Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Not Much Aloha for Chicago's Aloha Poke

While we were in Chicago this summer, we saw an article in the paper about a Chicago company copyrighting the name Aloha Poke. They actually forced other shops in Hawaii and Alaska (owned by Hawaiians) to stop using the name because they had copyrighted it for their use only.

So what is poke?

This is from Wikipedia:
Poke (Hawaiian for "to slice" or "cut crosswise into pieces"; sometimes stylized Poké to aid pronunciation) is diced raw fish served as either an appetizer or as a main course and is one of the main dishes of Native Hawaiian cuisine. Traditional forms are aku (an oily tuna) and he'e (octopus). He'e (octopus) poke is usually called by its Japanese name "Tako" Poke, except in places like the island of Ni'ihau where the Hawaiian language is spoken. Increasingly popular ahi poke is generally made with yellow fin tuna. Adaptations may feature raw salmon or various shellfish as a main ingredient served raw with the common "pok(e" seasonings.
Poke was started in Hawaii by Hawaiians and after becoming very popular in the last few years has been adapted into lots of different variations of the same theme.

I've never been a huge fan of it, but my children who were raised in the Midwest (and the rest of the family) LOVE it!

Well....

Now here comes this Chicago company saying shops in Hawaii or anywhere else cannot use the words Aloha Poke.

I didn't know how angry people in Hawaii might be but I found out when I went to the bank and saw our favorite teller. She asked where we'd been and I told her we were in Chicago visiting our daughter. She then asked if we'd heard about the Aloha Poke craziness.

Sigh...

As my son-in-law has told me. It feels rotten, but it is the law. The Chicago company did have the right to copyright the name.

I know. But it's not right. It really isn't.

15 comments:

  1. Copyrighting a name that is already in use seems very wrong. Now I am reminded of Chick-fil-A suing a VT artist for copyright infringement because his tee shirts that said Eat More Kale were too much like their Eat More Beef slogan.

    There is a new poke place here in my town but raw fish and seafood has no appeal to me. I guess we all draw the line somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Olga. If it's a common word, it should not be subject to copyright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems very wrong to me. I think someone should take it to court and see if the law agrees when presented with long-time use by others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always all about the money. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't sound like they should be allowed to use the word 'poke'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is it possible that no one in Hawaii ever trademarked that name earlier? Unbelievable. I'm very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing about this! You continue to teach

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think copyright laws are too general. We should loosen up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad Hawaii can't trademark Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think people in Hawaii never thought they needed to copyright the word Aloha. The word was always freely given.

      Delete
  10. Craziness, imo. Do they think they can own our speech and writing, too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate to say it but capitalism IS all about money. It is not a fair sort of government.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a local place, I think that has something like that. I think it's called Pokenori.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.