Wednesday, February 26, 2025

Losing Friends

Mom used to tell me how sad she was that she'd lost her friends. At 95, she's sadly lost all her closest friends and now even the sisters in Hawaii. She does still have a sister and brother in Japan because they are quite a bit younger than she is. However, she's happy now that she's found more friends at her day care.

But anyway... I just figured it was an unavoidable and sad thing about living to be 95.

But good grief! I've lost too many friends in the last few years now and we were all about the same age. I still can't believe they're gone. I think they'll all be with me forever.

We met Jean and her husband in June, 2007 on a biking (Art's idea) cruise in the Netherlands and Belgium. They were from California living quite close to Art's sister's house. 

Jean was a very loving, caring speech teacher. Maybe that's why we were drawn to each other. 

When she learned I hadn't been on a bike in 30 years, she watched over me like a mother hen, especially when Art was put in a faster paced biking group.

Since she and her husband lived near my sister-in-law we visited with them also whenever we were in California to see Art's family.

Jean and I texted each other often keeping up with what we were doing. 

Her husband called me in June, 2020 when Jean was stricken with uterine cancer. She died in the fall. We were all heartbroken. I still have a framed photo of us all together that she framed and sent me.


I met Ann in 1977 after moving into our Chicagoland neighborhood. There was a tightknit group of us who all became good friends. Our children all became playmates. Ann's daughter was Tiffany's maid of honor. Ann was a nurse and our families spent a lot of our holidays together.

I can't remember what caused Ann's death in 2021. I got news that she was in the hospital and a month later, she was gone. I was in shock and could hardly understand it.


And then there's Peggy. We became best friends in 1975 when we both moved into the neighborhood almost right next door to each other. She drove me everywhere since I didn't drive and then helped me get my drivers license so I could join the preschool carpool. Learning to drive enabled me to go back to college to get a few courses so I could teach in Illinois. I also went back to work teaching. We told each other everything. She and her husband drove from Ohio to Illinois to attend Tiffany's wedding.

I knew Peggy had cancer as a child. But I thought it was gone for good. It came back as leukemia. She died in 2023. Her husband told me she was talking to her late mother and brother when she was dying. We went to her funeral of course. I still have the little wall hangings she gave me decorating my office.


And now Terry. 

Terry and her husband were and are very close friends. Art met them at EPA and they became part of our family.

They were Auntie and Uncle to Tiffany and Keola and came to all their milestone events from preschool on to high school and then to Tiffany's wedding.

Years later, here's Terry with our granddaughter, KC.

Since their wedding anniversary and ours along with another couple were all in January, we had a standing date to go out to a movie and dinner every year in January. 

We were with them last year in May. Terry was fine then. But without warning, she was diagnosed with some rare blood cancer the month after we left.

We were told last month that she'd passed away and I can't quite wrap my brain around it. How? Why?

I just can't believe they're all gone and I'm still devastated and grieving when I think about it. However, I'm also very grateful for all they were to our family. I'm grateful for how they enriched our lives...my life. 

And now... I'm grateful for all the friends and relatives (and blog friends) I have now who continue to enrich and add so much love, fun, knowledge and friendship for me and my family.


28 comments:

  1. Sue met three friends when we moved into this neighbourhood 20 years ago. They are all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, I have not lost a lot of direct friends, but having retired pretty early compared to most, I have lost a number of friends from a generation ahead of me. My grandparents both lived to about 90 years old and their most frequent complaint was that all their friends and even their siblings were gone. We of course tried to make up for that but with our busy lives, it is an impossible task. Losing peer group friends and siblings is not something I'm prepared for nor probably ever will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend from junior high is alive and well in Colorado. My college roommate is alive and well in Texas. Thankfully I have been able to visit with each of them in person a couple of times and we communicate by texts. My very dearest and personal friend was killed in a car accident in 1990.Loss is horrible but memories of fun times keep us together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my high school BFF a little over two decades ago. Although we lived far apart, I miss talking with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had quite a blow from all those deaths. Hasn't happened to me yet nor have I lost any of my 5 siblings. But oldest is 83 so I know something will befall us in the next years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard to lose our contemporaries. My former co-worker and neighbor Diane and I have christened ourselves "funeral buddies". I think we attended three funeral in one year. It really makes you evaluate your own life and wonder where all the time as gone. I am so sorry for your losses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain Kay. I lost my dearest friend of 55 years in 2023 and still grieve but like you, I try to stay positive and am grateful for what I have today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep making new friends for just this reason. My good friends have died and I've yet to find any that are as close as we were. Just calling people and talking on the phone is something from a bygone era and I miss it.

    My family, except for our kids, are gone. We are planning a family trip in June and I have encouraged our son-in-law's mother to accompany us, but she works three jobs and it will too difficult to get away. Times have changed and I try to keep up, but it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear your mother. I am so, so lucky in my ninth decade that a group of four, five with me, 'girlfriends' all the way from public school is still going. But I have lost my sister and brother in law, both of whom were fine, fine friends. And I have lost some friends to distance and change, also sad, even if they are still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recently my two best friends were in different hospitals and I was home with insulin problems. I couldn't help but wonder which of us would go first. I will be so sad when one of us goes, unless it's me, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so sad to lose friends although the cold comfort is that we still keep the memories and love. They live on. I've lost a couple relatives and friends through death but also through drifting apart, also sad although not in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Kay. We who are left behind have to deal with our losses but those who left us are free of suffering, stress, pain, and troubles. It's a very good place to be and one day we, too, will earn our place up there with them.
    My 104 year old artist friend used to say that ALL her friends are dead. Every single classmate. She lost 2 daughters. Her travel companions. And yet, she kept plugging along doing art and bringing joy to all who met her. So what did she do? She made new friends with every class she taught. When she passed away last month it was a relief because it really was her time to go. And she is flying with all her old companions now, free as a bird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh.... Auntie. You just made me cry. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's true that at this age we lose too many friends. I am so sorry you have lost these dear people Kay. Each friend is a treasure and will always be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not stayed in contact with childhood friends, so I don't know how many my age have passed. My teacher friends seem to be hanging on, but we are losing our older friends. Each one leaves a hole in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is always sad to lose family and friends.
    Thinking of you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is hard. I lost a friend yesterday. His entire family is gone now, all of them from cancer. He was only in his late 50s when he died, and sadly, he was the one who lived to the oldest age. His sister lived behind us, and died when she was in her 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sympathy to you for these losses. these were all fairly young people. As we age we start to lose more and more friends and acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you've been truly blessed with good friends through the years. I'm sorry so many have passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My BFF from high school was the first I lost, twenty years ago. I'm sorry our worlds just grow smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sad to say I very much relate to this post and your sorrow. A month ago I wrote a post about my two friends who died suddenly in their 70s, one in Nove. and one this January. They were friends I often met to have coffee with and at church. My dad too said all his friends were dead, he was in his eighties when he said that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is hard, Kay, to lose those close to you (friends and family). I've lost my parents, sister, brother, and a dear friend several years ago. We are the older generation now, so it's not unusual for those of us left to wonder who will be next. But it's true that the older we get, friends (old and new) and family seem to mean more and more to us. Memories shared are truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My condolences for your loss. I thought how awesome that you had such beloved friends, that it says a lot about you that they cherished your friendship and embraced your family. I grappled a long time with my mortality. It got me down for a long time, but I came to a place of acceptance. Instead of looking it as a loss it's a reminder for me to continue embracing life, each day I wake up I am blessed. We're all moving into our sunset but you have so much love from your own family. You'll be surprised at a number of people who do not have anyone at this age. It just teaches us to embrace who we still have left in our lives and to let them know they're loved. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: You’re absolutely right, BB. And I’m really grateful to count you as a blogger friend.

      Delete
  24. It IS mind boggleing to lose so many friends. I've lot my best buddies from jr high and high school. That's a lot of goofy memories. Couldn't tell my band director our stories until he was 75, then he was gone. During night shifts with home health, I'd google other people and nurses I knew...yep, there's their obituary. All of them. I"m only 70, and so surprised many are gone before me. Gotta make new friends with younger ones now. During my week of post-op rotator cuff surgery, I decided the pain was worse than childbirth. Looked at my older skin and told my son it was better than the alternative! Aiming to be older than my mom at 85 before thinking of exiting. I've got too much to do! Hang in there! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: I’m grateful that my elementary/high school best buddies are still here on the islands. It’s a comfort for me. I’m sorry you’ve lost so many friends too, Linda. You’re right about preferring what we have to the alternative. I need to remember this as I grapple with my wrist pain, knee pain, broken tooth, etc.

      Delete
  25. Well, you are a lovely person! All my friends are on line! I'm just not good with people.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.