Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Cherry Blossoms in Illinois

In 2010 we were visiting in Illinois with our granddaughter when the chestnut tree suddenly fell. Thankfully, it fell into the street instead of on the house.

While our daughter and son-in-law were on a cruise, we decided to surprise them by planting a replacement tree. You know how much Art loves to plant trees. KC was three years old then and couldn't wait to help Grandpa.

We decided to plant a Shidare Zakura or Weeping Cherry because we always enjoyed seeing their cascading beauty in Japan.


Tiffany sent these photos to us last week so we could see how beautiful the tree was now. It was still not quite in full bloom, but lovely nonetheless.






KC is 9 years old now and the tree is much, much taller than her.

I wish we could be there to see it in person one of these days, but it's hard to schedule the trip due to it's ephemeral blooming season.

Ah well...

I guess that's what makes it so special.

It sure seems like it wasn't all that long ago when KC was just a baby we could carry her in our arms everywhere we went.

Sigh...

20 comments:

  1. That tree is stunning already! We should all plant more trees. Yes how the years fly by, KC is 9 already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about my twin grand daughters graduating this month from high school then off to college-where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete

  3. What a treasure of a memory for all.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tree - a lovely sight to anticipate each spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely indeed and what a memory she has with her grandpa

    peace.
    Rhapsody
    https://rappingonamelody.blogspot.com
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    https://www.goodreads.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://pinterest.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
    https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix
    https://www.instagram.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
    http://rhapsodyphoenix.tumblr.com/


    “The highest education is that which does not merely give us information, but makes our life in harmony with all existence”-Rabindranath Tagore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weeping cherries are lovely. It certainly has grown!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With her coat the same color, I almost didn't see her

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tree and KC blended in so well I had to go back to find her. Hope someday you are able to catch it in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So the cherry tree and the grand kids grow rapidly. So what of the grandparents?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when you planted that tree. That's amazing, who would have imagined it would be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tree! And yes, time does go by so fast these days... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful tree. I didn't even know KC was there until I read Patti's comment and went back to look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost makes me want to live on the Mainland. Almost, but ain't gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful Tree, and with a beautiful memory attached. That tree belongs to KC and her grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's nothing like blossom time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.