Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Handi-Van for Mom

Whenever Art takes mom to the day care center which mom always calls "The Senior Club" we have often seen the Handi-Van dropping off riders there.

With Art having just celebrated his 80th birthday, I really felt we should look into those Handi-Van services. 


The Handi-Van is a public transit service for persons with disabilities who are not able to use the City's bus service.  I figured mom's dementia was a disability and she certainly can't use the regular city bus by herself.

We took her in for an interview and she easily passed the test to qualify for the service. 


I wondered how she could carry her HOLO card to identify and pay for the bus. I found this lanyard on Amazon that would help. She could just wear it and show it to the driver. You can also add on an Apple tag just in case something should go wrong.

I read the instruction booklet that was sent to me and saw that she was also required to carry payment for the driver in case her card did not work. Darn! I can't give her money to carry.

Reading further, I discovered you can buy paper tickets. I could stick that in her lanyard too. We took a trip to the Transit Pass Office and bought some tickets. We just bought a few since we didn't know if the Handi-Van option would work for sure.

OK... I guess we're all set to try this out. I'm allowed to go on the bus with her for free to test it out. But Art would have to pick me up. 

I mentioned this all to mom and she says she's perfectly content to go on the (Handi-Van) bus. This is something she is very familiar with since she rode the city bus early in the morning and late at night to and from the Japanese language newspaper where she worked decades ago. She's thrilled that this bus will pick her up at our home and take her to her "Senior Club." 

Finger crossed that this works. 🤞

29 comments:

  1. That sounds like the ideal solution for your mother and she will probably enjoy that little bit of independence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great service. I hope it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo. Keep us posted, this sounds promising.

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good plan. Of course, you'd have to make sure the Senior Club staff know to get her ON the bus! I bet she'll adapt fast with that bus-riding history. Just hope she doesn't get off on a stop for the Japanese newspaper! Can you and Art use it for your own doc appointments? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom can’t adapt to anything because she forgets in seconds. It’s gotten more and more difficult.
      The bus driver will know where she has to get off. The day care will also be notified ahead of time.
      Art and I wouldn’t qualify to use the Handi-Van because we are not so handicapped that we can’t use the regular City Bus.

      Delete
  5. We have a similar bus though there is no ID or any requirements for that matter necessary. The catch is we have to call in advance to arrange the time of pickup at both ends and since there is only one bus, it is first come first serve and not always available. My MIL uses it when we are both gone and she needs to go somewhere important. I think ours cost $3/ride but I can prepay on the phone with a credit card when arranging the ride before hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to call in advance and place an order for time, place of pick-up and drop off. The HOLO card is used for payment which I can do online. Our rides are $2.25.

      Delete
  6. That's a great service although it sounds complicated to set it up. Now that it is, it will be excellent for your mom and you two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like letting our child out into the world, isn't it? And just like our children who do well when allowed their freedom, so will your mother. This activity may reconnect some old memories and ways of doing things and she will get into the habit and do well. I'm assuming you talked to her doctor about getting this service? I don't understand why she can't have money. Will she run off to a casino and gamble it all away? 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: She is extremely, extremely forgetful now. The dementia is worsening. I can’t trust her to carry money. She’d forget where it is and drivers are not allowed to look at their belongings. I just labeled the ticket and put it in the back pocket of the lanyard. I’ll notify the Day Care about where things are located when they help her on the bus. It’s so bad now that when we told her she didn’t need a sweater, she told us that she did because it’s chilly when she naps on the floor at the day care. They do not nap on the floor. They do doze, but it’s at their seat if they do. I know because I went to see their operation before I signed her up for it. She also told us she needed new slippers because they have to take them off before entering her “Senior Club.” They NEVER remove their footwear. Sigh… And on and on it goes. It’s even sadder because I used to compare it to taking care of your children, but I think it’s even more challenging in so many ways. But the worry is the same.

      Delete
  8. It will work out! The only downside is that sometimes you have to wait for the Handivan to arrive. And if the Day Care stays with her until they come, you can feel assured that she will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like Mom is excited about going on the bus, and that will be a big positive in making this work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will bring back good memories for her when she rode before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the Van. Their pickup service is atrocious for at least 20 years now and I don't see any big improvements. From dialysis patient waiting for hours and feeling horrid after effects but no choice. At my senior apartment our blind resident was dropped off at a strange bus stop with no explanation with 2 others. She was on the front page last year of the newspaper making complaints. Look it up.After that the mayor said he was adding more busses to the aging fleet. One resident here waited over 2 hours. I felt so bad for her. Hopefully it is better with more busses as I also notice the residents getting picked up on time. The drivers are really kind and helpful. I hope never to have to depend on them though. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh noooo... I've heard those stories but a friend of mine has told me that it's worked OK for them so I am hopeful. I wonder how long I should give them before taking her ourselves.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a good move for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope this works perfectly. I have changed counties now, worse luck. My old county had SCAT busses for seniors. Summit County Area Transit. My new county turns out to be very backward. No senior transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Art is 80???!!!! Good grief. I'd have never thunk it! But yes, we have those vans here as well, and they are a godsend to those who need them. Your mom is so social, she'd probably enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sure do hope it works. It looks like a great service. We have something similar here in Bellingham.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love your Mom! I am sure this will work out very well. Please, give your Mom my very best wishes from Georgia! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once the bus driver and day care workers are attentive, this should be fine. Does the driver help mom get off the bus? Will folks meet her at the door? I can see why you're concerned because you don't know if this is a routine that may actually work. I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: I should think the driver could help her if needed, but I’d be there anyway to help her when they pick her up at our house. The day care workers have assured me that they deal with this all the time and can make sure it all works out to greet her and help her board the Handi-Van to return home.

      Delete
  18. Oh dear! So many concerns. Might want to consider a bracelet with her name and your number on it. I saw a thing online where you can get temporary tatoos, tape I guess, of a name and number. They were promoting here to put on kids when a family went to one of our big parades, in case the kids got separated. Of course, we don't want her to feel like the holocaust either. Good luck! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhh... She wasn't happy when she saw I got my ears pierced because it would probably have hit an acupuncture point. And in Japan it's the Japanese mafia (yakuza) that get tatoos. LOL!

      Delete
  19. we have similar services here in our town. they will take you most places, doctor appointments, dentist...even the hair salon!! maybe mom will make new friends on the bus as well as in the care facility!! ps...i like how you have our state next to our name in your sidebar, that's so nice to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish you all the best with this program. I'm sure it will work out well. So many places are doing this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.