Monday, March 25, 2019

Amazon Packing!

I ordered a new 12 quart Calphalon stock pot to make soup, boil peanuts, etc. from Amazon. I hoped it wouldn't come dented. I did buy it because it promised a lifetime guarantee.

The pot arrived several days before promised in a rather large box.

By the time I finally got to the pot which did come in excellent condition, I must say, I'd gone through 4 boxes!


A couple of years ago I ordered a hat and it came in a box also. In fact, it came in two boxes!

It actually makes me feel guilty to know what this must be doing to the environment.

I hope the recycling program is efficient.

Sigh...


21 comments:

  1. I guess there has to be a balance between protecting the item, and the environment. We have lots of paper product recycling here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least cardboard is recyclable. Our grocery store stopped putting out cardboard boxes for the taking, now I have nowhere to get them for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I sent my laptop to my son packed in peanuts and bubble wrap and it got to him just fine. After he did the repair (he's an IT for the Department of Defense) he repacked it exactly the same way. When it arrived the screen was broken and three keys were broken off and a side of the computer was broken off too.I was heartsick. The US postal service did that. They must have thrown it off the truck to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had somewhat similar experiences but not quite to this extent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow i'm not sending my laptop any where, yes the world is filling up with cardboard and plastic. Even buying cooking or crackers etc they are too carefully packed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recycle but I still try to be aware of packaging. It does make me feel guilty when I think about the environmental impact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do a lot of online shopping and recycle. Appreciate it when it arrives unharmed. I once had two bottles of peppermint essential oils that were poorly packaged arrived broken. The post office said it took them a while to get the smell out but they didn't have any mice for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could buy that pot at a brick and mortar store. Then just carry the box it comes in to your car. Lot less packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son and his wife love that brand of cookware. Maybe if the environment wasn't so mean (USPS and FedEx throwing packages,) we wouldn't have to put so much protective packaging around our items. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a wonderful pot. Thanks too for the kind words about my doodles. Here, we have discovered that China no longer wants our recycling. Very frustrating. Very saad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing photos of plastic waste is actually terrifying to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy you received it undented but I agree - they are consuming a lot of boxes for shipping! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  13. We 'live and die' Amazon.... I guess some people can find something to complain about --when it comes to anything these days... We order SO many things online --and luckily, 99% of the time, nothing is damaged or broken....

    Glad you got your pot in good condition.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is amazing - the waste of boxes, though I do make use of them somehow, somewhere, or I recycle. What is even more amazing to me is the free shipping to Hawaii. How do they make money?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try ordering a computer or printer. I was amazed at how much packing there was.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazon seems to change their packaging rules on a regular basis. At Christmas time the out-of-town kids had gifts sent here instead of bringing them in their suitcases. One day I came home and there was an electric tea kettle sitting on the front porch. The shipping label was on the side of the original package box. Since I had the kettle on my list I was pretty sure it was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At least paper can be recycled or burned!! Or composted in gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a bunch of boxes. I hope you have good recycling there. We do reuse Amazon boxes to wrap Christmas gifts. We have a shelf full of them in various sizes in the garage.




































    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazon does a great job of packing their/our products...I LOVE it! Glad you got your items and they were not damaged.

    Have a wonderful week, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is definitely a LOT of boxes! I wonder why they felt the need to package it like that. I do get some things from Amazon that are over-packaged, but nothing like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.