Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Retiring With a Water Cannon

When we left for Chicago in July, we were part of a retirement ceremony for a United Airlines pilot who had been flying for 40 years. There were lovely little speeches by several people in the waiting area just before we boarded our flight.


It reminded me of the time when my cousin, Arnold retired from Hawaiian Airlines about 10 years ago. My aunt and his sister, Joan were alive then. Auntie Grace was mom's younger sister. Mom still thinks about her and has a hard time accepting that she's gone. I can't believe my cousin, Joan is also gone. She passed away about a month before her mom. It was a very sad time.

However, Arnold's retirement party was a very, very happy time to remember as we all celebrated this special day with all his friends, family and co-workers.

I'm pretty sure a water cannon was mentioned at the time, but I really didn't have a good idea what that must be like. 

Therefore, when we were told we'd be greeted with a water cannon at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, I was really curious and excited.


I got this photo online on reddit of another Hawaiian Airlines retirement.


When we touched down in Chicago, it was announced that the Chicago Fire Department would be doing the water cannon for our United Airlines pilot. I was sorry I didn't have a window seat but Art got this photo from across the aisle.

I'm glad cousin Arnold got to enjoy this fun retirement celebration from his seat in the cockpit so long ago.


15 comments:

  1. The water canon must be quite a blast, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea, though I thought at first that the pilot was going to be sprayed. That would have been hard to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you were able to experience the water cannon salute for the pilot's retirement and that it brought back such nice memories of your cousin's retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my something new to learn today. Retirement with water cannon. My younger daughter (YD) officially retires on November 10th. But. Um. November in Canada, we would probably have sleet instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like fun. I cannot imagine 40 years...

    ReplyDelete
  6. the water cannon looks like when they deice planes in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a cool tradition! I find it poignant to see photos of people who have died. I get quite weepy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your family members look so lovely, cute and handsome! Nice memories even of those who are gone. That's a cool tradition. I can't remember if you mentioned it before for your cousin, or if I've seen it elsewhere. I thought it was just a Hawaiian pilot tradition. Chicago too, eh? That's a fast wash up of the plane! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arnold just told me they stopped it at Hawaiian Airlines because there were too many pilots retiring and they'd have to do one everyday. I'm sure he was joking. His water cannon was in California apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of such a send off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of a water cannon, but it reminded me of when they spray a plane to de-ice it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great tradition to follow! And thanks to Art for the fun picture.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.