While in Chicago, my son-in-law, Art and granddaughter KC went for a bike ride to a beach near Northwestern University.
You can see the Chicago skyline from the beach. I then noticed those flat concrete blocks that had been painted with what I thought was graffiti at first. But it was more than that.
KC just admired the view over the lake.
When I first moved to Illinois, I kept calling Lake Michigan the ocean.
It's just so huge and there are waves almost like Hawaii!
The beach here was covered with these broken slabs of concrete blocks.
It was obvious that the messages painted on the concrete slabs were done by university students. They were philosophical, funny, political, and very interesting.
There were also a number of marriage proposals. I hope they were accepted.
This one must have been done recently and made me smile. I would love to have stayed longer to read all the messages but it was time to go home.
You can see the Chicago skyline from the beach. I then noticed those flat concrete blocks that had been painted with what I thought was graffiti at first. But it was more than that.
KC just admired the view over the lake.
When I first moved to Illinois, I kept calling Lake Michigan the ocean.
It's just so huge and there are waves almost like Hawaii!
The beach here was covered with these broken slabs of concrete blocks.
It was obvious that the messages painted on the concrete slabs were done by university students. They were philosophical, funny, political, and very interesting.
There were also a number of marriage proposals. I hope they were accepted.
This one must have been done recently and made me smile. I would love to have stayed longer to read all the messages but it was time to go home.






My niece has a home on Lake Michigan. When and if I ever visit, I will ask to go see these painted blocks. How wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI do hear it is huge
ReplyDeleteThey are a grade above graffiti. Still, I think I would prefer to see the naked rocks.
ReplyDeleteCool place and nice picture of your mo`opuna
ReplyDeleteThere's a wall where the cruise ships tie up where the crews have painted ship names since the first ship arrived.. The rocks and cement are called rip-rap.
ReplyDeleteYes, the lakes are as vast as the ocean to the human eye. I have seen and perhaps been in all of the Great Lakes.
ReplyDeleteCertainly not graffiti. Art would be more like it. I spent a third of my life in bicycling distance of Lake Erie. Fascinating.
ReplyDeleteOoh, I love them. It would be such fun to read each one.
ReplyDeletelook lovely
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! I love it when people make plain old rocks into something interesting like this. :-)
ReplyDeleteI think Chicago and the lake Michigan area will be our next travel adventure, since I have never been there. I do like the message rocks.Fun!
ReplyDeleteInteresting to see those blocks on the beach.
ReplyDeleteYou never stop learning stuff when you're in Chicago. It surprised me that they built about a mile out into the water. They hauled in fill on barges to make land for building.
ReplyDeleteso how does the water taste? not salty like our oceans -BB
ReplyDeleteI'm so surprised . . . it does look like the ocean!
ReplyDelete