Generations are counted differently in Japan.
Issei are the 1st immigrants to the country and considered the 1st generation.
Nisei are the children of the Issei, the 2nd generation.
Sansei are the 3rd generation. That's Art and me.
Our children are yonsei (4th generation). Our grandchildren are gosei (5th generation).
One of my zumba friends asked us to support an exhibit called the The Hawaii Nikkei Legacy.
I thought they meant Nisei since a lot of what was there centered on the Nisei generation.
I asked mom, who told me that Nikkei means "of Japanese ancestry who live outside Japan."
The minimalist exhibit was in a bare room with poster boards highlighting the experiences and struggles of the Japanese Issei and Nisei in Hawaii and mainland.
There was a small table with artifacts that I was surprised to see I could remember!
I may be sansei, but we used all those things.
It could be because we grew up quite poor on a sugar cane plantation.
I remember my mother having me practice how to write the Japanese alphabet.
I remember those bean bags we made with some kind of Hawaiian seeds. I could juggle three at once.
And yes! Marbles!
My brother was quite good at it. I think I just liked the colors and tried to win those.
Those lunch boxes always had rice and some pickles in them.
My paternal grandmother told me stories of having to work in the sugar cane fields with a baby strapped to her back. She said she often couldn't change the diapers so she had to keep working with that wet diaper on her back.
There were displays of the 100th Battalion and 442nd Regimental Combat Team as well as the MIS (Military Intelligence Service). I have two uncles that served in the 442nd and an uncle that served with the MIS.
When Art and I were in Chicago, we were introduced to a Japanese American jeweler who told us of his experiences with the 100th Battalion. He was one of the group of Japanese American soldiers who had just come back exhausted from a combat mission, but were sent out again immediately to rescue 211 survivors of what is known now as the Lost Battalion (Texas). The 100th/442nd Battalion suffered 800 casualties to save the Texans, but did it all to prove their loyalty to their country despite the fact that their families were behind barbed wires in the states. It was a very sad, shameful time in our history.
There were also posters showing the progress and successes that had been made since then. I believe the aim of the exhibit was to remind everyone of the sacrifices that had to be made in order for the following generations to have a better life.
I found this poster very interesting.
While Hawaii has retained many of the customs and even language of many decades ago when the first immigrants from Japan came, life, language and customs in Japan have evolved separately.
Japanese customs in Hawaii have also joined the Hawaiian melting pot and evolved in its own way.
We were glad we went to see the exhibit and be reminded of what we owe to those brave and determined people whose footsteps we follow.
It's now our duty to do what we can for those who follow us.
Issei are the 1st immigrants to the country and considered the 1st generation.
Nisei are the children of the Issei, the 2nd generation.
Sansei are the 3rd generation. That's Art and me.
Our children are yonsei (4th generation). Our grandchildren are gosei (5th generation).
One of my zumba friends asked us to support an exhibit called the The Hawaii Nikkei Legacy.
I thought they meant Nisei since a lot of what was there centered on the Nisei generation.
I asked mom, who told me that Nikkei means "of Japanese ancestry who live outside Japan."
The minimalist exhibit was in a bare room with poster boards highlighting the experiences and struggles of the Japanese Issei and Nisei in Hawaii and mainland.
There was a small table with artifacts that I was surprised to see I could remember!
I may be sansei, but we used all those things.
It could be because we grew up quite poor on a sugar cane plantation.
I remember my mother having me practice how to write the Japanese alphabet.
I remember those bean bags we made with some kind of Hawaiian seeds. I could juggle three at once.
And yes! Marbles!
My brother was quite good at it. I think I just liked the colors and tried to win those.
Those lunch boxes always had rice and some pickles in them.
My paternal grandmother told me stories of having to work in the sugar cane fields with a baby strapped to her back. She said she often couldn't change the diapers so she had to keep working with that wet diaper on her back.
There were displays of the 100th Battalion and 442nd Regimental Combat Team as well as the MIS (Military Intelligence Service). I have two uncles that served in the 442nd and an uncle that served with the MIS.
When Art and I were in Chicago, we were introduced to a Japanese American jeweler who told us of his experiences with the 100th Battalion. He was one of the group of Japanese American soldiers who had just come back exhausted from a combat mission, but were sent out again immediately to rescue 211 survivors of what is known now as the Lost Battalion (Texas). The 100th/442nd Battalion suffered 800 casualties to save the Texans, but did it all to prove their loyalty to their country despite the fact that their families were behind barbed wires in the states. It was a very sad, shameful time in our history.
There were also posters showing the progress and successes that had been made since then. I believe the aim of the exhibit was to remind everyone of the sacrifices that had to be made in order for the following generations to have a better life.
I found this poster very interesting.
While Hawaii has retained many of the customs and even language of many decades ago when the first immigrants from Japan came, life, language and customs in Japan have evolved separately.
Japanese customs in Hawaii have also joined the Hawaiian melting pot and evolved in its own way.
We were glad we went to see the exhibit and be reminded of what we owe to those brave and determined people whose footsteps we follow.
It's now our duty to do what we can for those who follow us.






Lovely look back at your heritage Kay, minimalist display in the Japanese way.
ReplyDeleteI think it's wonderful that there are places such as this to remind us of our history -- the good and the bad. We all share in the history of immigration to this country in some way or another.
ReplyDeleteFascinating information here, Kay. I knew little to nothing about most of it. Thank you for educating me about it all. :-)
ReplyDeleteThis exhibit looks so interesting. Thank you for sharing somethings about it. I played with marbles, and my grandchildren have, also, but its popularity seems to come and go. Your comments on language are interesting. My husband's family is Hungarian and I have lived in Hungary often enough to speak it as well. People from Hungary usually think the American Hungarians who came after the '56 Revolution speak a very old-fashioned sort of Hungarian.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting!
ReplyDeleteAnything to do with history is interesting to me. Thanks for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful exhibit! How nice you spent time enjoying it along with others!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely fascinating. I need to look up Meiji Era culture. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad times have changed. Both of our countries have a bad past wrt Japanese and internment.
ReplyDeleteSuch an amazing exhibit, such a rich and beautiful heritage, I didn’t know about 1st and 2nd generation differences, that’s really interesting, imagine working in the field with a baby on your back, makes our lives seem so easy now for sure, we have it easy!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize that Japanese American solders fighting for us had family members in internment. Sadly there are so many things we need to hang our heads in shame for. The reparations and apology were a start.
ReplyDeleteThat was so interesting, Kay. I imagine it was fun for you to see toys that you enjoyed in your childhood and the familiar lunchboxes.
ReplyDeleteI have read a lot about the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII and just yesterday read that today’s immigrant detainees are going to again be held in a camp that once held Japanese American prisoners. Have we learned nothing??!!
A very nice exhibit. Looks like it can be easily transported to other islands or exhibit halls.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad trained soldiers while in Fort Sill, Oklahoma during WW2. I read an article last week about the large number of immigrant unaccompanied children now crossing into the U.S. from Central America. The U.S. is trying to figure out where to house them all. As they did briefly in 2014, they've sent some to Fort Sill, OK, because the facilities are still there from internment camps for the Japanese-Americans during WW2! My Dad never mentioned this! I knew there were camps on the west coast and New Mexico. In my 65 years, and during my Oklahoma upbringing, nobody ever said anything about that part of Fort Sill's history!
A previous patient told me there was even a Prisoner of War Camp for German prisoners somewhere in Missouri/Kansas. Those soldiers were treated well because they frequently worked the farms/fields and were fed well, with some coming back to our Midwest after the war.
Must keep the exhibit thriving! You never know when you're educating any age of person that never knew about what really happened.
Linda in Kansas
I never knew there was an actual Internment camp called Honouliuli right here on Oahu very close to where I grew up. By the time I was born and growing up, the camp had been torn down along with its terrible history. I understand there were German soldiers held there too!
DeleteI learned only recently that my uncle by marriage had his father and brother sent there also before they were transported to a camp on the mainland just because he was an editor for a Japanese language newspaper.
My mother's father who was a Buddhist priest knew other priests who ended up also being sent to those camps. I believe a lot of educated people were sent to those camps. My grandfather was not sent to a camp because they'd left to return to Japan years before the war happened. I understand they still had his name on the list for being transported to an Internment camp, however, even though he was only on Molokai to tend to the victims of Hansen's Disease (leprosy) at Kalaupapa.
thanks so much for this post kay! it is very interesting. too bad this country didn't learn their lesson from the japanese internment.
ReplyDeleteThese exhibits help everybody understand where we came from. It's very difficult to keep religion, language and culture when it's not used on a daily basis.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed every minute of this very interesting post, it is awesome! You really put a lot of thought and work into it, as usual.
ReplyDeleteI find it amazingly informative and helpful for anyone wanting to learn something about The Hawaii Nikkei Legacy. Thank you for sharing it. I learned a lot here.
Keep up the good work, Kay!
Wishing you a wonderful Friday!
Those of us that grew up in Eastern Oregon know what that means. While my husband and I are not Japanese, his time as high school principal in Ontario gave up a great perspective on how the Japanese Issei,
ReplyDeleteNisei and Sansei survived and then prospered. The fact that those men did what they did to show that they were honorable and loyal was astounding. My children grew up with the Sanei generation and remain friends. Thank you for this post.
Barbara
I might add that there is a permanent exhibit at the Treasure Vallley community college dedicated to those internment camps and those that were held there. It is amazing.
DeleteI haven't been to one of those camps but I'd definitely like to go to one some day to see what it was like. My uncle's father and oldest brother was sent to one just because he was a newspaper editor for a Japanese language newspaper. My uncle (by marriage) tells me he remembers soldiers with bayonets coming to lead them away even though they hadn't done anything. They were sent to an Internment camp here in Hawaii called Honouliuli and then transported to the mainland. It was terrible! And still my uncle ended up joining the MI6. I can't even begin to grasp what a horror that was!
DeleteWhat an amazing post. I didn't know about this. What a life.
ReplyDeleteA great exhibition !!
ReplyDeleteGood to know about Nikkei and how Nikkei in Hawaii is :)
Thanks Ms Kay.
Have a wonderful week end!
I never understood the marbles game.
ReplyDelete