Friday, March 3, 2023

Knowing the Time of Day

We were visiting Art's 95 year old aunt at a retirement home where she is lovingly cared for. She has her daughter, son, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and other family members visiting her every day. She had been living independently until she hit her head when she fell one day. 


When we went to visit auntie the other day, we admired a clock that her son had given her. 

Mom keeps forgetting what day it is. I even gave her a LARGE calendar on which she could cross out the days or write notes to keep track of the things she needed to remember.

Unfortunately, she forgets to cross out the days or write anything and is often confused.



This clock seemed absolutely perfect so we found it on Amazon and  ordered it. It is meant for seniors with signs of forgetfulness. Doesn't the word dementia sound terrible? I don't like to use the word. 

The question now is where to put it.😐

POSTSCRIPT:

Art is saying he rather likes that clock so much, he might get it for us. 🙄 

You know he already wears an Apple Watch that tells him all that not to mention anything else he needs to know.

35 comments:

  1. I like the clock, a very discreet way to help memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking timepiece indeed…..it wouldn’t look out of place in any home.
    For your mum could I suggest getting two - one for her bedside also one for her living area ( if it’s separate from yours)….or one for your living space if she ‘shares’ with you. That way she’ll be constantly reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm with Art! lolol
    I LOVE it! It's just so easy to read...no squinting at my watch or having to grab my IPhone...just simple...
    It's already in my Amazon cart!
    Thanks for the heads up!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Alexa in my den serves that purpose plus all of the other things that she can do. Our other 2 Alexas are just the talking kind, but mine is special. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to get an Apple watch to keep track of the steps that I have done for the day. The clock look cool, the wordings are big definitely suitable for the elderly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a daily journal writer, I'm pretty good with the days. But when we miss a day of school for weather or holiday, I'm usually struggling the rest of the week to keep my day orientation correct!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a clock like that would be handy for just about anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay, the clock reminded me that when I was visiting at my son's place a while back and woke up to see 'the day and time reflected on the ceiling' from a clock they bought from Amazon... I was amazed. I didn't have to find my glasses and check my iPhone to know the time. But I do like that digital clock for the elderly too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm. I like this clock. Sometimes days do seem to run together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the clock too. However, I have two watches that tell me all of that. One that lights up..I wear that one at night. The other just has all that information on it and I wear it in the daytime. This is not Anonymous. This is Margie from Margie's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  11. John bought his mom one of those clocks; it worked for a while but now she's deep enough into dementia that she can't process much information. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to the family for visiting her Every day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a wonderful solution. What a nice thing to hear about such a great family! But that's what we're used to with you. Kay. Hearing about nice people and their families. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. At a certain age we need all the help we can get!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, that is a great clock. The first thing i doo when I wake up every morning is figure out what day of the week it is. So far I can still do that. Knowing the actual date is another matter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it. Our independent living receptionist displays one largely on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice clock for anybody who doesn't wear a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Neat clock but I wouldn't know where to put it. I just bumble along and figure out what day it is eventually. So far, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As you may remember, my husband has been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment. This is a first stage of memory loss. It may or may not lead to dementia. He forgets stuff and asks me the same question once or twice a day. He is on a memory medicine, exercises and we do try to eat healthy mostly. The recent visit to the doctor said that his memory could improve at the stage he is in! We are working on it. He still drives everywhere and has an excellent sense of direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At our age, it's always a worry. I'm grateful that mom can still take care of most things by herself although I have to dispense her medication once I saw that she was forgetting to take them or taking too many. It's scary for me because I find myself forgetting things too.

      Delete
  20. I had commented previously on the clock and mentioned the one my son had that actually displayed the day and time on the ceiling... so you didn't have to check your clock or iPhone when you woke up during the night or in the morning. I liked it as I have to find my glasses to check my iPhone. But the digital one with the large letters would work too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I only get my internal clock messed up if a holiday falls in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got the same type for my mom. She watched TV all day so placed it on her tv. I also put a poster board of family pictures by the TV so that could comfort her. You are in the easy stage , if one could call this part of this heinous disease. Just keep in mind, you have to enter THEIR world, they are no longer in ours. Never argue, change subject, deflect or lie. Especially when they enter the agitation stage. Put alarms on doors when she starts escaping as some do. And when personal hygiene goes out the door. Medical staff was unconcerned when mom stopped bathing, I guess big picture for them. Hospice provided a bed bath. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We realize we're in the early stages, but it's still difficult because it seems like just yesterday when she didn't have any of these problems. We have set up the clock in front of the big screen TV we got her too. It's scary to know it's only going to progress.

      We read about never arguing or trying to remind her of what she's forgotten because the memory is just gone. But that's the hardest part of all. We are constantly trying to remind ourselves not to keep trying to make her remember.

      Thank you for your advice. And yes... gosh... the early stages...
      My father did wander all over the place. My brother worked for the police department so he gave them a photo of my father and the address so if he got lost, they could bring him home.

      Delete
    2. Expect UTIs because they forget to pee, but also they forget to drink water. If she reaches this stage, get clothes she cannot remove, they sell them online, but pricey.. Humbug to change diapers but better than the alternative. Prepare for a wheelchair, easy egress in your home for a wheelchair, location of a hospital bed, adaptive toilet, shower chair, etc. It will depend on how fast or slow she degenerates. A sitter, such as a nurses aid so you and Art can leave the house when you have to. Expect more falls. Mom forgot how to read Japanese, she had hallucinations in the middle of the night. Forget bathroom usage or personal hygiene. All gone. Luckily you have Art to lift and carry. Learn about spending down to qualify for nursing home, luckily mom didn't need a home, dementia took her quickly..I had to learn so much in so little time, when I was so distraught. No one prepared me for this. It was the hardest thing in my life. They revert to being a baby but adult size, they are as helpless as one.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for your advice, BB. It's a scary time. I'm lucky because Art treats her like his own mother. He is also sad at times because he wishes she'd be as capable and brilliant as she once was. Yes, we are now looking into modifying the house for a possible future with a wheelchair. Sooo much to consider...

      Delete
    4. Every brain and the damage that happens is different, but the stages they go through are the same. Alzheimer's Association had classes and materials for this. It can all change in a day. Your mom may live years or like mines quickly pass. She was in hospice for less than 3 weeks before she passed. Prior to that she was kept in a nursing home for 2??? weeks, the maximum they can stay per Kaiser. They need to leave skilled nursing hospital ASAP as dementia is long term illness. They did offer meeting a business rep who handles Medicare application for long term care, the fillings are pretty difficult, but they charge $5k which can be part of the spend down. Amazon offered cheaper wheelchairs than buying locally. I think mom's was only $30. I am so sorry you all are going through this, but better to be prepared than caught like surprise like I was.

      Delete
    5. We were in a ZOOM thing recently and are looking at contractors to make some upgrades to our house for that eventuality. The ZOOM meeting said a year of care home would be more expensive than the home renovation for wheelchair access, etc. Trouble is our house is older and very difficult to renovate where she is staying on the ground floor. So far, mom is doing much better than many people her age. She can walk independently and care for most of her own needs. The memory thing is unnerving though.

      Delete
  23. That does look a good clock.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the clock and love that you are providing that for your mother. I hope it will help her. As you discussed with some of the previous comments, yes, it is so hard and scary and sad when our parents start getting to this stage. I agree with what the others said. It was so hard when my mother asked us where my dad was, not remembering that he has already passed away. It was hard to know how to answer, but at the same time, we sure didn't want to upset her by reminding her that he was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You take care. You will get through this. You are clever, adaptable, smart people. A lovely friend of mine, Kay, told me that she kept trying to remember that this is just one stage of a life. It's not her whole life. And she learned lots caring for her husband with dementia. All the best.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.