Monday, October 17, 2022

What's Your Favorite Chicken Carry-Out?

When I was teaching in Illinois, a friend of mine introduced me to Brown's Chicken's Buffalo wings. The store happened to be a short walking distance from our school so she and I would go and get it once a week (could it have been twice?) for lunch.

Well... my cholesterol jumped. The doctor asked me what I was eating and I said chicken. 

"What part of the chicken?" he asked. 

So I confessed and he said I should stop getting it so often. 

Darn!

So I stopped eating wings. Buuut... I have tried Hardees, Kentucky Fried Chicken, El Pollo Loco, Chick-fil-A, Popeye's, Boston Market, Zippy's Broasted (That's what they used to call it.) Chicken, etc. 

I rarely eat fried chicken anymore. (Scout's Honor) I'm trying to be good. I really am. However, a new chicken franchise came to Hawaii and all our friends tried it. I remember a blogger mentioning Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers but we resisted getting it.

But then.... one night we decided we'd go ahead and buy some for dinner. Geeee... The menu really is just chicken fingers. Even the sandwich just has fried chicken fingers in it. 

Our daughter, Tiffany warned us to eat it with the sauce.

So OK... We were ready. 

Art bought the Caniac Combo which had 6 chicken fingers and then 3 more fingers (as a side order) just in case. 

Although the 3 fingers were a side order, they had another sauce, toast and fries. 

That was a lot of food. The fingers were quite large so 2 a piece was more than enough.

Mom had a finger for lunch the next day and Art made a sandwich with 2 of them since I didn't much care for it.

The drink was so large that we split it between the three of us.

I did make a little green salad to go with it. 

OK... So what did we think?

Mom liked it a lot. She loved that the fingers were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. She liked the sauce too. Let's face it, mom likes carry-out food... any kind of carry-out food. 

Art liked the tenderness and juiciness of the chicken fingers and said the sauce was OK. The problem for Raising Cane's is that they only have one kind of sauce.

You have to remember that I have lost my sense of smell and actually don't have a full sense of taste. Therefore, the chicken was boring and not worth the glucose it would raise in my blood. And the sauce was too mild. That's why I gave Art my chicken finger for his lunch the next day.

Would we go back there again? I don't think so. 

I think the problem for Raising Cane's is going to be their extremely limited menu. It's a chicken finger restaurant. After an initial rush of people trying this new place, we're not seeing a lot of crowds around the store anymore.

I saw online that Raising Cane's is part of the Panda Express Restaurant Group. I thought that was interesting.

Looks like Chick-fil-A will come to Oahu. It's on Maui now. At least they have more sauce options. 

What is your favorite chicken place?

32 comments:

  1. That must have been disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss Chik Fil A here. We're too far north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we need a fried chicken fix we go to the grocery store when it is on special at the deli. The store is a chain grocery but we only like the chicken from one particular store and it is not the one nearest us -- that helps keep it to an occasional treat. We nearly always stop for fried chicken while traveling through South Carolina though because let's face it -- really is a Southern thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't ever eat at fast food places so I know very little about their menu. I'm glad Mom likes them, but it must be a tedious job to cut all those fingers off of poor chickens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was quickly skimming my comments when I woke up this morning, you made me laugh out loud.

      Delete
  5. My favorite is a small hispanic place that makes homemade tortillas fresh daily and used to make fried chicken on the weekends. But they stopped doing it for some reason and now only make the tortillas. The herb blend they used was very unique and tasty. Other than that, our only option is KFC which I do enjoy but rarely eat. Maybe once a year we'll get a bucket of chicken from them. Mostly we just eat the chickens we buy every year from a local farmer who raised them organically. They are more expensive than store bought but the flavor is three times better and you don't end up with a pan full of water when you attempt to cook them like you do with store bought chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chick- fil- A is both my grandson and granddaughter's favorite place. They love the chicken and the sauces. I've never eaten there, so I don't know. My grandson also likes Raising Caine's - but DH doesn't. I haven't tried it. I do like Popeye's... but hardly ever get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like fried chicken at all so I'm not tempted. I don't do Chick fil a because of their political stance but people rave about their chicken sandwiches and fries. (waffle ones?) I'm not much for fast food except that I used to like McD's breakfast sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh... I forgot. I know they are Anti-gay. And wasn't there something else? I can't remember.

      Delete
  8. I find fast food tastes more and more like stale food to me. The chicken is loaded with fat and salt to cover up the dryness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still laughing at Djan's comment. I am really not supposed to eat fried chicken--which I love--so I was grateful when the best place here in town to get it closed down. It was just a grocery store but they had the best since my Daddy's. Fried chicken is still on my last meal menu should I ever end up on death row:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly can't remember the last time I had take out chicken. To be honest, I hate KFC chicken. I'd love to try Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich but there's none around me. I did have a Chik Fil-a sandwich once, several years ago and enjoyed it a lot but I'm with Margaret, I will never eat there again because of their politics. PS I blogged about this several years ago, but I met Ann B Davis who played Alice on The Brady bunch at a Chick-fil-A back in the mid-90s! 🙂♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey.... I remember Alice. Wow! That's so cool that you met her.

      Delete
  11. Hmmm. It's a toss up between Zippy's fried chicken thighs or Times Super Market's salt and vinegar chicken wings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not really one for fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe you could air dry fried chicken, k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has mentioned this to us... Perhaps one of these days. We actually don't eat much fried foods... buuut...

      Delete
  14. I cannot remember the last time we had a carry-out (or take-away as we call them in the UK).
    You have to be so careful how meals are cooked, what additives (if any) are used etc.

    However, younger members of the family do enjoy them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Long ago, decades ago, we ate Kentucky Fried Chicken every so often. Haven't had it in years. Haven't missed it either. I'm not much of a chicken person. A Raising Cane's opened in Fresno not long ago, a drive-thru, and people lined up for hours to get the chicken. Didn't make any sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's a nearby Church's Chicken which I think is good. Their tenders have some meat in them, without the heavy breading from KFC with less meat. But Church's fried okra is just like what I had growing up in Oklahoma. (As mentioned above, as an ally, after I learned that Chick -fil-A was anti-gay about 20 years ago, I've never gone into one.) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rarely eat chicken or chicken take out. we do eat chicken at home but it's not fancied up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked Raising Cane's chicken when it's still hot but inconvenient on this side. Either Milani or Kapolei and I'm gas conscious these days. (V-8 engine). Gotta be in the area. I noticed the old Burger King on Beretania, right across from McD's is gonna be a Chick A Filt as I passed by on Friday. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I’ll stick to Zippy’s if I crave fried chicken. But I can’t remember when I actually had fried chicken anymore.

      Delete
    2. Kay of Musings: Oops! That was me. 😁

      Delete
  19. I can't remember when the last time was that I had commercially made fried chicken. We won't do Chick fill a . In fact the only carry out we have done in all of the pandemic was pizza or Mexican. The pizza is Papa Murphy's take and bake. Both travel well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great subject! I don't know how people live without takeout chicken! We love KFC but only get it about twice a year in consideration of our health. We like Chick-fil-A, and chicken from our Asian restaurant. But mostly we go to a local place called Love Bird. It's really good and not too greasy; plus we like to support local business. Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are not fried chicken folks here. Sometimes we will get a lemon pepper rotissery chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't eat chicken but I do like the fries from Chick-fil-A and the biscuits from Popeyes

    ReplyDelete
  23. We don't have all of those places. The main chicken place in Canada is Swiss Chalet; they serve rotisserie chicken. From what I have heard of Chick-fil-A politics, I would personally try to avoid them were I an American, which I am not. Oh, I just remembered that our town is to get a new KFC. We had one once before, but it left a long time ago. The new outlet will probably be on the highway that runs through town (but on the edge of most of the town).

    ReplyDelete
  24. in two years they reduce the size and raise the prices. i now call them chicken thumbs and don't go ther anymore. frank from arlington, tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those fingers we got were pretty big compared to what we used to see elsewhere though we don't usually get fried chicken fingers at all. But, yes. They are darn pricey. It's nice to meet you, Frank!

      Delete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.