Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Day #16: Venice to Chicago!

The Best Western in Venice provided everyone with a very substantial complimentary breakfast.


At 7:50 AM we boarded the hotel shuttle for the Marco Polo Airport.  It took only about 5-10 minutes.  I forgot the airport was so close.  At a total of 32 kilograms, our two suitcases were well under the 23 kilogram per suitcase limit.  23 kilograms is about 50 pounds.

9:20 AM:  We caught the Lufthansa flight from Venice to Munich which took about an hour.  I felt a little wistful seeing Venice as we flew overhead.

11:40 AM:  We left Munich for Washington, D.C.  We had to actually RUN for our connecting flight because the HEAVY security in Munich took so long to get through.

The flight from Munich to Washington, D.C.'s Dulles airport took 9 hours 19 minutes!

At Dulles airport, I used my GOES card  at the US Customs and Border Protection lines.  Art got through easily, but I was having a terrible time.  It took me quite a while to realize that because I was too short for the machine, it wasn't able to take my photo to scan for facial recognition.  I finally managed to get through by standing on tip-toes.

And then... BAD news!  My suitcase somehow did not arrive with us from Munich.  They couldn't reassure me that they knew where it was.  They just knew it didn't arrive in Dulles.

Arrrrrghhhh!

Because of all these problems and the too tight flight schedule, we almost missed our flight to Chicago.  The couple we'd talked to in line at Dulles did not make it to Chicago because they were in a slower moving security line.

I was told to make a lost luggage claim when we arrived in Chicago.


Sigh..........


And yet, after all that... seeing the joy on KC's face when we arrived made all the travel weariness disappear.

It was good to be back.

18 comments:

  1. A thought for the more than a hundred young people killed by talibans in Pakistan. We should be shocked by all news when innocent people are killed all over the world and make no difference which is too often the case.
    Regards Inès

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines? Are you our Ines from Barcelona?

      Delete
    2. And yes, it is shocking and sickening.

      Delete
    3. No I'm not from Barcelona I discovered your blog lately. Normally I am not making comments but I was a bit shocked that bloggers never speak about terrorism concerning Afghans; Africans, Pakistanis or all other countries which endure terrorism and war situations every day. You have a nice blog.
      Inès

      Delete
  2. Oh, I knew it! Another lost bag, and fortunately you didn't miss that interminably long flight. What next? It's so wonderful that you got to see KC, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming home is the best part of ant journey. I know you felt at home when you reached Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you brought tears to my eyes. So very sorry about the lost luggage and hope it turned up/turns up. Yes, I would look wistfully after Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that zig-zaggy neon thing at O'Hare. What an exhausting journey. Well, we consider ourselves warned and will probably not attempt a Mediterranean cruise. The Lufthansa strike would have been the final straw for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous: We are hyperaware of these horrible incidents, but we personally can't do much to stop them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been absent for a bit but I have enjoyed catching up tonight with your amazing trip! Some ups, some downs but such an adventure! The last photo made me tear up, she loves her Grand father doesn't she,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes... she really does.

      Thank you, Laurie. I've been away from visiting for a while because we've been working on our photobook album which takes enormous amounts of time and concentration. And then we've had a family crisis that we're also still in the midst of. Add all the holiday things that still need to be done and it's just overwhelming.

      Delete
  8. This was a a rough end to a trip. It's a good thing you're seasoned travelers or it could have been much worse. Arriving in Chicago must have made you feel like you were home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny the last time I was at a Best Western, the "breakfast" was mini doughnuts and coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I recall, you keep some winter clothes there at your daughter's house in Chicago. At least you had those! You and your cousin di have your travel troubles!
    I can just feel the love in the hug from KC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, that last photo......

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a long trip to get to Chicago from Hawaii....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you are back in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oi, this trip gave you enough bad luck to last a lifetime. I'm glad it's over.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.