Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Packing OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

My kids think it's hilarious that I start planning what I'm going to pack a month before an overseas trip. They feel that if we're not going to a third world country, I can always buy what I need there. Point taken.

Still... I do obsess over everything that I should bring. I can't help myself.


#1 is a notebook to carry with me whenever we're out and about because let's face it, my memory is NOT good these days.

#2 is my journal into which I write more detailed information at night about what occurred during the day. I use those notes to create photobooks later. Mom looks daily at the photobooks of trips she took with us. We had her write her memories in Japanese so she could read and remember the details for herself. It gives her so much pleasure and as my memories fade, I think it will be the same for me.


Then comes the medication. All the medication I had three years ago for our last trip are now expired which required us to get more. I then packed them separately to save space with the appropriate dosage on each small package. I forgot to do this when we traveled to Turkey a long time ago and it was a good thing we had a pharmacist on our tour group who could advise us as I dispensed meds to some people who didn't bring any.


I have a travel list I use for all my trips that get updated often. I also put my clothing in plastic bags because our suitcases have been checked several times. They leave a little note in your suitcase if they've inspected it. I don't want to seem paranoid, but let's face it. I am. I just don't like the idea of people touching all my things. 

This is an old picture actually. I don't bring my big camera anymore. It's cumbersome and the iPhone photos are good enough.

Oh gosh... and now the clothes. How many blouses, should I bring? How many pants? Raincoat, down coat, fleece jacket? What will the temperatures be like in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland and Germany? Arrrghhh.... Will everybody be crowding around the laundry area on the ship?

Don't mind me... I'm just compulsively obsessing over packing. Arrrghhh!

23 comments:

  1. You are the most organized person I know. That is a wonderful trait - from a person who is the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning makes packing more easy and successful. I never rely on buying things upon arrival in the new place.Your way of dealing with packing is the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are just highly organized and that you learn from a previous trip just what is important. Good idea about the over the counter meds. I'm sure they would be tough to find in another country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too start a packing list weeks before as I think of things to take or do beforehand. Makes the packing easier when the time comes to actually pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an experienced traveler, that’s for sure. I have a traveling list, but now that I travel to Atlanta from Nashville each month I take very little with me – but it does not count as traveling I guess, just commuting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to keep a dedicated travel clothes wardrobe. Most of the items can be easily washed out in a sink and dry quickly. That makes it easy to bring fewer items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got diagnosed with OCD recently and finally my entire life made sense. There are downfalls to it, but we can be hyper attention to detail to the exclusion of other things. This is for matters that are important to us. For me, when it's unimportant to me I really could care less. But my organizational skills are incredible. With any planning it will be planned to the nth degree with contingencies. I planned so many work parties where everyone had fun I was told to be pro party planner. So think of this as your super power and embrace it. That's why you were able to help other travellers who are NOT planners. You got this! Plus for me I love it. Unfortunately I do not have the attitude towards housework :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lists are great . If you want to travel with out little oops's you have to make sure that you have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your approach and subscribe to it myself. Why buy stuff especially in a foreign country? It's HARD to do. I've had to do so in Europe and I've never been able to find exactly what I wanted/needed. So, you are doing the right thing! Those places are chilly so take layers. Wear your warmest coat on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could do like some Scouts: type up a list and make copies. Then you can apply and edit it for each trip. Best to be prepared as much as possible without getting to where you don't enjoy the trip. I always say as we set out on a trip: there's bound to be a "hiccup", we just don't know yet what it will be. But we are smart enough to try and fix or resolve it as much as possible. Hope you have a dandy time! I'm thinking you won't get seasick on a river cruise boat. I always have my prescription filled of scopalomine patches for traveling. I need them when between islands deep sea fishing, or riding in a helicopter. I guess cruise ship docs have them and sell them for a big mark-up, and they aren't cheap anyway. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's more difficult packing at our age, I think. Our kids went to several EU countries for a month, and all they took were backpacks. I have no desire to travel. Life is tough enough here. The kids are off to Turkey and Greece in July. My fingers are crossed for them. (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have travelled enough to know exactly what works for you and there is nothing wrong with organization. I am not as organized as you, but I do start the packing process well in advance and keep lists for sure. I can't do anything under the pressure of a last-minute deadline. I even have a recurring nightmare of packing a suitcase on the morning of the start of a trip which has me waking up in a cold sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep a list for when I travel too. I have to write it down and I keep it on my computer too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lists for everything here - not only traveling. If I want to remember it, I need a list. And your getting things ready ahead of time is a must... for traveling. It's probably one of the reasons we don't travel as much lately - as you age, there's so many things you need that you could do without when younger. But you are an experienced traveler, so you will do fine. Enjoy your trip. My oldest is in Maui right now with his wife... loving the pics he's sending. Oh, and I have journals from all my trips too... where we went, what we did, what we spent, etc. Love going back and reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I take only prescription medications. and a small first aid kit. I like the idea of plastic bags for keeping things from getting too wrinkled. I do roll many of my clothes and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue has had spreadsheets for the cottage etc that she could reuse as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Lin again-how fun to be traveling again-I think our traveling even road trips are over...you are very efficient. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I am not as organized as you, I am organized. I make lists. I try to think of everything we might need. Buying stuff while traveling can be difficult and time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now there is the unpacking. I'm posting a photo or two plus editing the first few photos. I have to relearn My photo program. For 3 days I needed only two pair of pants and three shirts. I admire the two of you no end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is all very wise. I make lists, too.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.