Monday, March 13, 2023

Seriously!?!?

We were driving home one day when I spotted this big black truck in front of us in the next lane. On the back window there was a sticker that had me shaking my head.

Is Hawaii under attack? Do we need machine guns here?

I am so tired and fed up with people who feel the need to have assault weapons for everybody.

For some reason, it doesn't bother them to hear of all the mass shootings that seem to be common place in America.

I've read that here in the U.S. we have  120.5 civilian firearms per 100 people!

This is crazy.

Absolutely crazy!

POSTSCRIPT:


What a coincidence! This was yesterday's newspaper poll numbers in this morning's Star Advertiser.

40 comments:

  1. We in the UK cannot understand US gun law. Yes, it is every citizen's right to defend him/herself, but with a semi-automatic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Margie and I couldn't agree with jabblog more! The lack of gun laws in America is what drives the killing. Some people are too unstable to own a gun. When one reads the second amendment closely and in context, they should realize it was written in a day where there were no police and no army..Citizens were supposed to defend themselves from the Natives and the British.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your northern neighbours don’t seem to have this obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...I really try to stay away from post like this but...
    My husband and I are both Legal Conceal Carry licensed holders. We are in our 70's. We have concealed carried for over 15 years without ever having fired a shot. 95% of Honest carriers are the same.
    Gun laws are only for the Honest licensed People in America. Think about what I just said...only for the Honest licensed people. The DIShonest people will find a gun No Matter How Many laws are invented...which only apply to Honest gun license holders because We follow the rules...If you'll notice, Democrat governed states have far more shootings, killings than Republican states. There's a reason for that...A Dishonest gun carrier tries to shoot me, I shoot Back! Democrat state Dishonest shooters? No one can defend themselves or others because of all the restrictions placed on them! We need More freedom, Not less!
    Understand the weapon you refer to in future comments...A Semi-automatic fires one shot with each pull of the trigger...An Automatic fires a round of bullets as you pull and hold the trigger, non-stop until the clip is empty.
    Hubby and I each own a Semi-automatic Glock. I carry in my purse and he carries on his belt, out of sight.
    Knives...baseball bats, tire irons...hammers...come on!
    It's the PEOPLE that Kill People...not a weapon! Yes, the laws need to be enforced for the mentally ill...but Who's Doing it? Doctors FAIL to report their patients...and Patients get guns regardless of the law.
    So, think long and hard about it...Lets say your child is in the sights of a shooter and You have the ability to stop him...Do You have the ability? Are YOU armed? Or do you do as this administration suggest and try to "reason" with the shooter? Or just lay there and let him rape you so you can keep your life???
    I Don't Think So...
    I was going to say Sorry if I offended anyone but...I won't. Because I'm not.
    When I don't understand something, I Educate myself on the subject...
    Respectfully
    Donna in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna,
      Could you please post the statistics that prove that Democratic states have more more shootings? I can't seem to find them online. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Bobi…I’ve tried to find new stats that haven’t been scewed by liberal policies…it’s media, in these times, are difficult, at best, to find fair and honest reporting. All mainstream media tries to influence people into believing everyone who voted Trump, are crazy…period. So, I could post numbers but others would disagree with where I got my information from…they don’t realize we had no choice. Hubby and I wanted Cruz…

      Delete
    3. And arguments like Linda Reeder’s comment below, are silly…What about people with knives, Linda? This is why Liberal and Conservatives should forget about even being able to Blog together…someone Always has to be unkind…I’m done.
      Donna

      Delete
    4. I liked Ed's last paragraph too. I have a brother in law and a couple of cousins who have guns all legally owned. However we have waaay too many guns in this country and I don't believe we NEED assault type weapons for everybody where they can be bought illegally at gun shows.

      I do thank you, Donna for your thoughts on this. I think we all have to keep talking and listening to each other.

      Delete
    5. The most populated states have the most gun shootings and these are both conservative and liberal state. We own hunting guns and do not begrudge someone from concealed carry, but I want background checks, punishment if they do not lock them away and a grandchild shoots another grandchild has happened recently, and a ban on weapons that have large capacity.

      Delete
  5. First of all, that DEFEND HAWAII truck sticker is vulgar. Secondly, I agree with jablong, Marge & Anvilcloud I'll never get it either. I think gun ownership by private citizens is wrong. Wouldn't a nice Tase gun do instead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My take is that the sticker is more of a lifestyle thing than actually saying they have an assault rifle and need it to defend your state. Kind of like why people bought Ralph Lauren shirts back in the day. They didn't own a horse and a polo mallet.

    As I am with most subjects, I'm stuck in the middle on this one. I think parenting, or the lack of, is the cause of mass shootings and not our gun laws or ability to buy guns. We Americans just plop our kids in front of video game consoles with first person shooter games all day and think that it won't have any effect on our children. Parenting has become the responsibility of the school and not the parents. Until we focus on societal change on how we raise our children, I don't think we can expect societal problems to change even if we melt down every single gun in our nation.

    But until then, I see no reason why we can't limit the types of guns available to everyone and implement national background checks across the board. I never understood why republicans are adamantly for tighter voter registration requirements but not firearm registration requirements for purchasing them when both are fundamental rights guaranteed by the constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna in Texas knows all the gun owner arguments - guns don't kill people, people do. Yes, people WITH GUNS!.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about the shooters who got a hold of their parents guns and killed people? I believe at least one school shooter did. Joyce in FL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I'd weigh in supporting your observation, Kay. I will second Ed's last paragraph as making a very good point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I didn't come up with that line of reasoning. I think I saw John Stewart use it and was struck by how powerfully right he was.

      Delete
  10. Crazy! Yes. Keep your sanity. That's the most important thing we can do. Hold the Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Follow the money. The manufacturers fight restrictions and want to sell to everyone. Here on the mainland in Texas a three-year-old accidentally shot and killed their 4-year-old sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stupidity seems to be the norm nowadays. Very sad state of our islands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My only thought when I read the sticker was... 'defend Hawaii from what?'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sigh. Some people will never change their beliefs, no matter the truth of the matter. Republican states have more gun violence and deaths than Blue ones. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate how they says stupid things like rocks can kill too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'defend Hawaii from what?'

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kay, I looked it up and found this article online. https://www.honolulumagazine.com/what-is-defend-hawaii/
    It’s controversial (the slogan with the rifle logo) with locals here in Hawaii, but the company has many other designs and they explain that they meant it as defending our Hawaiian culture. Their newer logos are much better . Here is their website: https://defendhawaii.com/

    Izsmom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I just looked at the article. They're saying it means to Defend the Aloha Spirit?!? Are they nuts?

      Delete
  18. This issue defies all logic and is completely irrational. the prediction on this issue is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate guns and what they do to our society and the cultish obsession with them is disgusting, especially after all the mass shootings. We are supposed to have a "well-regulated militia." Well-regulated means lots of rules!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see no one here actually "read the amendment" and the culture in which it was written. And this is Margie...not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How on earth do I get out of being called "Anonymous"? On other blogs I visit, I am called "Margie" but this one will not accept my real name.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't "sign in: as Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  23. So how do I get "Margie" my real name on here instead of "Anonymous"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: I wish I could tell you Margie. I know that when I use my phone or my iPad, I can’t get out of Anonymous. If I use my MacBook or my desktop computer, I’m fine. It’s the weirdest thing and I don’t know how to change it.

      Delete
  24. Your post made me say that too: Seriously???

    ReplyDelete
  25. For all the arguments of the NRA and their ilk about "all it takes to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", what's stopping the good guy from having one really bad day?

    ReplyDelete
  26. These conspiracy theories about the end of civilisation sure drive people. Who needs these types of weapons? Even the police have trouble defending against those with guns.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Defend Hawaii isnt a local malitia group...its been a "logo" for many years.
    Its a business that supports hwn lifestyle.
    Try googling and reasearching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaiian lifestyle with an assault rifle?!? That's aloha? I did look it up.

      Delete
    2. This is a company that is over a decade old
      Not saying its right or wrong.
      But its their marketing.
      It just hits home perhaps bc it says hawaii.

      Putting it in the spotlight
      Gives it more publicity
      Hence their point is done.
      Everyone has a perspective..
      No judgement




      Delete
    3. Kay of Musings: One of my cousins just told me about the founders of Defend Hawai’i who were indicted for racketeering, etc.
      https://www.ilind.net/2022/03/17/defend-hawaii-owner-pleads-guilty-in-miske-racketeering-case/
      Not the most model of citizens.

      Delete
  28. We need licence to possess gun here.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.