Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jin Joo

After that dog show we went to at Thomas Square, we decided to grab a quick lunch at the Waimalu shopping Center. It's actually a sort of big strip mall with lots of different restaurants, bakeries and grocery stores. We decided to try the Jin Joo restaurant since we read about it in the newspaper recently.

There was a huge downpour so the restaurant was quite empty.


The owners were very friendly and happy to have some customers. We usually frequent Yummy Korean B-B-Q which is a very popular Korean fast food chain here. However, we really enjoyed Jin Joo and would go back there. For an even more reasonable price we got a lot more panchan (side dishes). We always love the panchan even more than the main meat course.


For under $8.00, this lunch special was really generous. I had barbecue chicken and meat. I told Art there was no way I could eat all my food. However, I'm embarrassed to say I ate the whole thing (sort of; Art ate most of my rice and some of my meat)...and we finished all the panchan, too.


Art had meat jun and barbecue chicken.

Yup... I do think we'll go back someday. In fact, I think we'll have to bring our Korean son-in-law next time they come back to Hawaii.

18 comments:

  1. I love to see rice in ball shape and all the other exotic foods you show.
    Sounds like a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! We had some wonderful meals in "diners" in Hawaii....my favourite was Giovanni's shrimp truck, when we were on the North Shore on Oahu....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never had Korean food but now will try if given the opportunity. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Thai food but have never tried Korean or Vietnamese food. It does look good especially before I've had breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great! I must try Jin Joo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had Korean food in a resturant. We have a family friend who is Korean. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her Bulgogi!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay, I'm reading this at 10:37 a.m. and now I am hungry for lunch already-LOL!!! Glad you enjoyed your meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a serious yum!!!! I wish we had a Korean restaurant here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious, not to mention generous, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks delicious, especially the panchan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can''t believe you ate all that. Amazing stuff....looks really good too. And what a vacation. Wow....I bet they did one really big stop every day. That would wear me to a nub in no time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like quite a feast! The first Korean food I ever ate was Bi Bim Bo (I think I remembered correctly) and I loved it! Since then I've tried many more dishes and found them all delicious. Too often foods cooked in restaurants sacrifice flavor for heat but I have yet to experience that with Korean foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That meal looks scrumptious. I'm sorry to say that I've never eaten Korean food -- even though our county has the greatest number of Koreans in the country. I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have three Korean students this semester. Maybe I can get them to cook for me. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those pix are making me very hungry. One of my favorite kind of meals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The food does look good, my husband loves this kind of food. I have to admit I did eat some of the chicken.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.