
Keukenhof Tulip Gardens was even more spectacular than we expected. It is absolutely breathtaking. I doubt I'll ever see so many different kinds of tulips in one place again.

We took hundreds of photos of the flowers that were blooming that spring.



We saw tulips of an array of colors...

shapes and sizes.

Everywhere we turned there were tulips and spring flowers bursting with color.

And yes, we saw a lot of canals and windmills. This is at Kinderdijk.

We also went to Belgium. This is Antwerp's Rubenshaus (House of Peter Paul Rubens).

Yes, I did survive that bike trip, but I've never been on a bike since. I'll never forget all the gorgeous sights and friendly (tall) people we met.
Netflix Recommendation: I recommended the foreign language film, Departures (Okuribito) a while ago. I just loved that movie. It received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film in 2009. I've just discovered that it's on Instant Streaming on Netflix or you can just rent the movie...Just in case you might be interested.
what fun photos, reminds us that spring will come...
ReplyDeletethose gardens are so beautiful Kay, I hope I can visit there one day. I didn't realize you've only been back living in Hawaii since 2007.
ReplyDeleteI would spend all my time around with wind mills if I ever get there. I see all the flowers over here at Lowe's, Home Depot and Wallmart.
ReplyDeleteWe took this same trip last spring. Thanks for reminding me of the beauty. Keukenhof is truly a feast for the eyes.
ReplyDeleteI am really impressed that you did such a long bike trip. I also enjoyed visiting the Keukenhof several times. Kinderdijk is a fifteen minutes'walk from where I live. It's a pity we didn't know each other. Otherwise you could have stayed with me. I often go to Kinderdijk.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that I could manage a bike trip these days, how about you? But we are hoping to take our motorhome to the Netherlands sometime soon, so I may well come back to you to pick your brains about good places to visit. What time of year were you there?
ReplyDeleteAmanda: Our trip to the Netherlands was from April 24 until May 3rd. Spring is truly the time to go and Keukenhof is NOT to be missed.
ReplyDeleteReader Wil: I wish I knew you then too, but I hadn't started blogging until a year later. If I did know you, I would have asked if I could stay with you and let Art bike the rest of the way by himself.
ReplyDeleteRiding a bike is fun but going a distance is probably tiring. About 20 miles from us we have a town named Holland (after the country) and they have windmills and millions of tulips, in gardens and they line almost every street and put them in all the parks (one windmill brought over from the country of Holland), and it has bullet holes from the war in the big fan blades. They also have a big tulip festival every year in May, people from all over the world come, it is a big deal, parade and all, and during the parade they throw water on the streets and scrub the street. Thank you for the history of the Hawaii candle, very interesting and thank you for coming by.
ReplyDeleteMargaret Cloud: I wish, wish, wish we'd gone to Holland, Michigan. We do know about the festival, but never went. It's funny that we now live in Hawaii but...doggone it... I want to go there. We still may!
ReplyDeleteOh, what delightful memories your photos today brought me, Kay! I have been to Keukenhof and during the tulip festival! It is awesomely beautiful, isn't it? I loved it! Hope you have a beautiful day!
ReplyDeleteSylvia
I've been to Holland, but I didn't see fields of tulips like you saw. Sure wish I had!
ReplyDeleteI guess we must have been in Holland the year after you were there. We took a 10 day river boat cruise, called "Tulips and Windmills". Of course we visited Keukenhof and Kinderdijk as well. In fact it was the beginning of my blogging, and you found me because of my photos of Keukenhof!
ReplyDeleteYou both look great!
ReplyDeleteAloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
><}}(°>
<°)}}><
What a beautiful place!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I bussed through Holland from Germany to get to the airport, where I took a plane to New York. Such a long time ago 1970.
ReplyDeletea sight for flower starved eyes here... thank you...
ReplyDeleteWow stunning pictures.
ReplyDeleteAlso like the snow scenes from your daughter.