Art received the following FORWARDED message a while ago and told me I should put it on my blog. Hmmmm.... I don't like to put misinformation on my blog so I checked some (not all) of the facts. He sent those fun facts to his sister and I hope she doesn't pass it on. I put what I checked in red.
Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.
OK... I find this is true with Art and me. He can read much smaller print that me, but yes, I can hear much better than him. But is this true of others? I don't know.
Coca-Cola was originally green.
Nope. Not true. I checked SNOPES and got this:
"The original formula called for caramel to give Coca-Cola its rich brown color, and although the recipe has undergone some changes through the years, none of them affected the ultimate color of the product."
It is impossible to lick your elbow.The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%
The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $16,400
The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour: 61,000
Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
The first novel ever written on a typewriter, Tom Sawyer
It appears this one could be true.
The San Francisco Cable cars are the only Mobile National Monuments.
Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:
(look at the numbers…)
If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle.
If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died because of wounds received in battle.
If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.
Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?
A. Their birthplace
Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name requested?
A. Obsession
Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you
would find the letter 'A'?
A. One thousand
Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers have in common?
A. All were invented by women.
Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?
A. Honey
But what about sugar and salt?
Q. Which day of the year are more collect calls made than any other day of the year?
A. Father's Day
In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes.
When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase . . . 'Goodnight , sleep tight'
It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his new son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.
Today, honeymoon has a positive meaning, but originally it may have referred to the inevitable waning of love like a phase of the moon. In 1552, Richard Huloet wrote:
In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England , when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them 'Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down.' . . .It's where we get the phrase 'mind your P's and Q's'


Thanks for so diligently checking these. I should be careful what I forward, so true. And I did try to lick my elbows!
ReplyDeleteI'm ready for recess! This was good stuff Kay, and I love Snopes. This past weekend someone tried to tell me that the car industry ended the electric rail system in our country by buying up all the cable cars and junking them. I knew that wasn't true... most of them were already bankrupt when cars came along, because of people refusing to cough up more dough to ride, and only paid nickel fares for 20 years.
ReplyDeleteI suspect more of these are true than not. Both the US and Canada and possibly at least one other country have a higher percentage of wilderness. But because of the makeup of African rain forests the have over fifty percent of the world species. Honey is the only food that lasts forever and doesn't spoil. Other foods last for years and some must be properly maintained or stored. Honey doesn't really care. I know the yearly cost of dog ownership is in the three thousand dollar range but I don't do math. Thompson and handcock were the only two to appear on the first printing but whether that leads to the above I don't know. He also designed the great seal ( I raised 2 kids in Virginia where every year includes Revolutionary and Civil War history) as for the numbers what if you are like me and say one hundred and one? Lol
ReplyDeleteThanks for doing all the researching work for us.
ReplyDeleteLin says always some new "fact" to disprove...lol!
ReplyDeleteVery wise. The internet is notorious for spreading misinformation. This is one of the things I monitor comments for.
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, salt doesn't spoil. How could it? It's just a simple mineral.
e16 on your calculator means exponent to the 16th power. Essentially your calculator is telling you to move the decimal point 16 places to the right in order to get the exact answer. They do this to fit the answer to the screen of your calculator.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Declaration of Independence, only two names were on it and those were John Hancock, the president of Congress and Charles Thomson, the secretary of Congress when it was approved and sent to the printers on the evening of July 4th to be reproduced. Most of the other names were added on August 2. Whether or not John Hancock and Charles Thomson actually signed it on the same day it got approved as the final draft by Congress or in the days before the approval is probably lost to time. I read a book a few years back about the fates of those who signed the Declaration of Independence. It isn't reading for the feint of heart.
Wow, some research you did--impressive. This was fun and interesting. Of course if that is true about dogs, Callie is getting a job.
ReplyDeleteI don't read you nearly as often as I should... thanks for the debunking of these myths. Blessings...
ReplyDeleteThese types of "facts" are all over Facebook and I check as many as I can. But it seems like many people don't believe fact checks these days either. :( I think the statue rule is true in Europe (or some countries there at least) but perhaps not here? I remember being told that somewhere, France perhaps.
ReplyDeleteYes! I did try to lick my elbow! Couldn't... but if someone had a long tongue, they possibly could.(ha!)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I did THINK about the elbow thing, but I didn't actually try it. Thanks for all the research you did, Kay. I enjoyed this thoroughly.
ReplyDeleteI ALMOST licked my elbow - but needed 5 more inches of tongue.
ReplyDeleteInteresting stuff. think you're on your way to a PhD!
ReplyDeleteThat's quite a list, all very interesting. Thanks for all the research you did.
ReplyDeleteThat was a lot of research, and a fun way to send a warning that you can't believe everything you get via email. Facts need to be checked, especially when they are important.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for the research you did ...
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
That makes me laugh! Good research. Some believe everything!
ReplyDeleteMy son had to write goals in high school. He wrote down: 'to kiss my elbow.' I signed it and it was submitted. What a hoot.
I'll bet you had fun looking these things up. It's surprising how we got some of the sayings.
ReplyDeleteThank you for an amusing read Kay!
ReplyDeleteI love having Snopes available.
ReplyDeleteI've learned that many times while coming up with fun facts for my blog. As Abraham Lincoln said don't believe everything you read on the internet
ReplyDeleteYes, I tried to lick my elbows -- my tongue wasn't long enough. I'm with you when it comes to checking statements made as though they are facts.
ReplyDeleteI don't do much with any social media.It's way too full of wrong information. (and bad stuff)
ReplyDeleteThat is one interesting list and thank for your research!
ReplyDeleteThat was interesting. And yes, of course, I tried to lick my elbow!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know most of those.
ReplyDeleteI had a friend post something that was so outrageously obviously untrue about the Obamas. I snopes'd it and got the original picture, along with the explanation that it had been photoshopped. I pointed out that it wasn't even true, and sent the link. Her response? 'LOL. I wondered.' I don't understand people. Your examples are fairly harmless, but some of this nonsense can do real damage.
ReplyDeleteI'm not trying the elbow thing.
ReplyDeleteFun original email and good post. You have been quite diligent.
ReplyDelete