Friday, October 4, 2024

Baking Soda in Lemonade? Really?

We do have a Myer (Hawaiian type) lemon tree that does produce quite a bit of lemons. We don't use it much. It was planted because (believe it or not) mom felt she needed to rinse her hair with a little lemon juice to keep her hair healthy. Well, what can I say? She still has a lot of hair so what the heck? 

Anyway, as it turned out, my brother loves to make lemonade for his family and he required a lot of lemons so whenever there were a lot ripening, he got to take them home.

Well... He told me a long time ago that he adds a little baking soda into his lemonade to take away the acid. He did also caution me that putting too much baking soda could add too much sodium to your diet. 

He and my sister in law went on a long trip last month so with ripening lemons, I thought I'd try making lemonade using a little baking soda.


But how much? I wanted to make a jug full. I found this recipe online, but 2 mainland lemons are very different from our Hawaiian Meyer lemons which are very big and juicy. 

And I didn't want just a glass. I wanted to make a jug full if I was going through all this trouble.


OK. I got 4 Meyer lemons and got 2 cups of juice.


I added 4 cups of water, 3 Tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of baking soda after much trial and error. 

Art had to be the taster since I've lost most of my sense of taste. 😕



Wow! When I added that baking soda, it was almost like it was going to blow the lid off the bottle! 😱 It bubbled up like crazy.

I got this explanation online:
The acid in the lemon juice reacts with the base in the baking soda to create carbon dioxide gas.
And this is supposed to take that bite off the lemonade. Well, Art felt the juice was still a bit strong so I added 2 more cups of water to the lemonade which he pronounced OK.

Well... I think it needs more sugar... but I bow to his taste buds.

18 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of that either, but am not familiar with Meyer lemons. I like lemonade but only in the hot weather and it tends to dry out my mouth so I don't feel like it quenches my thirst as well as water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make lemonade but like fresh lemon slices in my cups of hot water. I don't drink coffee and rarely have tea, and then it's Earl Grey with lemon.
    Your lemonade sounds delicious, but how sad that you can't taste much of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a struggling little Meyers lemon sapling but it produced lots of flowers this week! I want to plant a lime tree because I use limes more than lemons to make the Thai dipping sauce that I put on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I actually love the bite of lemonade. I may have to try it just to taste the difference and see if it makes me like it more or less.

    We don't often make fresh squeezed lemonade as we have to buys our lemons from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of using baking soda in lemonade before, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay, you come up with so many things I've never heard of... baking soda in lemonade? (makes sense since I'm not supposed to drink acidic things) - but not sure I would like it. We do put lemons in our sweet tea( and mint)... and it IS sweet (but I half it with water). Everyone loves DH's sweet tea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of lemonade but I do love a lot of things you can make/bale with lemons and adding lemon zest makes so many things taste brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to add baking soda to spaghetti sauce to cut the tomato acid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fun creating something as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When life hands you lemons, eh? :-). /AC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you! I make my own iced tea with black tea and fill the jar everyday

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delightful story about your Meyer lemon tree! It’s amazing how a simple desire for healthy hair led to such a fruitful tree. I love that your brother is keeping the lemonade tradition alive—there’s nothing quite like fresh lemonade, especially with those big, juicy lemons! Your experimentation with baking soda sounds interesting; it’s such a clever way to balance the acidity. For a jug full, I’d say starting with about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and adjusting to taste is a good idea, but definitely keep an eye on the sodium levels! Can’t wait to hear how your lemonade turns out! Wishing you a fantastic weekend! I'd love for you to check out my new post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/10/my-visit-to-hunterian-art-gallery-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm actually a big believer in baking soda. I often use it as a mouthwash of sorts. While I use other kinds to kill bacteria the reason the bacteria actually the case your teeth is because they basically secrete an acid after they eat sugar and whatever. So I use the baking soda to neutralize that acid

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a lovely science experiment. Those ARE huge lemons. LOVE how you put the expire date on the side of the box where it can be seen. I wonder if you'd notice if you used less sugar. Are the Meyer lemons sweeter than brand X regular lemons? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting!! I have never tried baking soda with lemonade, but I use a combination of it with vinegar to clean hard to reach places. it bubbles madly and softens up whatever is jammed in. I guess that waiting till the bubbling stops would mean that this would not happen in your stomach.
    Hmm. Feeling wistful about your lemon description. Here in Canada we get what is imported. Usually Israel, and not very juicy. Florida is better but hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing is easy, is it? So sorry about your sense of taste. What a pain. At least you are healthy otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.