We've been celebrating St. Patrick's Day ever since we moved to Chicago 35 years ago because let's face it, everybody in Chicago seems to be Irish. In our family, my sister-in-law, Nancy and my son, Jon's Sarah is Irish.
We were going to have our St. Patrick's Day party last week, but Diane was very ill so we postponed it to this past Saturday. Diane and Joanne are my childhood to college buddies.
Our favorite corned beef is Cook's. We were so happy to find it at the Commissary. We'd originally bought John Morrell because we couldn't find Cook's earlier. We'll be having another St. Patrick's Day party with my brother and his family. It'll probably be Easter by the time we can find a time convenient for everybody in their family.
We also bought two kinds of Guinness beer. Mom can drink all of us under the table and still walk a straight line.
I bought three packages of corned beef which gave us enough left overs to send home with everybody and for our dinner on Sunday. I guess I didn't need two cabbages. We had way too much left over.
Joanne and Rich brought over the Chinese chicken salad and boiled peanuts which were scrumptious.
Diane and Dave brought over these amazing cupcakes from Sugarlina Bake Shop in Aiea.
Apparently they had green ones last week, but they had these this week.
They were decadent!
Do you know I actually went out last week to buy that green blouse because I left my other green blouse in Chicago? I'll be ready for next year in both places now.
And speaking of Chicago, here's the St. Patrick's Day card I made for my granddaughter.
I'm wishing you all a lucky day everyday, everybody!
We were going to have our St. Patrick's Day party last week, but Diane was very ill so we postponed it to this past Saturday. Diane and Joanne are my childhood to college buddies.
Our favorite corned beef is Cook's. We were so happy to find it at the Commissary. We'd originally bought John Morrell because we couldn't find Cook's earlier. We'll be having another St. Patrick's Day party with my brother and his family. It'll probably be Easter by the time we can find a time convenient for everybody in their family.
We also bought two kinds of Guinness beer. Mom can drink all of us under the table and still walk a straight line.
I bought three packages of corned beef which gave us enough left overs to send home with everybody and for our dinner on Sunday. I guess I didn't need two cabbages. We had way too much left over.
Joanne and Rich brought over the Chinese chicken salad and boiled peanuts which were scrumptious.
Diane and Dave brought over these amazing cupcakes from Sugarlina Bake Shop in Aiea.
Apparently they had green ones last week, but they had these this week.
They were decadent!
Do you know I actually went out last week to buy that green blouse because I left my other green blouse in Chicago? I'll be ready for next year in both places now.
And speaking of Chicago, here's the St. Patrick's Day card I made for my granddaughter.
I'm wishing you all a lucky day everyday, everybody!






You and Art always host the nicest parties. Glad you all had a good time!
ReplyDeleteYour power-pack has to be stronger than the Energizer Bunny! How do you do it all?
ReplyDeletesuch a great time you had, and Kay you are a wonderful artist!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I think the corned beef is tasty, the cabbage cooked in corned beef broth is actually my favorite part of the meal!
ReplyDeleteNice portrait of everyone wearing green. Art doesn't have to worry about having something green, he must have a t-shirt in every color imaginable! :-)
ReplyDeleteAll it takes is the green shirts and you are instantly Irish. A certain amount of 'green' beer may help as well. And everyone looks happy.
ReplyDeletewhat a fun card and fantastic celebration!
ReplyDeleteI love the pic of your mom eyeing Art as he pours the Guinness, and she looks happy as can be in the group picture.
ReplyDeleteIt amuses me every year that Americans celebrate St Patrick's Day in such a big way. I imagine they make a bit of a fuss in Ireland, though I've never heard of anything going on, but in the rest of the UK the day passes in much the same way as any other day. I'm not even sure of the date of St Patrick's Day!
ReplyDeleteAll of you look great in green. Just don't let Mom drink her beer and try her "straight line" while on the treadmill! DrumMajor
ReplyDeleteFun post! :-)
ReplyDeleteAloha
As the descendent of the origial Europeans who settled the city of Chicago, I can tell you not everyone is Irish. My German-Polish-Swiss-French cousins still live there.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I like Irish folks just fine. However, on St Patrick's Day my Mom, who was Dutch, wore orange ribbons in her hair in remembrance of the Dutch ancestor who fought with William of Orange to subdue the Irish in the seventeenth century. (Some of the old timers still remember.)
Glad you had a great day. Love the card.
Dianne
You always bring a smile to my face.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed when you said your mom can hold her liquor, lol. Lovely photos thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHave уou ever thought about adding a little bit mοre thаn just your articles?
ReplyDeleteI mean, what you ѕаy iѕ fundamental and еverything.
Νevertheless just imagine іf you added sοmе greаt gгaρhics οr νideo clіps to give your posts moгe, "pop"!
Your content is excellent but with pics anԁ videos,
this blog could ceгtainly be one οf the most
bеneficial in its niche. Good blog!
Also viѕit my websіte: teen acne
I heard that 35 million people claim Irish ancestry. Those Irish sure were busy. I ended up being half. Love how you are all in green and had such a traditional Irish meal. Laughed out loud at your Mom's prowess with the Guinness. Way to go Mom.
ReplyDeletePS That is 35 mil here in the US. We outnumber the country of Ireland by 7 times.
ReplyDeleteMy husband loved the Costco corned beef sample so we bought the already cooked version. It was sooo easy to heat and serve but it didn't come with enough broth to cook the cabbage. Your cards to your granddaughter will be a very loving momento for her to keep forever.
ReplyDeleteL...w
What a great looking group, all dressed in green.
ReplyDeleteI haven't made corned beef and cabbage for a long time. Looks good!
My family never did much for the holiday. A few years we'd make the green cookies.
ReplyDeleteIt's quite funny (for me) to see all you Japanese people in Irish green. God bless America. :)
ReplyDeleteThat did occur to me. I loved it! It's a little bit like when people have luaus on the mainland and wear Hawaiian outfits.
DeleteAnd the card is beautiful. So you're an artist on top of everything else? Good onya.
ReplyDeleteThat card is amazing Kay. Truly! Both you and Art are very artistic. I love the example you are also setting for KC. Handmade is truly precious when it is personally made by someone you love. You all look wonderful in your green and I really love your new top. I cannot get away without sleeves anymore but you look like you have Michelle Obamas biceps lol. Those cupcakes - mmmmmmm they look incredibly dangerous.
ReplyDeleteAwww... Thank you, Lilly. I only wear sleeveless in summer when it's sweltering hot. For some reason I couldn't find anything green that week when we went hunting at all the stores. This week I'm seeing green everywhere. Go figure.
Delete