Monday, December 14, 2020

Christmas?

This isn't a normal holiday season. We didn't get to have family over for Thanksgiving and we're usually visiting our children in Maryland and Illinois around now. Last year we were visiting our son and his family and took a trip to Washington, D.C. to see the Ice Maze at City Center.


Our grandsons loved it. And I have to say it's the first ice maze I've ever walked in.

We then stopped in Illinois for a few days before heading home to Hawaii. 

Missing my children and their spouses, grandchildren and friends who we loved visiting on the mainland and being stuck at home here in Hawaii didn't produce a lot of holiday spirit.


However, our daughter insisted we should put up the tree and carry on.

So we did.

And a funny thing happened.

It actually worked as the memories each ornament invoked nudged our spirits upwards.


Even when mom walks by and looks at the decorations she can't help but smile. I am noticing that there's a lot more Christmas lights as we walk by before the sun comes up in the morning. I have a feeling that everybody is looking for some holiday cheer at this critical time of year.


28 comments:

  1. It is good to make the effort. I wish you a good Christmas despite the lessened circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Santa nesting dolls. Good for you to take on the season in the right spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that the governor of Vermont asked residents to put up lots of lights this year to help lift people's spirits. They seem to have followed suit here in New Hampshire too but then never being here at this time of year I wouldn't know if it's more or less. They're pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My new apartment doesn't have a place for a Christmas tree. The den would be perfect but there is only one plug in and I have a large strip on it and the entire strip is filled. The den used to be a patio and the former owner closed it in but didn't add any new plug ins. The one out there on what was once an outside plug on the patio is all there is. So I gave my Christmas tree to the homeless woman my congregation got a home for at Sycamore Landing. Others of the congregation gave her pieces of furniture for the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a couple of decorations in common -- the reindeer and the nesting dolls. It is a kind of 'fake until you make it' Christmas this year, but it seems to be working to add what cheer we can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tree and your cool little Santa display, Kay! I sure am sorry you won't get to spend time with your kids, I'm sure things will look entirely different next year. I'm glad you didn't let this make you grinchy :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Love your holiday banner at the top too! How'd I miss that??

      Delete
    2. Actually, I just put that banner up. Our neighbors give us a potted poinsettia every year.

      Delete
  7. It's amazing how we think about Christmas in a geological location. I spent Christmas in the Philippines a handful of years ago and found it quite odd to not have snow, cold weather or decorated Christmas trees everywhere I looked. After a bit of time, I started seeing other things like lighted parols, roving bands of carolers, etc. that we never have back home that still made the season even if it wasn't like what I had always had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kay, I should send you a chanukiah (a Chanuka menorah) so you can have candles for 8 days and even more light in your home. Enjoy the holidays at home with Mom and Art! Love ya all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanukkah Sameach, Dina! It's so nice to see you again. I was wondering where you were since you haven't been on your blog in a year. I hope all is going well wherever you are.

      Delete
  9. Yes, that holiday cheer is important in these dark days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really helped to put up our decorations this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spent some Christmases living in Honolulu as a little kid years ago and still remember swimming in the ocean on Christmas Day. Quite a treat for a kid from Seattle. Hope your Christmas spirit thrives, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tree and Santa display looks festive! Gotta Zoom the kids this year, so you can see them next year!
    Your poinsettia header reminds me of one February trip to Hawaii. It was horridly cold in Kansas City, but in Hawaii, on the grounds of our Lahaina, Maui resort, there was a huge outdoor, natural, "always-there" poinsettia bush about 9-foot tall, full of blooms!
    When I was raising my son, I couldn't afford a tree AND his presents. I borrowed a friend's tabletop fake tree and loaded it with lights, for TWO Christmases. (At least there were presents.) Now at 33, the son insists on a real tree in his own house. Interesting how he was ruined, supposedly. I now have a plastic official Charlie Brown Christmas tree...a breeze to set up.
    Remember the good times! Cheers, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots more Christmas lights here, too, and especially the blow-up figure displays. My goodness, where do they get them all?!! We put the tree up early to try to get out of a funk from not being able to spend Christmas as usual — with family. It worked for us, too. Not sure the needles will still be on the tree by the 25th, but it’s done its job already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, everyone seems to need holiday cheer, and I too am enjoying our tiny tree.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We get our cheer where we can this year and just think how amazing next Christmas will be. We will appreciate it so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An ice maze! That sounds amazing. I too was supposed to be somewhere else, and have decorated a little. (but no tree) What I've done is going to be enough for just me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you put up your tree and decorated. I think it's very important that we don't diminish the holidays any more that we are forced to. We have trimmed the house out totally, just like every Christmas, and we a re loving the ambiance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can't see my kids and one is 2 blocks away and the other is about 10 minutes away. it's so sad. this is the first year that i won't have a tree. i just can't do a fake one and i can't go out to get a real one.i did decorate my mantels though. and my front porch. and my patio.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't ever put up a tree, but I do have a few ornaments and whatnot that I add for cheer. This year I've been lax, but you just made me realize that, of any year, this one is an important one to elevate. All my blogging friends are giving me some of their cheer! Sending you lots of hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hot and humid here but our tree will come out of hiding and hopefully be reunited with all its dangly friends by the end of the day. Just have to muster up the energy to retrieve it and the ornaments from the garage. If not today there’s always tomorrow:)

    Maybe (if you don’t do it already) you could always connect via zoom/FaceTime, show off the tree and toast each other that way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like people are finding some good things to do for Christmas under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is as if we are clinging to Christmas as the last toe hold to what was normal. That, and looking forward to a new year which HAS to be better, right?

    ReplyDelete
  23. All the lights going up and coming on have made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The spirit is still the same even we have to celebrate Christmas virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vaccines and a new administration are very close! Best wishes for a wonderful year ahead after all of this trial 🤙🏽

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.