Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Staying Safe

I don't know if you've already seen this on CBS News, but I thought it was interesting. I was wondering about getting the flu, RSV and COVID that are now available this fall. 

I've had this weird thing twice now where I've gotten that plugged ear feeling followed by vertigo in 2021 (after flu shot in October) and this year (after COVID bi-valent in May).

I've had several friends who took the flu and RSV together and then the COVID a week later. They were absolutely fine. I thought I'd do the same thing but decided to ask my primary doctor just in case.

He said juuuust in case, I might want to skip the RSV this time (since I haven't had much of a respiratory problem) just because of that possible past history with the plugged ears and vertigo. OK. I had the flu shot last Friday and I'm fine so far. I'll get the COVID next week and keep my fingers crossed. There's a LOT  of COVID walking around right now according to friends and relatives.

Then I saw this CBS News article which I thought was very interesting. 

"Some people are saying, 'Well, could I get RSV, COVID and the flu vaccine on the same day?' Yes, indeed, you could. But honestly, I might not," said Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. 

Instead, he said he intended to get the COVID shot right away and the flu shot in early October.

Marks, who was speaking during a recent call with FDA stakeholders, stressed that he did not disagree with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which allows giving multiple different routine shots during the same visit. Doctors refer to this as "coadministration" or "simultaneous administration" of vaccines.

However, he acknowledged that getting up to three of the different vaccines at the same time could lead to more side effects — like stronger fatigue or a small fever — in the days after getting the shots. 

 Spacing out the shots by around two weeks could "minimize the chance of interactions, and minimize confusing side effects from one with another," he said. They might be a good option for people who did not mind multiple trips to the pharmacy or their doctor's office."

Luckily, we live quite close to the CVS pharmacy. Not everyone has that luxury. I recently asked my brother and another friend about the RSV vaccine and was told they absolutely intended to get the RSV just because they've had a lot of respiratory, allergy, asthmatic, etc. problems in past.

Stay safe everyone.

21 comments:

  1. Sue was going to visit a friend in a seniors' residence today, but she can't due to colds and covid. They're having quite an outbreak, and visitors aren't allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm due for the flu shot, but since I've just had a mild case of Covid the doctor told me I can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like our lives are full of new shots to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flu shots scheduled for Monday and Covid for end of October. Didn't even consider the RSV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have much of an issue with flu shots other than a sore arm for a day but the last covid shot kind of laid me low for the evening and part of the following day. But I still plan on getting both at the same time when they are available here. Thus far, only the flu shot is available. I have never taken the RSV shot yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is the time to get shots. In Canada also, they said we can get all of them together. But, the Covid vaccine is not available yet

    ReplyDelete
  7. RSV is terrible. My older daughter and oldest grandson got it when they lived in New York and it was frightening. I got the RSV and flu together and wouldn't do it again. RSV made my arm sore for quite a while, but I was extremely fatigued the night after the shots. No other symptoms though. I'm planning on the latest Covid in late October so I'll be at prime immunity for the holidays. Plus I had Covid at the end of August anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?!?! Oh gosh! I've read that the states most hit with RSV are:
      Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

      I'm hoping Hawaii will be OK for a while. If I see an uptick in cases, I will probably go and get it.

      Delete
  8. I went to a local pharmacy here yesterday that is offering the new Covid vaccine, along with the RSV and flu shots. I got only the Covid, but hubby got both Covid and flu and is a bit under the weather today. He got RSV last week with no problems. I just don't see any reason to subject my body to all that stuff all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DH and I got the flu shot last week (no reaction - not even a sore arm). We plan to get the Covid vaccine tomorrow (expecting a sore arm and possible down for a day). We would have waited for both for another month - but getting together with family in October and want the immunity protection activated before that. Jury still out on the RSV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lin Floyd says it difficult to know just what to do but wonderful to have all the options available...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep forgetting to make a Covid and RSV appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow thanks for this timely info. I know I reacted badly the first time I got the covid shot. It was just feeling tired and just a wee bit achy. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either for a few days. The subsequent shots there were no ill effects. But since you put this out I too will take a covid first and then take the flu shot. I too am lucky to live near a lot of PHARMACIES so it's no problem for me. I appreciate this Timely info.-BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends have told me that they were perfectly fine with the COVID and that it didn't hurt. They're just trying to reassure me because they know I'm gutless. I've signed both Art and me to get it next week and Longs.

      Delete
  13. This gets more complicated all the time. There are too many options. I've not had side effects but for people who have side effects it's important to get things right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I already planned to ask my primary care doctor and my cardiologist next week about taking the new vaccines. I am allergic to the flu vaccine... so we thought it best to check with them before scheduling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that it's doubly important for Tim to get all those vaccines this month. I think his treatments are going to affect is normally strong immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If there is any kind of respiratory infection around, I will catch it. I will be listening to my doctor on this issue. I am also going to get the flu and shingles shot. Not at the same time though but then I will ask my doctor about that too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are really limiting our trips out. JB has to balance out his COVID shots with his cancer treatments. I think it makes sense to parse them out. You body is building antibodies for several things at once, and it doesn't seem to be good to deal with it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll see about my next covid shot after the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.