Friday, October 10, 2014

Keeping Track of the Days

When I'm not paying attention, a whole week can go by and I don't know where the time went.  It's rather disconcerting.  I can hardly remember what I did yesterday. Two days before?  Forget it!


I have a smaller 2 year pocket calendar that I love and couldn't find the 2015-16 version until recently.

I also keep a larger 2 year calendar for my desk with more detailed information.  I would be LOST without them.  We have so many different doctors appointments to keep track of, not to mention meetings with friends, Zumba, tai-chi, etc.




Art records everything we do on an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.  I'm always amazed at how much minutia he can jot down, but it really helps!

He says he can't access his desktop when he's on travel so he records everything on a little sheet of paper which he transfers to his spreadsheet when he gets home.

How do you keep track of everything?


29 comments:

  1. ha ha, I don't!!! sadly, I envy your organization!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small planner that holds my life together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy: I don't. My life is pretty much the same week after week, season after season. You are so organized! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can upload your schedule to the icloud which is called something different now and access it from anywhere. I still use a paper schedule and planner in my purse to keep track of my appts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started using Micorsoft Outlook on my kitchen computer back when I had three children at three different schools. You can have recurring items show up with just a couple of clicks. Now I sync that calendar to my phone so I know what's going on when I'm out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should say that. I often think when reading a mystery or watching one on TV...how can anyone remember wher they were at the time of the murder. Can you account for your movements yesterday between 2and4? Waiting in a doctor's office. Did anyone see you? Yes, but I don't know any of them...except the administrator at the desk, and I am not sure she noticed me.. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I have to agree with you. Impossible without some system.
    I make my own monthly desk calendar every year (with a pen and a ruler) on 8 x 12 paper. Stuff I have to remember to do or act on I write in ink. Events that might not pan out I write in pencil, so they can later be switched to other dates or erased.
    I addition I make a page for every week, with seven columns, and jot down what I hope to or need to get accomplished each day. Some tasks get checked off as done, some never do. Most often there is hardly enough room on the page. But still people sometimes will say, "You have no family nearby, you don't have a job; what do you DO all day??" Oi ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, can you rent Art out to those of us a little less organized. I do have a wall calendar that has everything on it for my hubby and me, and I have to look at it constantly to be reminded of where I need to be and when. I just missed a massage appointment of all things, since I didn't have it on the calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pencil and paper and a little pocket calendar. I like free days with nothing written on them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of those two page a week appointment callendars. It zips shut and is about 9x7...a little too big to be easy to carry around. Names and addresses in the front. All the big yearly stuff I keep in a Word file under Contents in my yearly journal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A calendar to keep track of appointments and important dates. Does Art record everyday for archival purposes? How often does he refer back to his Excel spreadsheets for events that have happened? Does he backup his Excel files regularly too? If yes, then he should be a librarian or a historian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my head and on a small calendar hanging on the fridge. My days are pretty predictable I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're realizing that we have to keep better track of things. Although we try not to be too busy, there are times when we need a little better organization of our activities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On calendars. Blue ink for me, red ink for g'kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had an agenda book since in my teens. It has gotten a bit larger over the years. It's where my head is really.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use my email calendar to help me out. I just have to remember to check it out daily. You miss weeks, I am missing months.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Writing things down really helps. i kept a journal until 20 years ago. When I read it I can remember the whole day even if the details weren't written down. I also had seizures where I didn't make any new memories for 10 mins. or 2 hours..

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I taught high school I kept very detailed lesson plan books. I had one for each of the 21 years I was teaching, but when I left, I threw them all in the garbage can. One of my department mates made the comment, "we don't teach like that any more and who would want them, even if we did." True.

    Now I keep a daily journal, a 5 year calendar, a one year calendar, and some things on my iCal. I really should keep the iCal updated better so I would have it on my phone at all times.

    I just jotted in activities for December. Imagine, the year is almost gone. though, hard to think of Christmas when it's still 90 degrees here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to get more organized. I try but slip into old habits. I have a journal I write in every day and that helps. Gregg likes to do the spreadsheet like Art.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The freedom of not working, yes! No need to keep track of anything any more. All my doc app'ts I retain their little card and I dbl. check to ensure I got the right date and time. That's about it. All my jobs I had to keep track of my boss's appointments and others.....and as years went by and technology followed it got a lot easier. At work we used Outlook so we could access everyone's calendar. When you don't work all the days blend into each other and today (Fri) I thought was Saturday and thought geez the roads are kinda empty. uh duh. I am so loving it. F R E E D O M

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like you, I keep a pocket calendar with appointments and such. But free of work and school obligations, who CARES what they day is called or numbered? Not me, simple curiosities, or small practicalities, but I love living in the Big Now. Yesterday and 40 years ago (as in my blog today) are equally sources of stories and lessons. . . . most of them forgotten no doubt




    ALOHA from Honolulu-Side
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christopher and I have gone paperless. We both use an iPhone and get together every few weeks to make sure we're up to date with each other. The joy of using the iPhone is that any entry transfers automatically to our laptops and my iPad. I never kept my paper diaries when I used them so not knowing what I did last year isn't a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't keep track of what I do everyday. It doesn't work for me. I begin to hate noting things down and sooner or later give up altogether. I might note on the calendar a special event or doctor's appointment, so I don't forget the date. I like doing things when I feel motivated and I like taking as long as I want to and not feel rushed to complete a project. When else except in retirement do I have a chance to live so carefree? Not completely retired, but on somedays I am.

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
  24. How funny that you would post this as I am looking a the calendar I am keeping in my smart phone. I have been trying to decide what I still need to keep in the way of paper calendars. I have a church calendar of events that comes in the mail monthly, I have a wonderful DAV pocket calendar that I have kept for years and I save the old ones because they are much like a diary. I have a wall calendar in my home office too. Then I have my daily journal book that I write in for the entire year. Something must go since the phone calendar is always by my side and available to use. However I feel the need for a paper save in the event my cell phone would become damaged, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh gosh, I have a calendar in my purse that I try to keep track of and you know my blog helps in some of the "Daddy" stuff. My brother and I have taken the step to record his doc visits and what transpires because we have to OFTEN answer the questions from other doc's. Honestly I have never been busier in my life, even when the kids were young. Amazing really.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A Hawaiian calendar in the kitchen; a boring plain calendar on my desk. Just now trying out the smartphone calendar. Waiting for you to come and organize my past adventure photos....DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, yeah, used to keep a calendar when I was dating.....still have it. Makes for an interesting review of 30 years ago! .DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a weekly planning calendar on a corner of my kitchen counter that I walk by all the time, so it is easily spotted. I use sticky note reminders here, there, and everywhere, and I am relying more and more on my iPhone calendar instead of my little purse/pocket calendar.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.