrow. In fact, I doubt we'll go all week. Now they say another storm is possible Sunday. What? That's not good. We'll be going all summer. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures. How long did it take those snow piles to melt?
ReplyDeleteMy school was closed today, and I just learned I'll have another day off tomorrow. Hubby's office was also closed, which he's heard only happens about once a decade.
We had this storm also in Michigan in 1979. It snowed so much that the snow on the ground met the overhanging snow on the house. Enjoyed your pictures.
ReplyDeleteEverybody east of the Rockies is getting it. In Colorado Jill had only an inch of snow, but the high today was -1 F. The system has picked up moisture from the gulf and making snow farther east.
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing that you got a call from Chicago! Sure glad you don't have to dig out your hydrant.
Kathy G: Gosh! I don't remember how long it took for the snow to melt. Since the snow occurred in January, I imagine a long time.
ReplyDeleteTiffany is right.
ReplyDeleteWe are looking out the window and there is snow everywhere. The wind is really something about 60 miles an hour.
We could get anywhere from 16 1/2 inches to 23 inches,
My husband was sent home around 1 pm and it took my daughter over 2 hours to get home from work when it usually takes her 25 minutes.
It's really pretty though and I'm thrilled not to be out side.
Can I come visit????
We are now freezing in Colorado, but we are not buried in snow. I am so worried out our families who are being hit so hard with all this snow. After a while, where do they put it all????
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine that much snow. Those pictures are great. We are going to be having a sleety rain to wake up to tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLove your attitude about the fire hydrant. That is truly a lot of snow.
ReplyDeleteSo...did you go outside and make sure the fire hydrant was nice and clear? hee hee
ReplyDeleteWe're going to dodge this bullet here in the Nation's Capital. About time we missed one - the kids have been out of school too much already.
SouthLakes Mom: Thank goodness we're in Hawaii so we don't have to worry about the fire hydrant anymore. :-)
ReplyDeletePeggy: Come on over!!! Yae!!! I just heard that District #65 is cancelling school. That's pretty momentous. They usually wait until the very, very last possible minute. This is sounding pretty scary since they're cancelling the night before. How weird is that?
ReplyDeletesome thing to be thankful for, no snow!
ReplyDeleteLove the header...stunning...hubby will be out tomorrow taking care of the hydrants...sooo important...
ReplyDeleteWell, forget about the view from your former window. That's a Mount Kay in the yard. Beats Everest.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to Tiffany and all.
Best wishes to your daughter and her family! Hope they have enough groceries in the kitchen to last for awhile!
ReplyDeleteThe '67 blizzard was preceeded by extreme cold. My husband was stranded with a dead battery on the highway between Chicago and Madison, where we lived then, and almost didn't make it; a police car came along and rescued him. He could have frozen to death.
ReplyDeleteWe had to wait until after the big Chicago storm to go pick our car up there.
Oh, I bet you're glad you live where you do! I cannot imagine living in snow and having to shovel anything like that.
ReplyDelete