Wednesday, May 18, 2022

The Life of My Lucky Bamboo Plant

We went on a trip to China in May, 2013. There were only about 15 people in our tour because so many people had cancelled due to bird flu. I asked our son what he thought since he's an epidemiologist and he told us that China is such a big country that we should be safe. He did say to stay away from birds. (Ummm... would you believe we actually were briefly in the Wuhan area. 🙄


However, we had a great time and really bonded with the other members in our tour. We hosted the first After-Tour party at our house. One tour friend gave us this beautiful bamboo plant. I actually wrote about it a couple of years ago as that once lush plant began to slowly die away.

I look at the plant whenever I do the dishes. It's no longer really pretty, but I'm just determined to keep it alive.

A few months ago, I was left with this. The stalk on the right was yellowing and eventually turned completely yellow. I was figuring that shoot on the left was attached to the still green and perhaps healthy stalk on the left. Soooo.... I yanked out the yellow one.

"Dracena sanderiana or Lucky Bamboo is one of the most popular house plants in the world because of its fortuitous symbolism. It is used as a luck symbol in Asia due to its rapid growth and easy propagation. The tall columnar growth habit of D. sanderiana is often mistaken for bamboo but is, in fact, more closely related to garden asparagus."  ...The Botanical Journey



Dang! Would you believe it was attached to the yellow, rather dead looking stalk. However, there seemed to be a teeny tiny root attached to those leaves so I just stuck it back in with the green stalk.

I keep looking at the bamboo leaves and wonder how much longer I can keep it alive.

Sigh...

Here's hoping our luck holds as we venture out into the world again.

12 comments:

  1. This is my one and favorite plant. I have almost thirty of them, keep them not in soil, but in water with pebbles. I use only distilled water to water them once in 7-10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking that it will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you keeping that lucky bamboo plant alive that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a bamboo plant for many years but like yours, it eventually died back and sometime after I got married, it disappeared never to be seen again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been abusing two for many years. They sure are tough plants. Mine are in the same pots they came in as small shoots and are now about 2 feet tall and really should be repotted. Mostly all stalk but still has leaves at the top. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best parts about traveling is the wonderful memories we're left with afterward. Hope the bamboo plant survives! I am NO good with indoor plants at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That plant had a good run. You have been reflecting on impermanence lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That plant is no longer happy. Maybe it's the pot. Maybe it's the soil. Maybe it's just tired and wants to quit. Maybe it will thrive again because you will it too. Whatever it's fate, your luck does not depend on it. That you create yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's cute, big and thriving or small and struggling. I usually take the plant out, repot it and have it grow or pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had a bamboo plant. No advice from me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always thought bamboo plants were very hardy. Maybe it needed to be in a bigger pot, required some sort of nourishment having depleted whatever was in the soil. I’ve never had such a plant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is tricky. I'd repot it, personally, with new soil.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.