Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Glucose Lowering Discovery

I'd been noticing the bottom of my toes were feeling a bit numb. 😳 A friend of mine told me how her brother developed diabetic neuropathy. Ack! 

I got this from the Johns Hopkins website:    

Diabetic polyneuropathy (DPN) affects multiple peripheral sensory and motor nerves that branch out from the spinal cord into the arms, hands, legs and feet. Typically, the longest nerves — those that extend from the spine to the feet — are affected the most.
I know that my fasting glucose levels had been rising in the last few years along with my A1c which is the average of 3 months of glucose measurements.

I went to see a substitute doctor because my regular doctor was not available. She did tests on my feet and fingers and told me I need to take diabetes seriously. 


OK... I realize my breakfast cereals were not the best. My nurse friend, Terry suggested I do overnight oats which she preferred. Oatmeal is OK... but I was rather liking the crunch (and OK...) sweetness of my morning cereal. 

Hooowever... I was willing to give it a try. I experimented a bit and came up with 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned oatmeal, 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and some little cut up dried fruits (cranberries, apricots and prunes). I put them in a glass jar and it was ready for my morning breakfast. I didn't have to cook it. However, it still wasn't perfect so I started making it in the morning for the following breakfast. That worked best for me... and eventually, I didn't miss my cereals. 

So thank you, Terry. 😄

But all this wasn't enough. 

Confession: I haven't been exercising. That kind of stopped with the pandemic. I no longer went to Zumba because our teacher moved to Seattle. The other problem was our caretaking of mom as her dementia worsened. 

However... with Art's insistence that I resume our walks, I started giving mom her showers after dinner and we would take a 1 mile uphill walk. I knew mom wouldn't go out of the house with her nightgown. We also have great neighbors who would tell me if anything went awry.


We started walking in September.
According to the World Health Organization: "The expected values for normal fasting blood glucose concentration are between 70 mg/dL (3.9 mmol/L) and 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L). When fasting blood glucose is between 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) changes in lifestyle and monitoring glycemia are recommended."
So you can see my glucose was NOT good. And it hasn't been good now for several years.

I kept a separate chart detailing what I ate and the glucose levels after 2 hours whenever I had a different meal. But the BIGGEST change was when we started that short 1 mile uphill walk. I also listed my glucose on my Fitbit app.


And even more telling was when I didn't get to walk for some reason (rain or whatever), the following morning's glucose level went up.

Walking in the morning when mom was at day care did not show the same results. 

I'll see my regular doctor next month and can't wait to show him my discovery and progress. Yay! 😁

14 comments:

  1. It's good that you're monitoring your health. Small changes can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are making these impirtant changes -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always nice to see results when it comes to your health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job coming up with what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exercise is great but can be difficult to keep up with when other responsibilities intrude. I try to get a walk in every day but sometimes, it doesn't work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard, but you seems to be adapting your lifestyle well. Sue has oatmeal almost every morning. I have granola, but it's not homemade, so it may not be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! You seem well-motivated. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monitoring ones health is a full time job.
    Good work so far. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay, I don't have diabetes, but DH has borderline diabetes and takes meds for it... and oldest son takes meds and insulin. However, I do eat oatmeal (Gluten free oatmeal) almost every morning and add a handful of granola to it. I'm curious to see if it's made any difference to my cholesterol level which hovers around 215 in the past. My next Medicare wellness check is in November. I think it's interesting that your walks affect your glucose level... always knew walking made a difference - in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have tingling in my toes from time to time and got scolded by my doctor (he always scolds me) about my glucose levels and how I am a walking time bomb (see how sweet he is?). So I took up Jazzercise which I actually dreaded because the music did not turn me on. Instead I do Silver and Fit at the YMCA because her music is my kind of music - 60's rock and roll or Lionel Richie, Whitney Houston, etc. And I went back to TaiChi even though I still forget the next step. I also started doing mitochondrial recharge with a handheld machine - so we shall see.

    Unfortunately we are not getting younger and so our bodies are aging too quickly. But we CAN remain healthy with a lot of changes.

    How do you monitor your glucose levels? I only go in every 6 months after labs are done so I don't get daily results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was given a glucose monitor 2 decades ago in Chicago. And then I was given another one at Tripler when I went for a Diabetes workshop there. In Chicago, I was monitored carefully and told to chart my glucose 2 hours after each meal as well as my fasting glucose. When I moved to Hawaii, my doctors weren't as worried and just checked my A1c every 6 months. Buuuttt... now, I'm back to checking my glucose whenever I have a new type of meal. You have to stay under 180 2 hours after concluding the meal.
      Also:
      NORMAL:
      A fasting blood glucose level of 70–99 mg/dL (3.9–5.5 mmol/L) is normal.
      PREDIABETES:
      A fasting blood glucose level of 100–125 mg/dL (5.6–6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes

      So yes, I was definitely in the diabetic range but getting better. I hope my A1c will reflect my fasting glucose so far. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  11. It is good that Art is insistent. We all need a little kick in the butt sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diabetes should always be taken seriously, if you don't complications can start and become serious.
    Keep up your good work and stay on top of good numbers.

    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew exercise makes a difference, but I didn't realize how much it helps! Thanks for this information, Kay. And good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.