Day #4 was an early start. We wanted to see if we could possibly get 2 coats of the Cover Stain primer applied.
We'd already painted the grooves between the redwood panels the previous day so Art quickly rolled on the first coat of primer.
The Cover Stain primer is oil based which is no fun to clean off. We didn't have mineral spirits to clean our hands the day before so Art told me to just use the charcoal lighter fluid. 😳 Really?!? I didn't like that idea at all but since that's all we had, I did it.
I looked online later that night and saw recommendations to use any kind of salad oil and dishwashing liquid. It didn't come off as easily, but I felt a LOT safer using that.
We were happily able to get the 2nd coat of the oil based Cover Stain applied just before dinner time.
Sigh...
Mike arrived to fill in the hole for the shower drain.
Another demolition worker came in the afternoon and removed all the old linoleum tile.
Day 6 would have Ed returning to install the tile and shower panels.
Fingers crossed it goes well.
I've crossed them 🤞
ReplyDeleteI’ve used gas to clean my hands of oil paint before.
ReplyDeleteOil paint is the devil to get off. My late husband used gas too; I hated the smell and I'm sure it wasn't good for his hands. Hope it goes well too! SO stressful!
ReplyDeleteI wear gloves when I paint large areas. There is a product called Scrubby that is a sponge with soap that cleans brushes, hands, everything for paint, clay, glaze, etc. I like it when I paint on my ceramics and it feels good - not filled with chemicals.
ReplyDeleteI am impressed that your contractor is so on time! Usually jobs like this take days of delay.
Nope. This project was agreed upon last year and told it would take a little over two weeks. It's probably going to be a month and a half to 2 months with all the repairs and changes that had to be done.
DeleteIt will soon be a distant memory and you will enjoy the results.
DeleteIt's amazing what gets covered up when all the finishes are in.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of charcoal lighter fluid for this purpose before. That would scare me too. I am envious of your redo. I've been wanting to do ours for a long time. Maybe if I showed my dear your post it might sow a seed, wink! Sadly, it comes down to priorities. They need to go elsewhere right now but I shall look forward to seeing your bathroom finished and will bookmark it for whenever. Have a great weekend Kay, I hope you will be able to take some time off from this project.
ReplyDeleteThings don't often go this well with renovations. You are very well organized.
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: It has had a TON of downs which I’ll be writing about in the next few posts.
DeleteIt's such a grind, isn't it!
ReplyDeleteExciting...can't wait to see the final result.
ReplyDeleteJust caught up with your previous posts!
ReplyDeleteI think you are doing well.
All the best Jan
The hardest part is now, I hope, behind you. And may all go well from here forward.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, it gets worse before it starts to get better. This was only the very beginning. Sigh...
DeleteWhen we were putting a coat of tar on the outside of the basement wall, we cleaned our hands with gasoline.
ReplyDeleteGood work on all this. I cannot imagine.
ReplyDelete